::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loaded a gazillion eggs for my hubby to hide in the morning for my adult children. This crap never gets old.

We hid a boatload of eggs at my brother-in-law's house yesterday for our kids (3), his kids (2), and his wife's brother's kids (2). Sheryl and Emma had stuffed enough eggs for each kid to find 16. It's a challenge to find hiding places for that many eggs. Kids had tons of fun, though.

Ahnko Honu (Uncle Turtle in Hawaiian), is, or at least was, a UU member. Great guy. I know he had some serious health issues a few years back, and I've not seen him around in some time. He was one of the original denizens of this very thread....

The whole thread started when Dominicfoundthemooon (also not around for a very long time) noted that AhnkoHonu's post-per-day count had surpassed Deach's. The thread then became a post-fest with Deach working to get his average back up. Slowly the silly posts just to drive up counts faded away and a community was born.

Oh and something I'm proud of regarding my new veggie garden.....it's all organic. I was able to find non-GMO tomato plants. Part of me is all freaked out about what Monsanto has done to our food and the hoarding of seeds. It just seems wrong.

My sis planted a gazillion sunflowers last year with the idea of roasting the seeds, something I used to do with my dad when I was young. They were big and beautiful but the shells were empty. After the fact we figured out the seeds were made to NOT produce seed meat.

That just pissed me off.

Not to defend Monsanto or anything...but you do realize that not everything said about them is true, right? And that some of the things they have done have been necessary to feed an overpopulated planet?

Organic is swell and all, but it won't sustain the planet.

I used to help my mother can tomatoes every year when I was a kid. We did lots of peaches, too, because we had our own tree. All of her canning supplies are gone, now. I'd have to buy all new stuff if I were to try getting into it again. Nah. It's time to downsize, not buy more kitchen stuff....

Sheryl cans every year - peaches, pears, applesauce, fruit cocktail, and tomatoes if we have them.

Usually in the 150 - 170 jar range every year.

Mrs. Butterfingers here did this to my sister's birthday cheesecake yesterday...

DOH!!!

cakeoops.jpg

That is funny. We have had things like that happen. It is followed by "the talk." Kids do and say the darnedest things.

Time to run out to the John Deere dealer for an oil filter. I could have sworn I had one here, on hand, but I sure can't find it. The good news is that the mower started up without difficulty. The bad news is that I spilled some dirty motor oil on our driveway. :( Luckily, there was a new bag of kitty litter right there in the garage. I think I may have found a way to fix the problem with that pesky belt, too.

So far, so good....

Not to defend Monsanto or anything...but you do realize that not everything said about them is true, right? And that some of the things they have done have been necessary to feed an overpopulated planet?

I understand their argument. But if I'm going to take the time to (try and) grow food for my family, I want to do it as healthy and organic as I can, that's all.

I wish I had the brains/time/energy and room to grow more of our food. If you have 11 minutes, in my opinion, these people are doing the right thing. I know they are crazy by most peoples standards but I think if more people could do this, it's be a better planet.

http://www.upworthy.com/see-how-one...entire-farm-into-a-small-city-home?g=2&c=tkp1

Congrats on the new baby! Is it as pretty as the pictures?

Oh yes... Its so nice. There is a spot where the finish is irregular... But its on the end and You can't even see it at all... That stuff just gives it character. There is no wear on the thing and that's impressive for how old it is. The guy must have taken really good care of it. It sounds so beautiful.

All this gardening talk is making me anxious to get started. I am terrible at keeping things alive but now that I have the house, I want to plant tomatoes and zucchini and some herbs. I think we are going to start this weekend.

This.
Monsanto is in the news often here. They do lots of ag testing in Hawaii because of the year-round growing season.
I believe in GMO labeling so folks can make their own decisions. It is a shame that the non-GMO people are just spreading lies though. I have seen the stuff my half-sister (on my dad's side) posts on FB about all the rallies. They show photographic "evidence" of how Monsanto is killing Hawaii - look at the ground! It is all dried up and dying! - well they are showing the "dry" side of the island, where guess what everything is dry and dead unless you water it. The non-GMO lobbyists are manipulating people.

I understand their argument. But if I'm going to take the time to (try and) grow food for my family, I want to do it as healthy and organic as I can, that's all.

I wish I had the brains/time/energy and room to grow more of our food. If you have 11 minutes, in my opinion, these people are doing the right thing. I know they are crazy by most peoples standards but I think if more people could do this, it's be a better planet.

http://www.upworthy.com/see-how-one...entire-farm-into-a-small-city-home?g=2&c=tkp1
That would be really cool to do!

Around here though the REAL problem is that they are removing the farmland and building more homes. They are not renewing old / distressed neighborhoods that have abandoned, rotting homes in beautiful areas - they are developing current agricultural land - forcing Hawaii to import more food, and raising the cost of living. We went for a little drive yesterday, and saw a whole neighborhood of what were once nice tract homes now surrounded by brown weeds, toppled dead trees, with graffiti and busted out windows, just a mile away from the new Costco, McDonald's and Home Depot, and closer to the beach than where we live. A mile away in the other direction they are building a new elementary school and a bunch of new multifamily and single family homes. We also drove past a closed school by those abandoned homes. Why not just refresh that area? The roads are already there... I wish we could just buy one of those lots and build a home there.

Sally, it seems pretty normal to me because my mom had horses, and chickens, and grew lots of stuff in her garden in Santa Ana heights. I would love to do that if I had the $ and the land.

All this gardening talk is making me anxious to get started. I am terrible at keeping things alive but now that I have the house, I want to plant tomatoes and zucchini and some herbs. I think we are going to start this weekend.

I have a patch in front of my house that's about 5' x 3' that had some shrubbery that were destroyed by the ice storms we had earlier this winter. I want to put something new in there... any suggestions? I like rhododendron, but they bloom so briefly, I think I'd like something with more longevity. Thinking seriously about azalea, but open to other ideas. Gardeners, help me out!

That was pretty cool. Some of what they are growing I would never use, but I like the idea of it all. I'm surprised that they didn't talk at all about solar hot water, or solar electricity production. I'm also surprised that they would advocate using their washing machine waste water, which would contain soap, to water their fruit trees. They are certainly bringing themselves closer to being part of the solution to the world's problems, and farther from being part of the cause....

Hi, Catulele, I see you down there at the bottom of the page (again). You should chime in and join the conversation! We don't bite, well, at least not much. :D

Welcome to UU, and welcome to the Poho thread. It's much more fun to participate than to just lurk, though. Go ahead, jump in....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom