Anything else sound like a Kamaka Pineapple?

marcocolo

Reaction score
Title says it all. I've fallen in love w/ the sound of the Kanaka but not the prices! Thanks.

You can get close with a KPK solid acacia soprano pineapple. They said late last year they were going to have a concert necked model this Spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQQ-a3k-WI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBEv97HfQM

If you don't require the deluxe model and just want the sound, $155, properly set up, with the rosewood saddle and nut. (I personally like the woody Kamaka-like ring it gives the instrument (can always change later): http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

Last edited:
I'm really interested in this question too.

I just recently got a Koaloha longnecked pineapple and absolutely love, love, love it!

My other wood uke is a Big Island Tenor, lovely spalted mango (see it in my avatar photo). But I am really thinking of letting the tenor go and replacing it with a soprano pineapple.

So, should I save, save, save and get a Kamaka or would I be happy as a clam if I just jumped right in and got a KPK acacia pineapple soprano? I fancy the abalone details....maybe old school, maybe the bling...does anyone know if that abalone is just plastic or is it really shell?

Noticed in a few different videos that the KPK headstock is different. Anyone know the current style?

Last edited:
As an owner of a Kamaka HP-1 pineapple, I'd have to say that not only do other pineapples not sound like a Kamaka, but no two Kamaka pineapples even sound like each other. I posted about my pineapple-picking adventure here a few years back - basically I couldn't decide between two different ones, so I just closed my eyes and picked the one that sounded best to me.

I've also played quite a few other pineapples - a couple of Koalohas, a couple vintage Kamakas, an Ohana concert pineapple, and a Kiwaya travel pineapple. Again, they all sound different, even those of the same maker. Of those, the Ohana was surprisingly impressive - very different from my Kamaka, but a really nice sound.

As an owner of a Kamaka HP-1 pineapple, I'd have to say that not only do other pineapples not sound like a Kamaka, but no two Kamaka pineapples even sound like each other. I posted about my pineapple-picking adventure here a few years back - basically I couldn't decide between two different ones, so I just closed my eyes and picked the one that sounded best to me.

I've also played quite a few other pineapples - a couple of Koalohas, a couple vintage Kamakas, an Ohana concert pineapple, and a Kiwaya travel pineapple. Again, they all sound different, even those of the same maker. Of those, the Ohana was surprisingly impressive - very different from my Kamaka, but a really nice sound.

Soooooooooo, Even Kamaka's don't sound like Kamaka's? There have been some Kamaka pineapple owners out there that have compared a KPK to their Kamaka's and the KPK's received very favorable reviews. I previously stated they sound "Kamaka like", meaning they have that bell like, woody bark very similar to the Kamaka's. It's is a viable, less expensive alternative for someone who can't afford a Kamaka, all for $155. If someone is looking for a similar sounding uke, which usually requires the same or closely related kind of wood (Koa/Acacia - same family), for less money, I generally try to guide him in that direction.

Last edited:
Soooooooooo, Even Kamaka's don't sound like Kamaka's?

LOL! I've played a few (mostly vintage) that were real duds. I'm just saying that if the OP heard a specific Kamaka pineapple and is using that as a basis for comparison, well - they just might not encounter another one that sounds the same.

The whole concept of buying an instrument by one maker, and expecting it to sound like *another* maker, just in order to save some cash is pretty... flawed to me. The only reason to buy an instrument in the first place is because one likes its sound and playability - but, just my opinion :)

My philosophy is when a beginner asks us for help finding the best instrument that is within his budget limitations, we should help him do that.

Last edited:
My philosophy is when a beginner asks us for help finding the best instrument that is within his budget limitations, we should help him do that.

Ah. That's way more about the OP than I knew - wasn't aware that he or she was asking for advice as a beginner with budget limitations. I was just offering my opinion regarding the question, "Anything else sound like a Kamaka Pineapple?" :)

All this is good info, really and thanks for all the input. I am a beginner but I could increase my "budget" if something really struck my fancy. I just wished I lived somewhere where I could hear, feel, touch these little beauties.

I wish you could too marco. Not sure where you live, but uke clubs and going to a big weekend uke festival such as those held in many major cities would give you a chance to play many, many ukes you may never see in stores.

Last edited:
I have a Mya-Moe concert pineapple (in mahogany), and it sounds pretty good! Not sure if it sounds like a Kamaka, and it wasn't exactly cheaper. Just thought I would chime in, but in retrospect I don't have any answers... I guess :>)

Top Bottom