Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uke Scales - Three Notes Per String Method

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeo View Post
    Great stuff.
    Does everyone memorize these or is there some other "short cut" way that I'm not understanding? Sorry... newbie here to music theory
    Paul, don't worry about memorizing all the patterns right away. Just take one pattern and play it till you get use to it. Then learn a pattern which is next to the one you learned. Eventually you will get use to moving between the patterns by soloing, or playing melodies.

If you have a way of recording, I would record yourself playing some chords (in the key of the scales). Then play back the chords and play the scales over top of them.

Nice. I didn't use the three notes method. Looks easier than the way I did it though. I just learned the pentatonic boxes and later built the rest of the scale of out those boxes. What are Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scales, though?

Successful sellers: Nuprin (Mele Tenor Koa/Mahogany Electric on 11/2009)
    Successful buyers: Tomdini (Pono Tenor Mango Cutaway Electric on 10/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSecretBETA View Post
    Nice. I didn't use the three notes method. Looks easier than the way I did it though. I just learned the pentatonic boxes and later built the rest of the scale of out those boxes. What are Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scales, though?
    They are used mainly in Jazz music. But, you can use them with various chord progressions to get a European/Gypsy sound. It just depends what chords you play in the background.

There are some other scales besides these, but I haven't had the time to work on them. The ones I have at the start of the thread are going to be your bread-and-butter scales. There are odd ones like Whole-tone, Diminished, Chromatic, etc. Then there is Modes...and that's a whole other animal to tackle.

how do you read/play thhat??????
    Weshwee...LIKE NO OTHER

Quote Originally Posted by Weshwee View Post
    how do you read/play thhat??????
    See post #1 for the link to the tutorial . . .

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

AWSOME!!!

I just started learning the guitar (well its been almost a year). And I have been working on scales a bunch. Besides trying to learn all the scales I have been trying to learn 2nd's, 3rd's, 4th's, 5th's, etc, etc, up to 8th's.

I'm still in the whole "Oh My God there is too much to learn" mode. But once you do it over and over again you begin to see how it all relates and intertwines with itself.

Anyways. I was just thinking of asking about scales and here it is.

This place rocks

Quote Originally Posted by smoothice View Post
    AWSOME!!!

I just started learning the guitar (well its been almost a year). And I have been working on scales a bunch. Besides trying to learn all the scales I have been trying to learn 2nd's, 3rd's, 4th's, 5th's, etc, etc, up to 8th's.

I'm still in the whole "Oh My God there is too much to learn" mode. But once you do it over and over again you begin to see how it all relates and intertwines with itself.

Anyways. I was just thinking of asking about scales and here it is.

This place rocks
    Hi smoothice! Yes, just go to the first post. I've recorded a quick video on Youtube and the link is in the first post. You play scales on the ukulele just like you would on guitar. The patterns are just different.

I like your charts alot. Good work. My only input would be that when you start on a note that is not the root you are actually playing a mode. Like your 1st position scale start on G and continues to D. If you made it go to G you would have the G Mixolydian scale. I think when you explain the Major scale people don't realize all the modes are also there too! Like the 2nd position starting on A gives the A natural minor scale.
    The limitless possibilities of 4 strings

Once you learn all the notes in 1 major scale you've actually memorized 7 modes! So there is a cheat when you realize that the scales are related to each other(same notes).
    The C major scale also contains; D dorian, E phrygian, F lydian, G mixolydian, A aeolian(minor) and B locrian. You've got to learn the major scale the hard way (practice) but the others come easily!
    The limitless possibilities of 4 strings

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoUketarist View Post
    I like your charts alot. Good work. My only input would be that when you start on a note that is not the root you are actually playing a mode. Like your 1st position scale start on G and continues to D. If you made it go to G you would have the G Mixolydian scale. I think when you explain the Major scale people don't realize all the modes are also there too! Like the 2nd position starting on A gives the A natural minor scale.
    Hi, yes I know modes. I just never covered that part. Thanks for explaining it for peeps!

By playing certain chord progressions this aids in modal sound as well.
    Last edited by AcousticMonster; 06-07-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Information