Strings for Tenor uke dGBE Hi D tuning NO wound string

cb56

Reaction score
Anybody know who makes these?

String sets like these are SOO rare that you take what you can get. Aquila makes a set in Nylguts. I'm not sure if the third is wound or not.

There is a VERY good reason for wound strings. As strings get thicker they get too stiff and don't vibrate as theory suggests they should and you have intonation problems. Wound strings in general intonate better than plain strings.

Or you could try Southcoast strings. He can probably create a set for you if he doesn't already have one.

Anthony

My husband and I tune our tenors dGBE. Lately, we've been sticking with Southcoasts.

We've also used Aquilas, Worths (a variety of colors and weights), Guadalupe Custom Fibre-Cores. All were fine, and preferences varied by personal taste, as usual.

I would think a low unwound G from a tenor GCEA linear set would work just fine on a tenor dGBE set.
Same string same uke just in a different spot on the bridge and nut.

My husband and I tune our tenors dGBE. Lately, we've been sticking with Southcoasts.

We've also used Aquilas, Worths (a variety of colors and weights), Guadalupe Custom Fibre-Cores. All were fine, and preferences varied by personal taste, as usual.

+1

I've just put SouthCoast Heavy on a tenor and tuned to dGBE - simply gorgeous.

+1

Glad to hear this. I have been wanting to try this on one of my bigger body tenors. Looking at the Southcoast tension charts I didn't know if the string tension would be too low. Did you go with the wound 3rd?

Glad to hear this. I have been wanting to try this on one of my bigger body tenors. Looking at the Southcoast tension charts I didn't know if the string tension would be too low. Did you go with the wound 3rd?

I specifically bought the SouthCoast HU-NW to get all non-wound strings. After trying, and loving, a Living Water high-d set on my bari, I decided I wanted a tenor in that tuning too. I had ordered Aquila's tenor dgbe set, but didn't realize they had a wound third, so I ended up not wanting to use them.

Now admittedly the SC strings have been on the uke for less than 24 hours at this point, but so far I've found the tension to be just fine. In regards to the SC tension charts in general, I find that if their rating is on the "loose" side, it's probably not as bad as they say, but if the rating's on the "tight" side, then it's definitely tight.

+1

My husband put a fresh set of these (no-wounds) on his Applause tenor on Wednesday. I just played a couple of tunes on it. Strings already pretty settled and sounding great. :D

I specifically bought the SouthCoast HU-NW to get all non-wound strings. After trying, and loving, a Living Water high-d set on my bari, I decided I wanted a tenor in that tuning too. I had ordered Aquila's tenor dgbe set, but didn't realize they had a wound third, so I ended up not wanting to use them.

Now admittedly the SC strings have been on the uke for less than 24 hours at this point, but so far I've found the tension to be just fine. In regards to the SC tension charts in general, I find that if their rating is on the "loose" side, it's probably not as bad as they say, but if the rating's on the "tight" side, then it's definitely tight.

Thanks Jon. I think I am going to try the set with the wound third.

Top Bottom