::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix is more like a NASCAR race than normal driving. Everybody's going over the speed limit, following closely as if they knew what they were doing. I never knew Mario Andretti had so many extra children; everybody seems to think they inherited his skills. I've driven it many times and it is always like this. Long, steep grades, both up and down. Everybody is in a hurry to get off the hill.

I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix is more like a NASCAR race than normal driving. Everybody's going over the speed limit, following closely as if they knew what they were doing. I never knew Mario Andretti had so many extra children; everybody seems to think they inherited his skills. I've driven it many times and it is always like this. Long, steep grades, both up and down. Everybody is in a hurry to get off the hill.

Sounds like California driving. More SoCal than NorCal.

Sounds like California driving. More SoCal than NorCal.

How's the trip going?

Have you had to pull over yet? :)

I know of nothing similar in California, not the Grapevine, Tehachapi Pass, or I-80 from Donner Pass to Auburn. 4-8% grades, the road is always bending one way or the other. One of the grades is sign-posted as 18 miles long. That's the warmup. Oy!

Haven't had to stop the car. But after all, they are now young men, and better able to maintain the peace.

Aloha Errrrrrrybody!
Ukulele festival today. Will give full update tomorrow. Had lots of fun. At one point, I had to decide between jamming with Kimo Hussey or visiting with Chuck Moore! Yeah life was full of difficult choices. I met mm Stan! It was a great day. Once I have a real keyboard I will tell you all about it.

Say "Hi" to Chuck and Stan for me. What a super awesome time you must be having there. I hope to make it there someday. Sigh.......

Aloha Errrrrrrybody!
Ukulele festival today. Will give full update tomorrow. Had lots of fun. At one point, I had to decide between jamming with Kimo Hussey or visiting with Chuck Moore! Yeah life was full of difficult choices. I met mm Stan! It was a great day. Once I have a real keyboard I will tell you all about it.

Missed you at the festival today Gary. Hung out with Uncle Rod.

Name dropper.

I hope you had a great time.

Code:
G              C                    D
There'll be no strings to bind your hands
          C                    G    C D
not if my love can't bind your heart.
G              C              D
And there's no need to take a stand
           C              G    C D
for it was I who chose to start.
Am       C               D
I see no need to take me home,
Am       C                 D
I'm old enough to face the dawn.

G            C            D       C D
Just call me angel of the morning, Angel
G             C                D         C D
just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby.
Am          C              G
then slowly turn away, from me.

True dat.

Unless you are a preternaturally old late-launcher like me. I spent my 40s doing my 20s & 30s thing. 50 was for catchup. Now my 60s are when I know what I want but most of it is neither physically nor morally possible.

Oh crap, this is pretty much me.

An interesting thing happened while on vacation. My daughter had seen, and checked out, a small, local, ice cream shop. It is near a restaurant when we would all be going to have dinner, so she thought it might be a nice treat. This was a week before Elaine and I arrived.

When you enter the shop, you are in a small room and place your ice cream order through a window. My daughter heard music....uke music....and then it stopped long enough for a voice to say, "I'll be right with you!". Then the music resumed, briefly, and stopped again when a lady appeared at the window. It wasn't until then that my daughter realized that the music was live; she thought it had been a recording playing.

Apparently the shop owner is quite the uke fan, and always has a uke at the shop, to play during the slow times. My daughter told her that I play, and that I was coming the following week, and promised to bring me in.

We went, and I met Julia. She's a very nice woman, and a very enthusiastic uke player. We chatted about ukes and the uke community. I was wearing a UU t-shirt, and she says she has lurked a bit.

Then she said, "I'm taking after Miss Mim, mixing ice cream with ukuleles." How cool is that? And how many people call Mim Miss Mim? We had a nice chat, and then it was time to go. She's selling the shop, and closing in October, for some reason. But if you're in Purcellville, Virginia between now and then....

ETA: I forgot to mention that the shop is called Gruto's Ice Cream....

That is a great story Don. I love randomly running into fellow enthusiasts. The other day We took son #3 to he a new cell phone, and the guy who helped us saw my UU shirt and could stop talking about how much he love Ukes. at one point, he went and got his phone, and paired it to a Bluetooth speaker, and played uke music for the rest of the time we were there.

I see I missed (yet another) Mike. How's it goin' Gary?

Last edited:
Missed you at the festival today Gary. Hung out with Uncle Rod.

Was he with the UU gang? A really tall guy from Texas, and a couple other people from Southern California?

Did you meet MDS725 (Mark)? He went out there this year.

We can hang out next year, 'cause I'll be back!

I know of nothing similar in California, not the Grapevine, Tehachapi Pass, or I-80 from Donner Pass to Auburn. 4-8% grades, the road is always bending one way or the other. One of the grades is sign-posted as 18 miles long. That's the warmup. Oy!

Haven't had to stop the car. But after all, they are now young men, and better able to maintain the peace.

Oh, you have to turn a lot with hills. I was just thinking of the way people fly bumper to bumper at 80mph in SoCal, like they're drafting you. Up here people drive that fast but take it personally if you tailgate, or cut in too close. In SoCal, that's just how it is, up here people get road rage and shoot at each other.

Code:
G              C                    D
There'll be no strings to bind your hands
          C                    G    C D
not if my love can't bind your heart.
G              C              D
And there's no need to take a stand
           C              G    C D
for it was I who chose to start.
Am       C               D
I see no need to take me home,
Am       C                 D
I'm old enough to face the dawn.

G             C                D         C D
just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby.
Am          C              G
then slowly turn away, from me.

I remember this one from when I was a kid. Can't remember the artist right now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom