Kamaka Concert/ Gretsch Soprano Strings question

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Gretsch 9100 Soprano with Aquila NylaGut strings on it and I just bought a Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert uke with stock strings from the factory which I presume are Kamaka strings. I'm not thrilled with the strings on the Kamaka as they sound kind of weak to me. The Gretsch with the Aquila's has a nice warm tone and the Kamaka I think has a much brighter sound. I just think it could be crisper and even clearer. Also the Kamaka strings are hurting my fingers more.

Does anyone have any advice on good strings to really enhance the way a Kamaka Koa Concert should sound?

I'd also be open to suggestions for the Gretsch Soprano.

This is my first venture into really playing with the strings to improve sound. Please, all you players out there, let me know your thoughts...especially if you play a Kamaka!! I'm open to suggestions!

Sharon

I've owned several Kamakas and have hated the stock strings on all of them. On my Kamaka concert, my strings of choice are actually Martin M620 fluorocarbon tenor strings, but I prefer high tension (harder on the fingers though). If you want something gentler on the fingers try D'Addario Nyltechs, Martin M600 soprano/concert fluorocarbons, or Aquila Nylguts, all of which I've liked on my Kamaka concert.

MM Stan,

Aloha! Could you be more specific about which OASIS or MARTIN strings in particular you recommend? I've heard good things about OASIS Strings! Are they gentle on the fingers?

I like the Worth CM's on both HF1 & 2. Martin M600's are nice too, almost the same as the Worths. The Worths are slightly larger diameter on the A, E, & G strings. The M600 is slightly larger diameter on the C string. Sound wise I can't tell the difference. Just like the feel of the Worths a little better.

(in millimeters)
Worth CM A=.52, E=.66, C=.74, G=.57
Martin M600 A=.48, E=.65, C=.86, G=.55

Top Bottom