Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to hold an Ukulele :D

Default How to hold an Ukulele :D

I wouldnt call me a real beginner, but there is a problem I cant solve... I dont know how to hold the ukulele while Im sitting or while im standing...
    Nearly all the weight of the ukulele is on my left hand. Im holding the ukulele while playing the chords with my left hand.
    There must be a way to hold it "like a guitar", where you have a free left hand and all the weight is on the right arm or your legg...

Playing while standing is the same, I hold it with the left hand and push it a little bit on my brest with the right arm (but it doesnt effect much)...

Mahalo nui loa!

(another thing: I know many chords and stuff, what could I learn next?)
    Last edited by Gelli; 01-25-2009 at 05:19 AM.
    My Ukulele: Ko'Aloha Pineapple

hold with your fingers

cbf making pictures so!!

while standing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yBsMLXROAU

and sitting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vE_x07jZHo

hope it helps

All right, but do you guys real hold it with your left hand?
    With guitar I can play for example the e chord only with fingers, my hand is not on the guitar. I dont have to hold the guitar with the left hand. This is a wonderfull free feeling which Im missing on Ukulele.
    Maybe I just exegerate

It takes time to develop enough Force to make the uke levitate in front of your sternum, which is how the pros do it. But mind you, it is not an easy task. Aldrine is still holding his Mika like a first-grade padawan, and Jake has not found enough Confidence within himself to truely go one-on-one with his Kamaka and let it carry its own weight.
    I could show you what it looks like, but my webcam goes snowy because of the Force Field so you will have to take my word for it.

As for things to learn: lots of chords is nice, but what about dead-on rhythm, incredible strums (triples, thumb upstroke etc) and strum patterns (do a search and you will find some practice patterns other members have made up), and lightning-quick chord changes on every count of a four-beat measure, for instance?
    sigs disabled kthxbai

Hey Gelli,

Judging by your avatar picture, the problem might be that you're strumming your ukulele in the wrong spot.

A guitar is strummed kind of over sound hole, but a uke is typically strummed much further up the neck. (I tend to strum around the 12th-14th frets.)

The body then sits a bit in the crook of your arm. Maybe that will help.

JJ

Nah, thats just a pic I found with google.

I strum on the frets (my uke only has 12 ), but I cant really hold it with my right arm and strum in the same time (standing). If I hold it that strong, that my left hand is free, I cant really move my hand anymore.
    I mean. Playing works and I never had really problems, but its really annoying when you try a new strumming pattern and while chord-changing your ukulele is kind of falling.

Here's what my ukulele teacher told me... because I had the same problem holding the ukulele.... works for both sitting and standing
    1. Back of the ukulele's body is flat on your stomach
    2. Right fingers are braced firmly
    3. The neck of the ukulele is resting gently on your left index finger
    4. The neck should be in the same line as your shoulders
    5. Be relaxed and comfortable

Strumming....
    1. Use right index finger (down stroke and up stroke)
    2. Always keep your right finger relaxed
    3. Strum over the fretboard (where the body meets the neck)

I couldn't figure this out either... so I ended up putting on a strap button

I'm a pansy, though...

Quote Originally Posted by beeejums View Post
    I couldn't figure this out either... so I ended up putting on a strap button
    Yeah, that's how it starts. All nice an innocent. "Just a strap button".

Next, you start toying around with low-G. What harm could it be, right?

Then you start using a pick. Oh, it's felt at first. Nothing too bad. But then felt doesn't cut it, and you move on to harder stuff.

Later, you begin to wonder what a couple of extra strings would sound like. Of course, you'll need a longer scale and a larger body for that...

Next thing you know, you're looking in the mirror, and brother, you don't like what you see. There's a vacant, hollow, possibly mullet-framed face staring back at you.

You want to undo things. Turn back the clock to those innocent, carefree days when you didn't even have a strap.

But it's too late. The damage has been done.

You're a guitarist.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele JJ View Post
    Yeah, that's how it starts. All nice an innocent. "Just a strap button".

Next, you start toying around with low-G. What harm could it be, right?

Then you start using a pick. Oh, it's felt at first. Nothing too bad. But then felt doesn't cut it, and you move on to harder stuff.

Later, you begin to wonder what a couple of extra strings would sound like. Of course, you'll need a longer scale and a larger body for that...

Next thing you know, you're looking in the mirror, and brother, you don't like what you see. There's a vacant, hollow, possibly mullet-framed face staring back at you.

You want to undo things. Turn back the clock to those innocent, carefree days when you didn't even have a strap.

But it's too late. The damage has been done.

You're a guitarist.

JJ
    JJ are YOU A GUITARIST?????
    BENEATH THE CLOTHES, YOU FIND A MAN. AND BENEATH THE MAN, YOU FIND.. HIS NUCLEUS.. HAHA

http://youtube.com/soulfunkadeliq
    http://www.myspace.com/soulfunkadeliq
    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...mber.php?u=284

Thread Information