best mohogany soprano

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
best mahogany soprano

I have been considering turning over some ukes in order to get a mahogany soprano. I am thinking timms if I can find one or a kiwaya kts-4. What are your thoughts? Should I consider a new or vintage Martin? I don't really like the idea of buying vintage from eBay. But I am interested to hear what people think.

Last edited:
Considering the models you list I never regretted buying any of my vintage Martins. I never used eBay to acquire any. The best deal I got was on Craigslist - a 1960 closeted, flawless style 0 for $500. Other sources are Bernunzio's, Mandolin Brothers, Flea Market Music and Elderly Music to name a few. In a heartbeat, I would buy a Timms over the new Martin S1.

If you want a great mahogany soprano, don't get one of the Mexican Martins. I've tried a lot of them, and i own one. They are pretty similar to production ukes from Ohana and other mass makers. You can get a decent one, but if you are looking for something more than a mass produced uke - don't go there. On the other hand, you might get something better if you get one of the American made ones, the S-2 or S-3.

You cannot go wrong with Kiwaya. Wonderful sopranos. I own one of the laminates. They hold their own with well-made customs. Fit and finish is superb, playability, tone, the shoe package. The main reason I don't own a solid wood Kiwaya or one of their higher end models is that the laminate one I own is so good. One of my favorite ukes.

Custom is another can of worms. I've never seen a Timms, but his reputation in these parts for good Martin copies is high. In my experience a custom can be extraordinary, especially when it comes from an experienced builder. It can be a great value if you get lucky. On the other hand, custom can also mean over-priced, mediocre or even wretched. You can see mistakes and misjudgments on a custom uke that will rival a dimestore toy, and you can get amazing sound too (sometimes both on the same instrument).

Then there is vintage. You will find passionate advocates of vintage, people who will tell you that nothing is equivalent to a vintage instrument. Over the years I have chased various vintage instruments because there is a certain emotional connection to the past that comes with them. But, my best experiences as a player come from modern instruments. They are more consistent and reliable.

Timms, for sure.

If you do a search there are a few reviews (including my own, in which I gush like one of my sophomore girls).

I own a Martin S-1, yes, the one made in Mexico. It is my most played uke in my collection. The uke plays and sounds like a mahogany Martin soprano should. Regardless what people say about the Mexican made Martin's, they retain Martin's quality and craftsmanship. It does not matter to me if the uke was made by American or Mexican hands. Before purchasing the S-1, I played a bunch of vintage Martins, American made Martins, and high dollar Hawaiian sopranos. I ended up buying the S-1. The S-1 costs less than a half of what an American made S soprano would cost. To my ears and hands that play the instrument, the S-1 was by far the better value.

More importantly, what is "best" is very subjective. Everyone has a different playing technique and hears sounds differently. My advice is to go out and play some sopranos, regardless of the make, and decide upon the one that plays and sounds the best to you. Best of luck in your pursuit for your soprano.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Sure enough, I put forward 4 options and get 4 replies, one for each option. I think I am going to try my hand at grabbing a Timms off of ebay. The reviews are all glowing and they look great and sound great in the pics and videos. More fun than factory Kiwaya and Martin builds and less question marks compared to vintage instruments. Wish me luck.

Thanks everyone. Sure enough, I put forward 4 options and get 4 replies, one for each option. I think I am going to try my hand at grabbing a Timms off of ebay. The reviews are all glowing and they look great and sound great in the pics and videos. More fun than factory Kiwaya and Martin builds and less question marks compared to vintage instruments. Wish me luck.

Good choice (says the man biased towards the Timms!).

And good luck with the eBay purchase. They go fast, but patience will win the day.

With due regard for all the Martin Bliss here, I'll chip in that the last new Martin uke I played sounded horrible. Sometimes things turn out that way. Always best to play before you buy.

I"m biased in favor of a vintage Martin. That being said, if I didn't have one, and wanted one very much like it, only new, I'd go for a Timms

Top Bottom