Pete Seeger died on Monday--94 yo

jackwhale

Reaction score
Pete Seeger died yesterday at the age of 94. He certainly was a hero to me growing up. Although he is identified with the long neck 5-string banjo, I just read in the NYTimes that he started out playing the ukulele as a child. Both parents were active musicians and teachers.

One more famous ukulele player to add to our long and growing list.

I can't believe I didn't see this in the paper.

Yes- Pete was a great one- a pioneer of folk-

I recall him first from his appearance on The Smothers Brothers inthe late '60's- I was in junior high-
and the controversy about his song about "being waist deep in the muddy with the big fool leading us on"
when everyone would be bound to think it was about LBJ I think

anyway- had his banjo book later in college-

I've had this track on a CD for a number of years- I recall hearing it in grade school, and always loved this song.

Last edited:
My hero of heroes. Devastated and shocked. Every folk song I learned I learned from him. His records have filled me to overflowing ever since I was a youngster. I framed a letter I received from him a number of years ago. I treasure it. His Rainbow Quest series is worth looking up, as is the documentary "The Power Of Song",as are every single one of his freakin records. For anyone who wants to really read the good, bad and the ugly of his life, check out David Dunaway's wonderful biography, 'How Can I Keep from Singing?'. Goodnight Pete, there is a hole we cannot fill.

Growing up in the '60's. Pete was a big influence on my musical and political preferences. Folk music, Dylan, The Smothers Brothers, et.al., guided me through the Vietnam war and shaped me into the person I am today. Last year I saw Arlo Guthrie in concert and he mentioned it was one of the few times Pete wasn't with him on tour due to his failing health. Even so, as Arlo sang "This Land Is My Land", you could feel Pete's (and Woody's) presence in the hall. After the concert, I was able to meet Arlo outside and he signed my cigar box guitar while we talked about the people in our lives who had left us and what they meant. One of the best nights of my life.

100_0222.jpg

100_0224.jpg

100_0227.jpg

As much as I don't want to do it, this thread really needs to be moved into the General Discussion board. Please keep the tributes to Pete flowing. Mahalo Nui.

I sent him a letter about four years ago, on the occasion of his 90th, recalling the folk boom days and was very pleased to receive a fine reply.

I can't commend his dedication to free speech and civil liberty enough; he was a literal tower of democratic power. 'twould be good for us all to be vigilant about our legacy of liberty.

A man who influenced millions to take up folk music and a man who kept his youthful passion for a fairer society alive right to the end! R.I.P Pete Seeger.

Top Bottom