Super soprano

Littlegman

Reaction score
After playing with tenors and concerts, I have come to the conclusion that the soprano size is for me. Back in Hawaii in the 60's, playing the uke was part of the curriculum in public elementary school. We all played Kamaka sopranos! I still like the portability of the soprano, but the scale seems too limiting now. A concert scale with 14 frets to the neck seems perfect! So, I am trying to do some research on American-made super sopranos (other than a Kamaka). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I rep two different companies who call them a Long Neck Soprano. Leolani has very nice laminated woods of different species. Lehua is a solid wood LNS of Acacia blackwood. It was designed by Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars and Ukuleles in Hawaii. It is made in Portugal. The importer still has the same prices that he did in 2007. The recent shipment has a more natural finish, Aquila strings, and strung through the body. Both lines are well made.

Koaloha has two. They make their regular soprano with a long neck, and also make a Kong neck pineapple. Pohaku ukulele out of California makes a uke he calls the "Concert 10", about half way between the normal soprano and concert sizes.

I'm going to put in a plug for the Australian made, Cole Clark Ukelady which is a super soprano. They are sold in America so if you see one in your travels give it a play. Nice instruments.

Anthony

I have several SS's. Hard to pick a favorite but my Kelii mahogany from Mim is right up there and reasonably priced.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated! How about a custom super soprano (non-MM/3 K's)?

Like I said, I have several all really nice. I have a wonderful Boat Paddle M-style SS with spruce top and cocobalo back and sides that I love. It's a custom and you'll find lots of great reviews on BP ukes in general.

Top Bottom