Banjo Guitar

That's awesome Daniel. I am sure your friend will appreciate it.

Also, thank you for all your videos of the instruments you build-- I enjoy seeing them and the work you do creating all of these instruments is inspiring.

-Booli

Hi Daniel,

No problem.

Man, I wish I had your skills and patience.

That cherry-red colored Fluke-shaped ukulele you made for your Mom for Christmas looks really awesome.

I wish I could build something as refined as that, but I have no way to set up any kind of workbench now, and sadly even attempting the Altoids tin build would probably be an exercise in frustration for me...

Have you ever tried to build a 'fretless ukulele'?

I have often thought about that since it would eliminate the need for making a fretboard, but I am not sure if it would lose almost all of the sustain...oh, but to dream :)

-Booli

You could make a fretless uke and play it with a slide. But, fretboards are actually pretty straightforward to make. Here's a tutorial that I made http://ukeland.co.uk/article/2285
Get a cheap Japanese flush cut saw (they have them at Harbor Freight), and a miter box and you pretty much have what you need. You can do it. :)

My brother Gary plays with two other guys who usually play guitar. Thinking that three guitars were a bit much, he bought a guitar-banjo, but, although it was a different timbre, it was in the same range as the guitars. He decided to string it Nashville style (using the higher octave strings from a 12-string set) and is very happy with the results. He wasn't too crazy about the tone of the lower octave on the banjo anyway and it sounds great with the two guitars.
gary's banjitar.jpg

Love how Keith Urban uses it in his newest hit, "Wasting Time"

Top Bottom