how do you justify???

Looks to me like the issue here is that you don't own a baritone. Get yourself a bari from Jerry Hoffman and you'll find your UAS will be cured. In fact, the others will be so ignored that you won't miss them when you sell. Well, maybe keep the Boat Paddle Kayak. Enjoy!

Got on this AM to see if anyone responded to my question! THat's what makes this forum so great, individuals. I guess in my eyes I am the type that needs to play a uke to really justify keeping it. I enjoyed reading everyones thought patterns on this subject. Personally, (keyword, PERSONALLY) I am going to try to whittle done to one "good" uke in each size. I could live with that. Thanks for all the comments!

I can't imagine why anyone would waste their money on frivolities like food and clothing when there are so many ukes out there looking for a good home.:D
and alcohol, drugs, or other consumables, a uke can last a lifetime. I just got a Martin tenor that's almost as old as I am, and when I/m gone it will go to my daughter or grandkids.

Since starting to play the ukulele about 6 months ago, I've UASed seven (one is on the way). The interesting thing is, I have four guitars that I've barely used in recent years, those are what I'm considering selling, maybe. I've applied myself to the ukulele more in the last 6 months than I have with my guitars in 20 years.

You are not alone - it seems pretty common around here. I played guitar for over twenty years before picking up the uke and I never became more than a pretty mediocre guitarist. After three years with the uke I'm only mediocre - but I'm a higher grade of mediocre on the ukulele than I am on the guitar and doubtless a large part of that is because I almost never go a day without playing for a little while on the ukulele.

John

Last edited:
I have been wondering how to justify all the ukes I own. I have 4 sopranos, one concert, 2 tenors. I know to some of you that was last months purchase :) but to me I seem overwhelmed. I can only play one uke at a time and every time I switch there is a adjustment period. Here is what I intend to do: whittle down to 2 sopranos (the first I ever bought and my custom sailor soprano). As for the concert, I can never get rid of the sceptre I bought from dkcrowne, it is fantastic. Now for the tenors, I will always keep the BP kayak but will unload the koa fluke to help finance another Boat Paddle and that should do it. Now in case I change my mind how do you justify the ukes you own..... this is just in case of course :)

the way i justify mine is each one is a different size and serves a different purpose.
Depending on if im plugged in i have 2 for that for 2 different sounds.
If i'm at home i usually have a little beater i keep out i can just grab
and play with out worrying about if it falls over or gets broken.

I'm usually playing a baritone (usually electric) but i have a cheap baritone now
just to practice (i still think it has a good sound). I think as long as you use
each one to the advantage of their size or style there is a reason for it.

Beautiful collection, and certainly good and interesting facts about each one. Love the hangers too...

Love the cases too. Are they crossrock cases or Chinese import cases? I have a Chinese made fiberglass and am still not sure about it. The chemical smell is still very strong and the build is ok. I'm curious about the crossrock cases.

Sorry to hijack the thread - but to answer your question about the cases, they are the Kamoa brand fiberglass cases. They are very light and I like the backpack straps but I wish they had a storage compartment like the Crossrock. I keep contemplating a white Crossrock one but (in the spirit of the thread) cannot justify it since I only carry one uke at a time. The hangers are by UU member Toucanmango on his eBay or etsy site.

Well, isn't this an interesting topic. Let's do the math...

Assuming there is an optimal number of Ukes owned by any given individual, I suggest the following equation:

If U = optimal number of Ukes in collection

And C = equals number of actual Ukes in collection

And C = U-1

Then U = C+1

Thus we are, each of us, in a perpetual state of needing one more Uke to reach the optimal number for our collection.

There we have it, the math does'nt lie and you obviously need another Uke. Justification complete, no go surf ebay and Craigslist.

Scooter

Looks to me like the issue here is that you don't own a baritone. Get yourself a bari from Jerry Hoffman and you'll find your UAS will be cured. In fact, the others will be so ignored that you won't miss them when you sell. Well, maybe keep the Boat Paddle Kayak. Enjoy!

once you go bari you never go back. the baritone ukulele is the ultimate instrument for me. even if you find you like other sizes
better its still in my opinion essential.

You are not alone - it seems pretty common around here. I played guitar for over twenty years before picking up the uke and I never became more than a pretty mediocre guitarist. After three years with the uke I'm only mediocre - but I'm a higher grade of mediocre on the ukulele than I am on the guitar and doubtless a large part of that is because I almost never go a day without playing for a little while on the ukulele.

John

This is so true, and very similar to my own experience. I'll never be as good as Bucky Pizzarelli, Eddie Van Halen, Andy Summers or Ben Woods on guitar [nevermind Django or Les Paul] (I'm just not motivated to practice enough)...but there's an actual chance that I might be able to impress my friends and family with my music that I have written on ukulele, even if it is only due to it being so UNCOMMON to play one 'round these parts.

I play every day now, sometimes for more than an hour. If I dont play, it's like I dont eat.

I'm awestruck and inspired by players like Jake, James Hill, Kalei Gamiao, John King, Daniel Ho (and others). When I hear what they have done, it makes me want to play, and makes me want to write new music.

My songwriting stagnated on guitar for a few years (I do it for myself), but used the computer a lot, taking the music in my head and putting it together with no instrument in my hand, and over time that got old.

HOWEVER:

In 9 months I have purchased 6 ukuleles.

I have realized all of the benefits of stress reduction, and peaceful feelings that all of you have mentioned, but adding to that: I started writing music again, ON an instrument, and to me GOOD music (and not trippy I,iV, V electro-dunce ear-poison like I did with the computer).

Writing THIS music with the ukulele makes me happy. The sound of a minor chord ringing out, with both dulcet and bell-like tones at the same time, is almost it's own reward for me.

When friends and family ask me, with a smirk, talking out the side of their mouth, 'So HOW MANY ukuleles do you have now?' I used to tell them the truth, and they would react horrified, like completely incredulous as to why.

I would then INFORM them of the other dozen or so ukes that I'd like to add to my collection over time. Their reactions as expected are further HORROR.

I let them know about the songwriting (which they all know I have been doing my entire adult life), and ask if a carpenter has only a single hammer? DUH?

At that point I attempt to cure their ignorance, but sometimes folks just don't care to learn.

Then I ask them how many pairs of fancy shoes they have or fancy watches, their faces turn pale, they stammer, and then the conversation ends...

I'm not into sports, cars, or gambling like so many others I know. I gave up going out to bars and clubs a long time ago, and I'm better for it.

So why not do something CREATIVE instead of sitting brain-dead on the couch in front of the tv for 4 hrs every night? (No offense intended & more power to you if that's what makes YOU happy)

For me the ukulele is both a tool for songwriting, and also a form of therapy and meditation.

So now I refuse to answer these justification questions like before, and instead simply tell them that the collection is growing, and contains not nearly enough ukuleles (all the different shapes and sizes :)), and will likely not stop growing until they bury me.

I've said previously in another thread, a few weeks ago, that there's simply no way I would be able to afford to buy the variety and quality of instruments if these were guitars, as I have with the ukuleles.

I have spent maybe around $1,100 on ALL of them, including self-installed pickups, cases, strings books, etc.

I know folks that spend more than that on Superbowl tickets or even a PAIR OF SHOES!!!.

I don't do any of that, so they can try to fault me, and I am only too happy to vertically render a certain finger (even if only in my mind). HA HA.

In fact I just purchased and am eagerly waiting for the new James Hill 'Jazz Ukulele' CD & book to arrive in the mail. OMG - I spent $24 on ANOTHER ukulele item ($16+$8 shipping from Empire Music). Ridicule and horror? Here's that 'finger' - ha ha.

I don't have a wife (yet), but I can see where one might object if it cuts into paying for a certain level of 'lifestyle', yet I'd hope when I find a wife, and one who is a 'keeper', that she understands without conflict, that my 'lifestyle' includes some flavor of UAS at all times. Consider this my 'Superbowl/tailgating/poker-night'-fund.

Having said all that, the topic of justifying one's interests is deeply personal, and please consider that I judge no one else for their choices, and only wish that they do what makes them happy, as long as nobody gets hurt in the process.

May you have as many ukes as you want, and let nobody stop you if it makes you happy!

-Booli

Last edited:
I justify mine because i have 4 but i only paid for 2! The other 2 i won in competitions! For some reason the more ukes you have, the more you want!

Justify? Who needs to justify having nice ukuleles?

the way i justify mine is each one is a different size and serves a different purpose.
Depending on if im plugged in i have 2 for that for 2 different sounds.
If i'm at home i usually have a little beater i keep out i can just grab
and play with out worrying about if it falls over or gets broken.

.... I think as long as you use each one to the advantage of their size or style there is a reason for it.

:) Yes, this is part of what drives UAS for me, and what I tell myself for justification.

... I tell people that (i) ukuleles is my midlife crisis and they're a lot cheaper than Maseratis....

Ha ha. That's pretty funny. Mind if I steal that one from you?

-Booli

Then I ask them how many pairs of fancy shoes they have or fancy watches, their faces turn pale, they stammer, and then the conversation ends...

Heh, heh. Yep. Thinking also of the post about the mid-life crisis and the cost of ukes vs. Maseratis. Several years ago, before I started playing uke, a guy I worked with was ribbing me about the number of guitars I owned. He shut up pretty fast when I said something like, "well, it's taken me almost twenty years to accumulate my guitars...and in the 13 years I've known you you've gone through more wives and live-in girlfriends than I have guitars...and some of the wives you're still paying for even though they're long gone."

John

There is no reason !!! Just fun and Music !!! :)

Hey Man if you can count how many you have, it's NOT enough... :)

I hear that, but it would probably be a shame to have SO many ukes that you lose track and cannot remember them and list them all, or even play each of them at least 30 mins a week.

At the risk of getting off topic for a sec...

In the event of a fire, I would first grab a few of my ukes, then my iPad, then my backup hard drive from the computer. Oh, yea, then the cat, and the dog...ha ha.

I find it interesting that even though I've gone far and wide from the first uke I bought, the KALA KA-T tenor, and am playing the others for a while, when I come back and I play the Kala, I am still quite impressed with the sound and the feel. Maybe I just got a good one, but from what I've heard about the Lanikai LU21 series, the Kohala (made by Hohner) and Oscar Schmidt OU2 ukes in the same price range, it seems that somehow, Kala is able to deliver a consistently playable and great sounding uke, out-of-the-box, whereas the other brands seem to need lots of work, Mahalo being the most needy. Mike Upton (of Kala) is definitely on to something good.

-Booli

Last edited:
Playing music has been one of my life long hobbies. It has always been easy for me to justify a new instrument. I have gotten thousands of hours of joy from playing music and I consider the investment minimal for the joy it brings me.

My wife and I make a budget each month. I have a portion of the budget that I can spend on my hobbies. As long as I stay with in budget life is good.

In my case, I will never be wealthy even if I don't enjoy my ukuleles. So, enjoy them I will.

Top Bottom