Is my ukulele waterproof?

jenderalcilik

Reaction score
Hi, I have this custom built all solid mahogany ukulele from a local luthier in my town. It is a beautiful ukulele, i got it a couple month ago. I want to ask something, since I love travelling so much, and of course i need too keep my ukulele with me everywhere i go. But the idea of having my ukulele safe inside a hardcase while i go hiking or biking to the beach is too much, so i made this DIY drawstring backpack for my ukulele. And of course the bag is not weather resistant.

So i want to know if is it okay if my ukulele soaked in wet by the rain or exposed in a cold weather in the mountain?
Well, I'm not talking about how will it look. Coz i could care less about the look, since there will always be a story behind those scratches and dents. But I'm asking about the durability judging by its material which is a mahogany wood, is it durable enough from those rainy or cold weather to maintain its sound quality?

I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker ;)
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, I have this custom built all solid mahogany ukulele from a local luthier in my town. It is a beautiful ukulele, i got it a couple month ago. I want to ask something, since I love travelling so much, and of course i need too keep my ukulele with me everywhere i go. But the idea of having my ukulele safe inside a hardcase while i go hiking or biking to the beach is too much, so i made this DIY drawstring backpack for my ukulele. And of course the bag is not weather resistant.

So i want to know if is it okay if my ukulele soaked in wet by the rain or exposed in a cold weather in the mountain?
Well, I'm not talking about how will it look. Coz i could care less about the look, since there will always be a story behind those scratches and dents. But I'm asking about the durability judging by its material which is a mahogany wood, is it durable enough from those rainy or cold weather to maintain its sound quality?

Thank you.

The answer is No, it is not OK to let the uke get wet in extreme temps. Its wood, not plastic. Wood will expand and shrink and if you treat it like a plastic uke, you would not have it long as it will crack, the metal parts will rust and the internal parts will come unglued. Get a cheap uke for your adventures.

In a word, no. Don't do it. Get a waterproof case or another traveling uke.

The answer is No, it is not OK to let the uke get wet in extreme temps. Its wood, not plastic. Wood will expand and shrink and if you treat it like a plastic uke, you would not have it long as it will crack, the metal parts will rust and the internal parts will come unglued. Get a cheap uke for your adventures.

In a word, no. Don't do it. Get a waterproof case or another traveling uke.

Thankyou for your kind replies. Well then probably I should get another uke which is more durable to be tortured in extreme weather.
I'm thinking the "Outdoor Ukulele" as it made out of a composite polycarbonate. Any thought about this "Outdoor Ukulele"? I watched the reviews of it on YouTube, it sounds surprisingly good. But I probably have to pay more for the shipping cost.

Thankyou for your kind replies. Well then probably I should get another uke which is more durable to be tortured in extreme weather.
I'm thinking the "Outdoor Ukulele" as it made out of a composite polycarbonate. Any thought about this "Outdoor Ukulele"? I watched the reviews of it on YouTube, it sounds surprisingly good. But I probably have to pay more for the shipping cost.

Outdoor uke reveiw
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91326-OMG-The-Outdoor-Ukulele-Really-is-Awful!

Your probably better off buying 2 or 3 Makala's. Or spend some money and buy a Martin OXK.

LOVE my 0XK, but I'm not about to test it's waterproofness. (Probably more so than my wife's cedar and maple Ohana though.)

Outdoor uke reveiw
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91326-OMG-The-Outdoor-Ukulele-Really-is-Awful!

Your probably better off buying 2 or 3 Makala's. Or spend some money and buy a Martin OXK.

LOVE my 0XK, but I'm not about to test it's waterproofness. (Probably more so than my wife's cedar and maple Ohana though.)

yeah, Martin OXK sounds like a good idea, but i would probably put it safe in the vault instead of having it travelling with me :p

Jenderalcilik i believe you're from Indonesia ?
Buat dmna bro uke nya ? Haha

eh ada orang Indonesia juga :D
ukulelenya bikin di Bandung, dibikinin sama Dodo d'Cinnamons bro.

Outdoor uke reveiw

Here is my review (notice the title of the thread: Outdoor Uke Abuse:))
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?81480-outdoor-ukulele-abuse

In all fairness to the ODU I think an actual review of the ukulele in a similar situation to what the OP intends to use it is warranted.

Thank you.

If you are willing to wait just a little bit I am conducting the ultimate outdoor uke test. I am going to test multiple ukes outdoors in Extreme alaskan weather http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91342-Asking-for-a-little-help

Is this going to be the review we share for everyone? In all seriousness I can't ignore this review but I can't give it any endorsement either.

Here is my review (notice the title of the thread: Outdoor Uke Abuse:))
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?81480-outdoor-ukulele-abuse

In all fairness to the ODU I think an actual review of the ukulele in a similar situation to what the OP intends to use it is warranted.

looking from your post here:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?81480-outdoor-ukulele-abuse&p=1285989#post1285989

yeah I need that kind of durable uke! just strapped on my backpack, hanging outside the tent without worrying that little beast cracking or goes out of tune.

If you are willing to wait just a little bit I am conducting the ultimate outdoor uke test. I am going to test multiple ukes outdoors in Extreme alaskan weather http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91342-Asking-for-a-little-help

I guess everyone was right, you're one of those mad scientist John! ;)

Speaking of which, ODU is one tough beautiful uke. I'm obsessed with the Clear color one. I'd go stuffing it with M&M's or put water and see if I can get a fish live inside it as I'm planning to go diving this February. :eek:

But considering its price, I couldn't agree more with everyone else. It's a bit pricey, there are a lot of other good uke with a better price.

So I'll hold my thoughts to pick one up and wait for your mad experiment and see if it can change my mind.

Thank you for your thorough opinion John :)

yeah, Martin OXK sounds like a good idea, but i would probably put it safe in the vault instead of having it travelling with me :p

Vault???
the martin oxk is made out of Formica. The kind your kitchen counter tops are probably made of. The neck is "stratabond", which is a laminate generally used for Hunting rifles and axe handles.

The OXK is probably the most durable, best sounding, most playable, travel ukes made.

Vault???
the martin oxk is made out of Formica. The kind your kitchen counter tops are probably made of. The neck is "stratabond", which is a laminate generally used for Hunting rifles and axe handles.

The OXK is probably the most durable, best sounding, most playable, travel ukes made.

i don't know about you, but for me a $300 uke will going to be my most expensive investment ever on a stringed instrument. So I'm going to need me those hardcases or gig bags to carry it anywhere.

Vault???

Yes, the Formica is durable, but the main problem I see when I get these in for repair is the top or back coming unglued from the sides. Then its time for the epoxy.

All these plastic ukes are basically nothing more than expensive toys IMO, and sound like toys.

Yes, the Formica is durable, but the main problem I see when I get these in for repair is the top or back coming unglued from the sides. Then its time for the epoxy.

All these plastic ukes are basically nothing more than expensive toys IMO, and sound like toys.

Never heard of an Martin OXK coming apart, and I certainly don't think they sound like a toy.

Never heard of an Martin OXK coming apart, and I certainly don't think they sound like a toy.

I never said the Martin OXK was a toy or sounded like one. Formica is nothing like the ODU plastic ukes. Unless you work as a repairman in the luhtiery field, you wouldn't have seen the OXK instruments in for repair. I see them now and then, and if they get dropped, they come apart or worse and that has been my experience.

In regard to the Outdoor Uke. The negative reviews are coming from a place unknown to reality. Fer christ's sake, it's a plastic, undamageable uke that you can put in your car, take to the beach, leave in the cold, hot, wet, and not worry a tad about it. It plays nice up the neck, at least the one I have, and it sounds like a cheap plastic uke, and it is, but it still sounds ok for those times when you can't use your '20s Martin 5K kids.

Now some say they sound toy-like, and they certainly don't sound like any of my wood ukes, but again, ferchristsake, it's NOT FOR PERFORMANCE, and not for practicing in your house. It's for taking to places you wouldn't take a decent instrument, when you want to use a uke. I'm in Haole John's camp on this one, it is what it is, and it's worth the bucks IF YOU HAVE A NEED FOR THIS. If not, you're simply going to bash it in review after review, not understanding a bit what it's for. Sad for you.

Comparing this 100 dollar uke to a decent wooden uke is bull crap. I like them for what they are, decent playable practice and campground performance ukes when you just can't chance bringing a good uke to the party.

As to your original question, that was answered in the second post. /rant off.

Top Bottom