Chunky Cheese (fun exercise for newbies)

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I really wanted to work on my chunking, so my teacher and I created a fun little song for practicing. You can really tell when you've do it correctly or not. It has been helpful to me, so I thought I'd share it for others to try.

You can devise your own strum pattern, but what I use is DUXUDUX (where X is a chunk). Each chord below is played one bar:

F7
E7
Am
Am
F7
E7
A
A7
Dmin
G
C
C7

Enjoy!

Eddie

Love to see a video of how it's supposed to sound ;-)
Bill

Same here. Plus how do you play Dmin?

You can either take your regular D and leave it in the dryer too long . .

Or play 2-2-1-0
:)

(based on the pattern, I believe it's supposed to be Dm or dm, depending on how you prefer to spell it)

Same here. Plus how do you play Dmin?

It's 2210. I use index finger on the first fret of E string, middle finger on second fret of G string and ring finger on second fret of C string.

Oh, geez, I'm not sure I'm ready to start posting video of my playing yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot later today if I'm feeling adventurous. I'm still new so it would unfortunately be a video of both "how to" and "how not to". :D

would love to see a video of this

would love to see a video of this

Okay, so I finally took a stab at this today. It's not meant to be a how-to since I'm a newbie and still learning myself, but it should give you an idea of the exercise. Of course, constructive feedback always welcome (other than, "you might want to try another instrument" ;-).

http://youtu.be/s1B9VkU0SSw

Thanks for posting!
I'm a newbie too and think this is a great exercise. Well done.

Thanks for posting that! It's a relaxing way to practice without going in completely blind. (Fellow noob, here)

Okay, so I finally took a stab at this today. It's not meant to be a how-to since I'm a newbie and still learning myself, but it should give you an idea of the exercise. Of course, constructive feedback always welcome (other than, "you might want to try another instrument" ;-).

http://youtu.be/s1B9VkU0SSw

Great job, nothing wrong with your playing. Thanks you for taking the time and bravery to post the video for this thread. I am new and always looking for good exercises and this seems like good one.

How long have you been playing and when did you start with a teacher. I am thinking of looking for a teacher.

Great job, nothing wrong with your playing. Thanks you for taking the time and bravery to post the video for this thread. I am new and always looking for good exercises and this seems like good one.

How long have you been playing and when did you start with a teacher. I am thinking of looking for a teacher.

Thank you. Everyone here is so encouraging. I started this past August ('13). With no musical background, I felt it important to get a teacher right away. More recently I am averaging about every other week due to travel. It doesn't come easy for me but I work pretty hard at it and find real joy in it. There are so many great resources available (UU lessons, Youtube videos, many other web sites with on-line lessons, books, etc.) that it's almost overwhelming. I'm now concentrating on Kev's Fingerstyle Ukulele, I particularly like that it comes with a CD so I know what each song is supposed to sound like. Very helpful to me because for some reason, they don't sound like that until I've worked on them for a very long time. ;-)

But if there is any advice I could give one-newbie to another, I'd say focus on one thing initially so that you can realize some progress, which will motivate you further.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Eddie. I also came from a non musical background with one disclaimer, I did venture into learning acoustic guitar a few years back with mixed results. That has helped alot with forming chords, though they are different and strumming in time with the beat.

I am loving it for the instrustments sound, ease of play and accessability. I keep it in the kitchen and pratice everyday. I have been very disciplined about practicing chords using Uncle Rods boot camp and strumming patterens with Ukulele Tricks Youtube videos.

Top Bottom