Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Is my ukulele waterproof?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bandung - Indonesia
    Posts
    7

    Default Is my ukulele waterproof?

    Hi, I have this custom built all solid mahogany ukulele from a local luthier in my town. It is a beautiful ukulele, i got it a couple month ago. I want to ask something, since I love travelling so much, and of course i need too keep my ukulele with me everywhere i go. But the idea of having my ukulele safe inside a hardcase while i go hiking or biking to the beach is too much, so i made this DIY drawstring backpack for my ukulele. And of course the bag is not weather resistant.

    So i want to know if is it okay if my ukulele soaked in wet by the rain or exposed in a cold weather in the mountain?
    Well, I'm not talking about how will it look. Coz i could care less about the look, since there will always be a story behind those scratches and dents. But I'm asking about the durability judging by its material which is a mahogany wood, is it durable enough from those rainy or cold weather to maintain its sound quality?

    I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker
    Thank you.
    Last edited by jenderalcilik; 12-28-2013 at 10:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenderalcilik View Post
    Hi, I have this custom built all solid mahogany ukulele from a local luthier in my town. It is a beautiful ukulele, i got it a couple month ago. I want to ask something, since I love travelling so much, and of course i need too keep my ukulele with me everywhere i go. But the idea of having my ukulele safe inside a hardcase while i go hiking or biking to the beach is too much, so i made this DIY drawstring backpack for my ukulele. And of course the bag is not weather resistant.

    So i want to know if is it okay if my ukulele soaked in wet by the rain or exposed in a cold weather in the mountain?
    Well, I'm not talking about how will it look. Coz i could care less about the look, since there will always be a story behind those scratches and dents. But I'm asking about the durability judging by its material which is a mahogany wood, is it durable enough from those rainy or cold weather to maintain its sound quality?

    I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker
    Thank you.
    The answer is No, it is not OK to let the uke get wet in extreme temps. Its wood, not plastic. Wood will expand and shrink and if you treat it like a plastic uke, you would not have it long as it will crack, the metal parts will rust and the internal parts will come unglued. Get a cheap uke for your adventures.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunless Rustbelt Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    In a word, no. Don't do it. Get a waterproof case or another traveling uke.
    How do you play E flat major 7 with a double half-twist? Visit www.ukechordchart.com to find out. Or not.

    Kala KA-15S. Good starter.
    Kala KA-SSLNG Longneck Soprano. Solid spruce-top marvel for a buck and a half.
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG. Had the tenor version. Decided tenor's not for me. Got the concert. Sweet!
    Epiphone Les Paul. Major awesomeness through my little 15W amp.
    Mahalo Smiley Face. Cute little bugger and Jake signed it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bandung - Indonesia
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBearUkes View Post
    The answer is No, it is not OK to let the uke get wet in extreme temps. Its wood, not plastic. Wood will expand and shrink and if you treat it like a plastic uke, you would not have it long as it will crack, the metal parts will rust and the internal parts will come unglued. Get a cheap uke for your adventures.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukemunga View Post
    In a word, no. Don't do it. Get a waterproof case or another traveling uke.
    Thankyou for your kind replies. Well then probably I should get another uke which is more durable to be tortured in extreme weather.
    I'm thinking the "Outdoor Ukulele" as it made out of a composite polycarbonate. Any thought about this "Outdoor Ukulele"? I watched the reviews of it on YouTube, it sounds surprisingly good. But I probably have to pay more for the shipping cost.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenderalcilik View Post
    Thankyou for your kind replies. Well then probably I should get another uke which is more durable to be tortured in extreme weather.
    I'm thinking the "Outdoor Ukulele" as it made out of a composite polycarbonate. Any thought about this "Outdoor Ukulele"? I watched the reviews of it on YouTube, it sounds surprisingly good. But I probably have to pay more for the shipping cost.
    Outdoor uke reveiw
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...eally-is-Awful!

    Your probably better off buying 2 or 3 Makala's. Or spend some money and buy a Martin OXK.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default

    LOVE my 0XK, but I'm not about to test it's waterproofness. (Probably more so than my wife's cedar and maple Ohana though.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Jenderalcilik i believe you're from Indonesia ?
    Buat dmna bro uke nya ? Haha

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bandung - Indonesia
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Money McGee View Post
    Outdoor uke reveiw
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...eally-is-Awful!

    Your probably better off buying 2 or 3 Makala's. Or spend some money and buy a Martin OXK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Potter View Post
    LOVE my 0XK, but I'm not about to test it's waterproofness. (Probably more so than my wife's cedar and maple Ohana though.)
    yeah, Martin OXK sounds like a good idea, but i would probably put it safe in the vault instead of having it travelling with me

    Quote Originally Posted by frukmana View Post
    Jenderalcilik i believe you're from Indonesia ?
    Buat dmna bro uke nya ? Haha
    eh ada orang Indonesia juga
    ukulelenya bikin di Bandung, dibikinin sama Dodo d'Cinnamons bro.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Bush, Alaska...
    Posts
    16,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Money McGee View Post
    Outdoor uke reveiw
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...eally-is-Awful!

    Your probably better off buying 2 or 3 Makala's. Or spend some money and buy a Martin OXK.
    Is this going to be the review we share for everyone? In all seriousness I can't ignore this review but I can't give it any endorsement either.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Bush, Alaska...
    Posts
    16,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Money McGee View Post
    Outdoor uke reveiw
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...eally-is-Awful!

    Your probably better off buying 2 or 3 Makala's. Or spend some money and buy a Martin OXK.
    Here is my review (notice the title of the thread: Outdoor Uke Abuse)
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...-ukulele-abuse

    In all fairness to the ODU I think an actual review of the ukulele in a similar situation to what the OP intends to use it is warranted.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Top 50 Ukulele Sites