::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sort of sad that the first batch of East-Start ukes that were received appear to have significant defects. As much as I understood the risks this group was taking by ordering direct from a factory, I sort of hoped against hope that they would get good instruments. The bridges I saw on the photos posted were egregious.

With that being said, many of the recipients are approaching it with a good attitude; they knew they were getting them cheap, they expected to have to make some upgrades and tweaks, and are still happy with the deal they got. I think those who thought they would get a Kamoa Evolve at less than half the price will be the most disappointed.

If anything, I think it makes it that much clearer what the middle men (the importers, the dealers, etc.) do to earn their keep, and why the extra dollars we pay for their services are more than worth it.

The bridges and the tailpieces on those ukes were obviously made for a six stringed instrument. They were just crudely repurposed for use on a uke. I wish them luck, but I didn't expect great things....

Good morning (afternoon) Hos.

In the middle of the new common core testing.

I'm convinced it's just another lever to break up public education. If they want to "fix" education throw money at the teachers. Attract the best and brightest and raise the bar for those wishing to go into education. Make being a teacher an attractive job, with the respect it deserves and it will naturally weed out the incompetent and underqualified because they won't be able to cut it.

Teaching to a test to measure a teacher's worth doesn't even make sense. There are too many variables with each and every student for a standardized test to be a measure of a teacher's competence. Some children WILL be left behind . . . and that's okay as long as we can also show them a path to being productive and contributing to society.

I'm getting upset so I'll step down now.

. . . but this is a stupid test and someone is making a ton of money from it.

Don't get my wife started on common core education! What a stupid idea....

My sister is having a hard time with her stepson's homework. Sixth grade, I think. And she has a grad degree.

This is why I hired Shaye a tutor in high school. I never got past Algebra 2, even in college. Never took Physics or Chemistry, etc. Our education was very basic at my high school.

I'm sort of sad that the first batch of East-Start ukes that were received appear to have significant defects. As much as I understood the risks this group was taking by ordering direct from a factory, I sort of hoped against hope that they would get good instruments. The bridges I saw on the photos posted were egregious.

With that being said, many of the recipients are approaching it with a good attitude; they knew they were getting them cheap, they expected to have to make some upgrades and tweaks, and are still happy with the deal they got. I think those who thought they would get a Kamoa Evolve at less than half the price will be the most disappointed.

If anything, I think it makes it that much clearer what the middle men (the importers, the dealers, etc.) do to earn their keep, and why the extra dollars we pay for their services are more than worth it.

"I provide a service, and this service costs money!"

My sister is having a hard time with her stepson's homework. Sixth grade, I think. And she has a grad degree.

This is why I hired Shaye a tutor in high school. I never got past Algebra 2, even in college. Never took Physics or Chemistry, etc. Our education was very basic at my high school.

I think I posted this before, but here's a problem my son had in the second week of school (1st grade).

6+4=10

"What can you observe about the summative numbers when compared to the whole?"

He's six. He was about to cry from frustration and he almost never cries about anything. What kind of dumbass would word a problem like that for a kid that is supposed to be learning to read?

Why the "expert" the government paid gross amounts of money to develop tests, that's who!

I think I posted this before, but here's a problem my son had in the second week of school (1st grade).

6+4=10

"What can you observe about the summative numbers when compared to the whole?"

He's six. He was about to cry from frustration and he almost never cries about anything. What kind of dumbass would word a problem like that for a kid that is supposed to be learning to read?

Why the "expert" the government paid gross amounts of money to develop tests, that's who!

I remember taking a standardized test in 7th grade that placed me in the 99th percentile in mathematics. The truth is, I was at best competent at math, but I was extremely good at the deductive reasoning that dominated standardized test back then (and maybe still today). As a result of that test, I was dubbed a math genius, and was put into an accelerated math program. I couldn't begin to keep up and stumbled around for two years, barely passing, until I asked to be put back into the normal math program. It was an awful experience, and I think affects my ability to comprehend more complex mathematics to this day.

I remember taking a standardized test in 7th grade that placed me in the 99th percentile in mathematics. The truth is, I was at best competent at math, but I was extremely good at the deductive reasoning that dominated standardized test back then (and maybe still today). As a result of that test, I was dubbed a math genius, and was put into an accelerated math program. I couldn't begin to keep up and stumbled around for two years, barely passing, until I asked to be put back into the normal math program. It was an awful experience, and I think affects my ability to comprehend more complex mathematics to this day.

Same here. I test well. On IQ tests I'm a genius. In real life . . . I test well.

Speaking of reading, for Easter I brought over a book for each of my nieces. A read and touch one for the little one, and an easy reader for my Kindergartener. Then we read it together. She can sound out a LOT of words. I love it!!

Spellcheck doesn't like Kindergartener but I don't like Kindergartner. So, hmm. Kindergarden? Kindergardener? Both flagged by spellcheck. Anyway, in a few months she will be a first grader and it won't matter.

Same here. I test well. On IQ tests I'm a genius. In real life . . . I test well.

This. I got skipped when we moved to a small school district and it was a horrible decision. Just horrible. I would never skip my kid.

I got the highest score on the ACT in my school (we don't take the SATs), but failed approx 50% of my classes and took summer school every freakin year. TELLING ME I WAS SMART DIDN'T HELP ME LEARN. And it sure didn't give me a work ethic.

Being on "the inside" people don't know how much crap has to be waded through by both brands and dealers. Seriously. You have to factor in a "crap risk" with every import and even as a dealer I have lost money in having to take instruments back that had defects I did not catch, and yall know I fine-tooth comb all my ukes. Now imagine getting a whole container load of sigh unseen ukes that might be crap.

So yeah... I so was aching when I saw they ordered those because I was on the dealer end of the Kamoas and I know what problems they have. And they ended up with the downgraded pickups as well. Which is not good and I know a bit more about those as well. But I did not want to be the whistle blower and seem like I was trying to diss their dream or bring business to myself. But I am glad they see it as a good investment for the base of what could be a nice uke once the problems were worked out.

(And one of my evolves even came with the ratting detached spring). Seriously... they had issues. Mine were already double quality controlled when they went out and I still had to take back a good amount of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom