Australia the movie

salukulady

Reaction score
"Australia" with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman finally arrived at our local $3 theatre, so I went and saw it. In a campfire scene the cook is playing a uke like instrument. They only have a close up of it once and it was so quick I couldn't count the tuning pegs. The top of the headstock was the same shape as my 1925 gibson, so it might just be a uke. I was wondering if Australia had a similar instrument from that era. The movie is set in 1941. What is the instrument, and has anyone figured out the song he's playing? The song is used several time through out the movie and I'd love to learn it. When they rolled the credits there were too many songs used to figure out which one it was. I may have to wait until it's out on DVD. Any ideas from down under?

when i 1st seen the previews for this... i was honestly like

-_-

Hey, someone's gotta know the answer......?

Last edited:
Hey that's it. But in the movie the uke played the melody the guy is singing. How did you know it and how did you find it?
I either have an incredibly impressive knowledge of generally useless stuff or I'm a master of Google. It depends on the circumstances. :D

And I was actually wrong...The Postal Service did the original. (I've corrected my post.) Iron and Wine's cover also appeared in the movie "Garden State."

Last edited:
Hey hope I can clarify this for you all!

This is not an adaptation of "Such Great Heights". They have similar chord progressions, that's all.

The Ukulele song is listed in the credits of the film as "Boab Lullaby". Although it is not its own song on the soundtrack, it is at the beginning and end of "First Kiss", and then again just before the credits roll.

Wow, thread back from the dead. I totally forgot about this. Need to go buy the movie on DVD I guess.

If Australia the movie was a dog it would be put down. Terrible. Terrible. But if you like it that's cool. Just my two Australian cents. :)

If Australia the movie was a dog it would be put down. Terrible. Terrible. But if you like it that's cool. Just my two Australian cents. :)
I felt the same way about Beach Blanket Bingo, but we surfers are always portrayed incorrectly.

Top Bottom