::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my sweet Eleuke back (it's been on loan). We're playing at an upcoming party and it's an electric-type crowd. Still working on the set list...

I remember taking a standardized test in 7th grade that placed me in the 99th percentile in mathematics. The truth is, I was at best competent at math, but I was extremely good at the deductive reasoning that dominated standardized test back then (and maybe still today). As a result of that test, I was dubbed a math genius, and was put into an accelerated math program. I couldn't begin to keep up and stumbled around for two years, barely passing, until I asked to be put back into the normal math program. It was an awful experience, and I think affects my ability to comprehend more complex mathematics to this day.

This is my public education experience in a nutshell. I was just as bright as the average kid....but I tested VERY well. My parents were told that my IQ was at the genius level. It led to comments on my report cards throughout the rest of my schooling, such as, "Fails to work up to potential", or, "Fails to apply himself to his studies". It led to standards set so high that I couldn't achieve them, and expectations that were beyond my capabilities.

I'm no fan of standardized testing....

This. I got skipped when we moved to a small school district and it was a horrible decision. Just horrible. I would never skip my kid.

I got the highest score on the ACT in my school (we don't take the SATs), but failed approx 50% of my classes and took summer school every freakin year. TELLING ME I WAS SMART DIDN'T HELP ME LEARN. And it sure didn't give me a work ethic.

Testify, my sister!! It is so good to hear that I'm not the only one that felt that way....

I think I posted this before, but here's a problem my son had in the second week of school (1st grade).

6+4=10

"What can you observe about the summative numbers when compared to the whole?"

He's six. He was about to cry from frustration and he almost never cries about anything. What kind of dumbass would word a problem like that for a kid that is supposed to be learning to read?

Why the "expert" the government paid gross amounts of money to develop tests, that's who!
I can't even answer that. What a bunch of crap.

My oldest went to private school from 2 thru 6th grade because of stupid crap like that, (then we couldn't afford it any longer). I homeschooled two of my kids for a year because of crap like that, (that was as long as I could handle them).

If I'd had the money my kids would have NEVER set foot in public school. And I'm a raving liberal who received an awesome public school education. But it's gone to crap since then and not because of the teachers, because of the school administrations not allowing the teachers to actually teach.

Elaine just called, and has boarded her connecting flight in Chicago. She should be home in two hours, or so. It'll be nice. I miss her....

I don't think any of our discussion was pointed at you, at least it wasn't from me. You don't preach here.

Not feeling defensive at all. Just trying not to carry it too far.

I can get all wrapped up in the technicalities of my work. Some of this sh!t is just so freaking wacky it's awesome. And some of it is so freaking oppressive that I want to scream.

Last edited:
I'm sort of sad that the first batch of East-Start ukes that were received appear to have significant defects. As much as I understood the risks this group was taking by ordering direct from a factory, I sort of hoped against hope that they would get good instruments. The bridges I saw on the photos posted were egregious.

With that being said, many of the recipients are approaching it with a good attitude; they knew they were getting them cheap, they expected to have to make some upgrades and tweaks, and are still happy with the deal they got. I think those who thought they would get a Kamoa Evolve at less than half the price will be the most disappointed.

If anything, I think it makes it that much clearer what the middle men (the importers, the dealers, etc.) do to earn their keep, and why the extra dollars we pay for their services are more than worth it.

It's exactly what I expected, maybe better than what I expected.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I do have large hands, and working on cars has become almost impossible. The manufacturers have done this, at least in part, to make it so difficult that the car owner has to take the car to the dealer to be fixed.

That's the reason for the large plastic engine covers on modern cars. They serve no other purpose than to make getting at the engine difficult. I raised the hood on my step-daughter's car the other day, and could not even see, let alone access, the distributor. I gave up, rather than wrestle with that stupid engine cover....

Any car recent enough to have a fancy plastic engine cover is also going to have an electronic, distributor-less ignition.

Quick, hide the ukes!

"Hide" isn't the right word. They're not hidden, because she knows where they are. They're just "put away", except for one at a time. She pays very little attention when there is only one out, but boy, does she take notice if there are several. :D All but my Eastman are currently in their cases in the closet. The rack I built is back out on my workbench. The Eastman is in the single stand, next to my chair, where I always keep a uke....

I know, but I still don't like it, especially when they won't take "no" for an answer. If they've made their first pitch, and the person they're talking to says they're not interested in hearing it, they need to STFU. I've run into many folks that JUST. WON'T. QUIT....

This. These people may think they're creating converts, but as Don shows, they are actually just driving people away and making a bad name for their religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom