Korala Explore concert uke - Review

bazmaz

Reaction score
that uke is exactly the same as my Clearwater, great review Baz

flexy neck, how scary. that would certainly kill sustain. ODU has a flexy headstock bend which kills its sustain.

If the frets are abs wouldn't that mean they would wear faster than polycabonate? Will have to see what bugsgear can do with his.

I'm actually quite taken by it. The bendy neck does not manifest when played. Got a good tone. For £30 it is louder and better sounding than a Dolphin, so perhaps 'what's not to like'.

re the polycarbonate - I'm unsure - some list it as ABS, some as poly, some as plastic!

Mind you - both my Flea and Fluke frets are worn badly so the so called big daddy of the plastic fingerboard doesn't last either...

Nope - I bought this one myself, as I usually do.

I get some on loan, but only on strict understanding that I write what I choose to write.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:
Great thorough review. The Concert size would actually sell it for me, because I like sopranos, but I am not as keen on them as on the Concert. So, I could get an Explore and take it off into the Pyrenees with no worries, Winter or Summer.

Yeah - I can see that.

Just reckon that if this was soprano, five quid cheaper they would have a giant killer on their hands (and would probably have less issue with the bendy neck!)

Excellent review. Looks like a great idea. It's a cheapie uke for someone who really has no use for a soprano. Like me (hmm...)

Whilst it would seem to be easy for me to say 'I wish I got paid' - I actually don't wish that at all. Removes any sense of impartiality.

I know one uke distributor who asked me to look at something and he wanted the final say on the wording. I refused and he then refused to send me the instrument to trial - thats a real shame - obviously was concerned about something.

On very rare occasions I have been left to keep the instrument in question (when they are cheap ones and not worth the postage to return them), but in those cases I always ensure that they get given away either to charity or in competitions - like the Moselele Bamboo uke that is currently in a competition.

I recommend the Makala a lot - but never say that they are perfect, and always say you should get one from a good store who will do a string upgrade and check on setup, particularly action, nut and saddle height. Straight from the factory (or Amazon) and they can be woeful.

Don't mind stating in my reviews where something is badly wrong - check out my review of the Eleuke Peanut - i got a massive backlash for that one......

Last edited:
I appreciate your honesty. But I don't understand why anyone would spend money on new strings and setup for a $49 ukulele. Bottom line, your better off just spending $100+ at a decent shop. Unless you're looking for a prop or don't care if it gets dropped....

Not all of us can spare $100+.
I'm quite happy (understatement) with my well setup Dolphin, and would probably buy the Korala if Omega would ship to my country.

I appreciate your honesty. But I don't understand why anyone would spend money on new strings and setup for a $49 ukulele. Bottom line, your better off just spending $100+ at a decent shop. Unless you're looking for a prop or don't care if it gets dropped....

Easy to say if you have the money - many of my readers dont. I dont like recommending the ultra cheap ukes, but for those who are insistent - a Dolphin is my choice. Actually, a good store will only charge the cost of the strings on top and should adjust nut for nothing (certainly, those I recommend do). As such the Dolphin then only costs about £30 - £35

I own a setup Dolphin of my own, as well as owning ukes that cost 25 times the price (with my most expensive one). You know what - I still love the Dolphin. I think they sound great and they are ukes I dont care about too much. I've even gigged with a Dolphin.

(ps - you dont need to convince me spending more is the way forward... I've owned dozens and dozens and played hundreds..)

Not all of us can spare $100+.
I'm quite happy (understatement) with my well setup Dolphin, and would probably buy the Korala if Omega would ship to my country.

Maybe I just got a bad uke, that's the chance you take online I guess. But.. I didn't manage to pickup a Asmus solid wood sapele concert sized uke for $69 and free shipping. It has a plastic nut and saddle but the setup was is very good and sounds OK. Final cost is about the same.

Have you reviewed the Asmus or Eddy Finn ukuleles? I'll go check your website but if not, then please do.

I haven't as yet. Played a couple of Eddy Finns and was quite pleased with them

I got an email from Omega about the Explore. I thought I might get one for my granddaughter's birthday in April. The price is right, the bright colours would appeal the all plastic construction I felt would be good, but then I saw it's concert scale and at that point I had second thoughts. I have a solid top Korala concert which I like and still play occasionally, so I felt the quality would be OK. Soprano scale and a fiver cheaper and they would have a winner.

I agree about the soprano scale thing - That would make a cracking little 'take anywhere' instrument.

Finally found a seller in the Netherlands. The Korala will be available from February 3, for an estimated price of 29 euro. Needless to say I signed up for that bargain.

Edit: ordered it for 29 euro + 7 euro p&p for a total of 36 euro, which comes to 30£ or 49$.

Last edited:
Top Bottom