Winter festival in Brown County Indiana

There is also talk of a Uke Fest next winter at Starve Hollow State Park (close to Chicago) next winter.

I see a starve hollow in Indiana, although I don't know where it is. Starved Rock SP Illinois?

I'm playing around with the idea of a ukulele festival at the Brown County Inn in Nashville Indiana next winter (Jan?).

Any interest?

If the roads are passable I'm in Mike. This year in January has been a bear up here.

As always, my attendance depends on the kindness of others to drive me down there. This city boy is remaining car-less for the foreseeable. It sounds fun, though.

Starved Rock would be awesome. It's really pretty there.

Hmmm, how do you starve a rock? That's some tough times, there!

The "Starved Rock"

The region was periodically occupied by a variety of native tribes who were forced westward by the expansion of European settlements. These included the Potawatomi, Ottawa, and Ojibwe.[citation needed]
There are various local legends about how Starved Rock got its name. The most popular is a tale of revenge for the assassination of Ottawa leader Pontiac, who was killed in Cahokia on April 20, 1769, by an Illinois Confederation warrior. According to the legend, the Ottawa, along with their allies the Potawatomi, avenged Pontiac's death by attacking a band of Illini along the Illinois River. The Illini climbed to the butte to seek refuge, but their pursuers besieged the rock until the tribe starved to death, thereby giving the place the name "Starved Rock". The legend sometimes maintains that this resulted in the complete extermination of the Illini. There is no historical evidence that this siege ever happened. An early written report of the legend was related by Henry Schoolcraft in 1825.[8]
In 1919 Edgar Lee Masters, author of Spoon River Anthology, wrote a poem titled "Starved Rock" in which he voiced a dramatic elegy for the Illini tribe whose tragic death thus gave rise to the name of the dramatic butte overlooking the Illinois River. (Macmillan Company, N.Y., 1919.)

Thanks @Seeso! That must be a pretty common theme in native American folklore. I grew up in southwestern Colorado, just a stone's throw from the Ute reservation and Ute Mountain, which looks kind of like a sleeping giant. The legend about Ute Mountain was that a rival tribe chased a band of Ute women up the mountain and they all leapt to their deaths. The obsidian flakes found on the slopes were their tears. The mountain is supposed to wake up and take vengeance on the enemies of the Ute tribe one day.

John

I would be interested if it's at Starved Rock, in Illinois . They have a beautiful lodge there.

I'm in the middle of planning for the Chicago Winter Ukulele Fest. This will be Feb. 7-8, 2015. More details to follow.

yes i am interested, kindly share the events to us so that we can also get enjoyed as its first time listening about Winter Festival in Brown county.

We would be interested if the roads are not bad. We are not too far, at all.

Top Bottom