Seeking yet another answer regarding unwound low-G (Fremont Blacklines)

Booli

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am not sure if this 'Buying Tips' section or the 'Tech Talk' section is the best place for this question, so I apologize for posting here (If I am in the wrong place), but this topic is mainly about buying strings...

... in order to solve a problem (I'll post over there instead if that is recommended, please tell me if it is, but I wanted to give context).

I have searched here extensively on the forums, and read through no less than 25 different message threads so far, and I still can not seem to find an answer to this:

Do THESE Fremont Blacklines strings have a WOUND or UNWOUND low-G string 'in the packet'?

FREMONT BLACKLINE FLOUROCARBON LOW G SOPRANO & CONCERT UKULELE STRING SET
http://elderly.com/accessories/names/fremont-blackline-flourocarbon-low-g-soprano-and-c--STRFMG.htm

or

Freemont Blackline Medium Ukulele Strings
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/freemont

What is throwing me off is that Uke Republic ALSO sells a single low-G string, (click on the pull-down item on the page linked above to see it) and I have no way to verify if that is a WOUND or UNWOUND string, without calling either of the two vendors above, and I'm not sure that they could even tell me...

I have googled far and wide and can not seem to find a web site for Fremont (the company) to find out how they are packaged, OR what the string tensions are compared to the D'Addario, Savarez, Aquila, Worths, SouthCoast, Martin...etc

Anybody with info - please advise.

Use Case & Background: I have Aquila 'new' Nylgut strings (not sure how they differ from just 'plain' Nylgut) on my newly acquired Concert Lava Flea (last month) with a PHD low-G (bought several here from the UU store). I had to ever so slightly file the string slot at the bridge, with a tiny metal nail file in order to get the string to slot-in (emery boards are actually too thick to fit in the slot).

The PHD string went into the nut just fine with no modifications needed. No buzzing, the action is fine and only about 2 bars of sharp intonation at the 12th fret (as per the Planet Waves NS Micro tuner) (& when compared to the hi-G Aquila which was dead-on all the way to the end of the fret board), which I can live with...(not messing with the molded plastic nut, which would require a whole fretboard replacement if I mess it up)

It works and it sounds fine but it seems that now that I am enjoying almost perfect intonation, that I am learning about and perceiving other issues, such as the low-G string not having as much tension as I would like.

(As an aside, on my classical guitars I have pretty much stuck with either Martin M160 strings or the D'Addario EJ27H 'hard tension' both of which excite the soundboard of the guitars quite nicely.)

Because my Flea has the polycarbonate fretboard, they recommend NOT using a wound low-G, which I try to avoid any way due to the string noise.

On the Flea, the PHD low-G string is fine for strumming, but when finger-picking and I pluck it with my thumb, it feels like a rubber band, wobbly and sounds a bit hollow compared to the Nylgut, allthough the volume level is nicely matched across this string setup.

Note that I pluck with my finger pads, but strum with my fingernails in a sort of flamenco-inspired style most of the time...I have tried to grow my nails longer, but it does not take, and I get too bothered by them (never had longer nails my whole life) and end up accidentally-on-purpose filing them too short. :p

I have the EXACT same string setup on my Epiphone LP, as well as my KALA KA-T tenor, and I do not notice the tension being inadequate for me on those instruments. I actually preferred the tone of the wound low-G that came in the Aquila Nylgut set, but I use the Epiphone for recording a lot, and I'd prefer not to have to deal with the string noise (which is a different problem). Maybe this single string on the Flea is a dud?

I should also mention that I've taken to tuning all my ukes up to D-tuning, A,D,F#,B, as I prefer the slightly happier/brighter tone this gives, and it seems to cause the soundbox and soundboard to resonate significantly more (it is quite a difference) and give more volume than with the standard C-tuning of G,C,E,A.

So if there are any ideas you might have to assist in finding out about the Fremont Blacklines low-G being wound or not, and the Fremont Blacklines string tensions, I would LOVE to hear them.

Bonus points for knowing the web site for Fremont too.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

-Booli

Do THESE Fremont Blacklines strings have a WOUND or UNWOUND low-G string 'in the packet'?

FREMONT BLACKLINE FLOUROCARBON LOW G SOPRANO & CONCERT UKULELE STRING SET
http://elderly.com/accessories/names/fremont-blackline-flourocarbon-low-g-soprano-and-c--STRFMG.htm

I have what appears to be the same set on hand, and it's definitely UNwound. AFAIK Fremont doesn't make a soprano/concert set that comes with a wound low G (but they do make a single wound low G for all uke sizes that I think is pretty great!).

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Fremont black unwound G.
Felt really fat and floppy to me, not as much tone.

For low-G, I either bite the bullet and go wound.. or the Aquila red unwound low-G works better IMO, even if the rest of the strings are Fremont.

I have what appears to be the same set on hand, and it's definitely UNwound. AFAIK Fremont doesn't make a soprano/concert set that comes with a wound low G (but they do make a single wound low G for all uke sizes that I think is pretty great!).

Thanks for clearing that up. So it seems that the only way that they manufacture the 'set' of low-G Blacklines is ALL unwound. Correct?

How is the tension on the unwound G-string? Is it floppy or is it tight? (I know, this is a relative question) but if you compare the G-strings tension to the C-strings tension, does it seem adequate or not?

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Fremont black unwound G.
Felt really fat and floppy to me, not as much tone.

For low-G, I either bite the bullet and go wound.. or the Aquila red unwound low-G works better IMO, even if the rest of the strings are Fremont.

I saw something about special care being needed to use the Aquila red strings, but I cant find that thread, do you know about caring for them? If so please advise.

Also, I remember reading a few months back here on UU that folks with the Aquila red strings would break often and much sooner than other strings, and something about that they have improved since then, but I am not sure if that was on UU or on another forum I was reading about it. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Thanks for clearing that up. So it seems that the only way that they manufacture the 'set' of low-G Blacklines is ALL unwound. Correct?

How is the tension on the unwound G-string? Is it floppy or is it tight? (I know, this is a relative question) but if you compare the G-strings tension to the C-strings tension, does it seem adequate or not?

Quite honestly I didn't care for the Fremont low G set at all - the tension was too floppy on all 4 strings (which is why I've had a extra set lying around for a couple years!) but I tend to prefer really high tension. I ended up using Fremont Hards with a guitar D string for a while before abandoning Fremonts altogether for Martins with a guitar D string. Now that Fremont makes a wound low G, though, I'm using that plus Martin tenor strings on my concert uke, and I've been pretty satisfied with that combo.

And yes, I'm pretty sure the Fremont set is all unwound, unless this has changed in the couple years since I last bought them. But I've only ever seen the WOUND Fremont string sold as a single.

Quite honestly I didn't care for the Fremont low G set at all - the tension was too floppy on all 4 strings (which is why I've had a extra set lying around for a couple years!) but I tend to prefer really high tension. I ended up using Fremont Hards with a guitar D string for a while before abandoning Fremonts altogether for Martins with a guitar D string. Now that Fremont makes a wound low G, though, I'm using that plus Martin tenor strings on my concert uke, and I've been pretty satisfied with that combo.

And yes, I'm pretty sure the Fremont set is all unwound, unless this has changed in the couple years since I last bought them. But I've only ever seen the WOUND Fremont string sold as a single.

janeray1940: Thank you for your reply.

I too am a fan of higher tension strings (as per my info above on how my guitars are strung) and am just really learning about all of this tension info now, despite 'just' always getting higher tension strings on the guitars in the past, driven mostly by 'it sounding better', and now I am no longer content in my ignorance about the relationship that string tension has on the sound and playability of the instrument.

My ukulele strings experience are thus far only with the 'GHS black nylon Hawaiian strings' (cheap @ $2.99 on amazon) on my Mahalo U-30 soprano (also cheap on sale @musiciansfriend.com for $26), which is kind of a lost cause because the intonation is so bad, but as far as tension and sound goes, they are fine, and my only other strings that I've used are the combo of Aquila Nylgut/PhD strings which I have on all my other ukes, and I am a fan of the Nylgut 'texture' for the right hand, as they seem to have a bit of a rougher surface than say for example the standard nylon/flourocarbon classical guitar strings, and it seems that this helps the plucking sound to be more crisp to my ears.

Do you know if:

A) Tenor strings on a concert provide higher tension, and at the same tuning possibilities, i.e. D-tuning or C-tuning?

B) Would my pursuit of higher tension strings end up in pulling the bridge too hard (or off) on a Flea if I keep it around 40lbs-50lbs total for the whole string set?

C) has anyone tested or have experience with what would be the maximum harmless-to-the-instrument tension for a Flea or Fluke?

I know I am asking lots of questions, but I am now really trying to get the maximum potential out of my instruments, as opposed to just being apathetic regarding strings, which is fine for some folks (I am no no way judging anyone here - to each our own), but the engineer part of my brain has gotten hold of me, and it is holding fast for me to figure out all of this...

Any other ideas are most appreciated...:)

- Booli

Do you know if:

A) Tenor strings on a concert provide higher tension, and at the same tuning possibilities, i.e. D-tuning or C-tuning?

B) Would my pursuit of higher tension strings end up in pulling the bridge too hard (or off) on a Flea if I keep it around 40lbs-50lbs total for the whole string set?

C) has anyone tested or have experience with what would be the maximum harmless-to-the-instrument tension for a Flea or Fluke?

I know I am asking lots of questions, but I am now really trying to get the maximum potential out of my instruments, as opposed to just being apathetic regarding strings, which is fine for some folks (I am no no way judging anyone here - to each our own), but the engineer part of my brain has gotten hold of me, and it is holding fast for me to figure out all of this...

Any other ideas are most appreciated...:)

- Booli

Tenor strings on a concert definitely provide higher tension (and greater volume), at least in my experience with Martin tenor strings on my Kamaka concert. As for pulling the bridge off - it's always a possibility, but I checked with one of the luthiers at my shop before putting them on and he compared the diameters of the Martin soprano/concert set to the Martin tenor set and said it "shouldn't" be a problem. I don't get into the technical side of things much (diameters and pounds and such!) so hopefully someone more technical can speak to that - I just go by the sound and the feel. When I first put strings on, I tune up to D for a day or so; after that I play in C tuning usually. I've done both with the Martin strings/Kamaka concert combination and several months have passed - so far, no issues with the bridge.

Last edited:
I saw something about special care being needed to use the Aquila red strings, but I cant find that thread, do you know about caring for them? If so please advise.

Also, I remember reading a few months back here on UU that folks with the Aquila red strings would break often and much sooner than other strings, and something about that they have improved since then, but I am not sure if that was on UU or on another forum I was reading about it. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Upon their initial release, there was a topic made where some people were saying that their new Aquila low-G string kept snapping on them.
Since then, it seems Aquila has modified their formula.

In my experience, I've been through about 3 or 4 low-G's on various ukes, and never had such an issue.

People also complain that wound low-G strings fray and snap on them often as well; this has never been an issue for me either (nor for classical guitarists in general).

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question.

I appreciate all of your advice.

After much searching the various online vendors, I decided to buy a bunch of different unwound low-G strings from Elderly, since they were the only one that seemed to have ALL of them in stock at the same time.

Sadly Amazon Prime, nor any of the usual mainstream music vendors (Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musicians friend) that offer free shipping, have much other than Aquila, GHS or D'Addario (which would have been fine for other string requirements) and if I order the ones in stock separately from Just Strings and Strings-by-Mail, I would be paying shipping twice, which in each case would have cost more than the strings themselves.

My local retail mom & pop music shop (ritchiesmusic.com) would have to order the Aquila strings and it's at least a 2-week lead time, which I'm not willing to wait. They don't normally stock much in terms of ukulele items, and I was their very first customer to buy one of their KALA ukes this past March.(my KA-T was my first uke)

If I could have found the ORCAS single low-G anywhere I would have bought one of them as well to try.

I just now ordered the following single strings, all unwound low-G for Concert uke, from Elderly:

Qty..Item#....Description...............................Price...Extension

2.....AR71......AQUILA 71U SINGLE STRING......$1.55....$3.10
1.....WSCLG...WORTH C-LG SINGLE STRING.....$4.00....$4.00
1.....STR-FG...FREMONT BLACKLINE FLRCBN.....$3.00....$3.00
1.....DAKGSS..DaKINE SINGLE LOW G STRING..$3.00....$3.00

SUBTOTAL.........$13.10
SALES TAX..........$0.00
SHIPPING............$5.85
------------------------------
ORDER TOTAL......$18.95

I got 2 of the Aquila Reds just in case I pop one due to faulty installation. The DaKINE string I never heard of before, but figured, why not try it too?

Also, I ordered the single strings as opposed to the full sets, for now, as a cost-saving measure, as 4 full sets like this, with shipping would have been close to $50 or so, and that's more than I want/can spend right now to figure this out.

Any suggestions as to which order I should test the strings?

Remember the goal is a HIGHER tension, unwound low-G on the Concert Lava Flea...

If there's enough interest, I could post a video with sound samples of whatever I end up using - let me know.

[ After I resolve this matter, the next issue is to figure out how to install a Mi-Si pickup in my Flea without destroying the bridge - but that might be a topic for another thread :) ]

Thanks,

Booli

Last edited:
[...snip...]

I just now ordered the following single strings, all unwound low-G for Concert uke, from Elderly:

Qty..Item#....Description...............................Price...Extension

2.....AR71......AQUILA 71U SINGLE STRING......$1.55....$3.10
1.....WSCLG...WORTH C-LG SINGLE STRING.....$4.00....$4.00
1.....STR-FG...FREMONT BLACKLINE FLRCBN.....$3.00....$3.00
1.....DAKGSS..DaKINE SINGLE LOW G STRING..$3.00....$3.00

SUBTOTAL.........$13.10
SALES TAX..........$0.00
SHIPPING............$5.85
------------------------------
ORDER TOTAL......$18.95

So I am quoting myself here and following up to my previous post...

Ok, so the strings finally arrived from Elderly today.

First thing I did was remove the PhD low-g from the concert Flea, and then I compared it to the thickness of the other strings, one at a time, under a 20x magnifying glass. I know this is not scientific, and I dont have any calipers yet, so this was the best I could do, a relative 'measure' by eye.

Oddly enough, the Worth and Dakine appear to be the same thickness as the PhD, and even though the PhD is supposed to be PVDF, it looks the same as the fluorocarbon strings.

The Fremont seems a hair smaller, like maybe 3% thinner, and the Aquila Red seems about 10% thinner.

Let me remind you that I am using D-tuning here. After living exclusively with D-tuning for about 4 months on all my ukes, I tried tuning down to C-tuning yesterday in order to follow along and try and figure out Brittni Paiva's 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' from her youtube video, but the strings were all too floppy for my liking...and the soundboard of the Flea did not resonate and project as much as with the D-tuning...

So, I installed the Fremont low-g and played it for a few minutes, tuning and retuning as you'd expect and it's about the same tension as the PhD, and kinda floppy and dead sounding compared the the Aquila Nylguts. The full set of Freemont Blacklines may sound more balanced. But that will be an experiment for another time. So I removed the Freemont Blacklines low-g.

Next I installed the Aquila Red low-g, almost exactly like the video that Mimmo (from Aquila) has online (on their web site as well as their youtube channel), however since it seems that the issue is from stress at the nut slot causing it to break, I put a plastic pen UNDER the string, perpendicular to the fretboard, on top of the other strings, just ahead of the nut on the bridge-side of the nut.

The intent here was to provide a smooth, low-friction ROUND surface for the string to pass over while stretching and tuning it.

Stretching the string all along it's length, retuning, stretching again, repeating about 10 times. Then I carefully removed the pen, and seated the string on top of the nut like in the video, tuning and stretching a few more times.

Wow!

The Aquila Red low-g has almost the same tension as the 3 Aquila Nylgut strings. It's plenty loud and nicely balanced with the other strings.

Oddly enough I notice that when I pluck the g string, that it causes the soundbox of my Kala KA-T tenor to resonate and almost echo the tone, with the strings on the Kala vibrating, and the Kala is hanging like 5 feet away! Talk about projection!

Sympathetic vibrations - the Kala must have affection for the little Flea!

Also, after playing the Flea with the Aquila Red low-g for like 10 mins and the string actually surprisingly holding its tune, I removed from the nut slot, stretched and tuned again, and played again for like 5 mins, and it's holding it's tuning. Then like 30 mins later, I picked it up and lo and behold, still in TUNE!!! This is great.

It seems that the Aquila Reds might settle in quite a bit faster than the Nylguts.

I might try the Worth, Dakine and Freemont on the Epiphone Les Paul for the low-g, which right now has a wound 'D-string' from a D'Addario EJ27H classical guitar set since I did not have another low-g and the PhD low-g that was on their previously was getting pretty floppy.

Maybe the PhD low-g strings eventually lose the tension much sooner and need to be replaced more often, because when I installed it, I remember being quite impressed with the sound and feel, and now it seems like it's just too floppy and dull sounding. Either that or my ear is getting more sensitive. Not sure yet.

I like the texture on the Aquila Red string.

After letting it all settle in and playing with the Aquila Red low-g, I'll post another follow-up in a few days, and possible a before-and-after sound comparison...

-Booli

It seems that the Aquila Reds might settle in quite a bit faster than the Nylguts.

I like the texture on the Aquila Red string.

After letting it all settle in and playing with the Aquila Red low-g, I'll post another follow-up in a few days, and possible a before-and-after sound comparison...

-Booli

BUMP!

how are the reds holding up?

BUMP!

how are the reds holding up?

I've actually taken the single Aquila RED low-g off the concert Flea that I had installed, and replaced ALL of the strings with the Worth Browns mediums, and this is ALMOST right. The Aquila RED low-g is just hair floppy for my taste, and oddly enough it started to develop a fret buzz at the 3rd fret, which never happened before in the other string sets I tried.

I had ordered a set each of the Strong and Extra tension low-g Worth Browns from HMS like 10 days ago and am waiting for them to arrive any day now. I am going to try just the low-g from each set on the concert Flea and see if they have higher tension, and if so, I might just go with that from now on. I really like the sound of the Worth Browns, crisp, clear and very well defined, much better than the Aquila Nylguts I had on before.

It seems a real serious problem to get an unwound low-g on a concert scale uke that has enough tension to not be floppy.

I may have to reconsider my focus, and go more into the tenor scale, as this problem does not occur on my Kala tenor with any unwound low-g as of yet.

-Booli

Hi Booli,
Senior Member Steve recommended I message you. I live in Australia and was interested to hear about the OASIS strings for a Martin. I have a Martin CK1 and I am looking for a low G string for it. I had one of those red ones (WORTH? but it only lasted 6 months) I am very keen on finding a good string for it, as I like to play jazzy music. 1. Would you be able to recommend a good non-wound (I assume this is what it should be? or not?) low G string for my C1K? 3. What about OASIS strings? How would they be on my C1K? Or PhDs from UU? Although its sound, with the Martin strings, is wonderful as it is with its Martin strings, I wonder about that potential 'IMO'? 4. I am worried that a wound string may not fit in the thin slot provided on the C1K bridge for the low G.
BTW I love UU, you guys are great, and very generous with your help! Thank you.

Top Bottom