New baritone tuning: gCeA

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so some help please -- if I get a set of the EJ46 strings, which do I use and where.

Thanks

A guitar set has 6 strings, from high to low.

For my special gCeA tuning, use these:

1. E string (high) / 2. B string: use one of these in the ukulele 2nd string position, and tune to E above middle C. You will need to experiment to see which works better. I would start with the E string, since the worst that can happen is it's too loose/floppy and you decide you need the thicker B string.
3. G string - use in the ukulele 1st string position, and tune to A below middle C
4. D string (wound) - use in the ukulele 4th string position, and tune to G below middle C
5. A string (wound) - use in the ukulele 3rd string position, and tune to C an octave below middle C
6. E string (wound, lowest) - do not use.

very nice idea!

Oh, you might want to try the Southcoast Plectrum set for this. It is meant to be CGBD on a 23" scale, but it works fine on my kala baritone.

You could switch the C and G positions, and switch the B and D. Tune the D up to E which should be easy on the bari scale, and turn the B down to A. I love how these strings sound of my baritone in the Plectrum tuning. Worth a try in its own right as an alternate tuning. basically a double slack key tuning if you will.

I restrung my wife's baritone with the gCeA tuning and it sounds wonderful. She prefers the regular baritone tuning though, so it's going back. I was wondering if this tuning would work on a tenor ukulele or would it loose the deep sound?

I'd say anything is worth a try, but the resonant frequency of a tenor body is way too high to support a strong low C. On my Lanikai ukes, the concert resonates around middle c, the tenor at g below middle c, and the baritone around d-flat/c-sharp below middle C. Ideally, the resonant frequency should be at or below the lowest note you play on the instrument.

Thanks for that. The deep sound and long sustain are what I like about it, so I'll get another baritone. Is there a way to measure the resonant frequency of the body without taking the strings off? I don't think the music store would appreciate me destringing all their baritones.

Yep, just hum into the soundhole and slide the pitch of your voice up and down. You will clearly hear "feedback" and resonance when you hit the resonant pitch. Then use your strings or a tuner to figure out what that pitch is.

...of course, that assumes you can sing the resonant pitch. Most men and women can sing g below middle c (approx resonant freq of a tenor) and middle c (concert) but most women can't sing a C/D below middle c (baritone). Same with guitars; a full-size dreadnought or jumbo guitar will have a resonant frequency too low for most men to sing, for instance.

I've been playing an octave-lower GCEA baritone ukulele (using classical guitar strings). It completely lacks that plinky ukulele sound, so some of the people in groups to which I've brought this uke look at me funny, but I really like the deep voice.

Ours is much lower than this and a much bigger body for that ultra rich deep sound. I love the sound too. Definitely deeper than a traditional Bari with GCEA. You use the Savarez super high tension yet?

This tuning intrigued me. Good idea. I just have not tried to replace the strings on a baritone ukulele. So far I've tried to do two arrangements. gCeA.jpgPlease Aarondminnick you can try and write something about them. Thank you Ondrej

Top Bottom