Super nylgut ?

I've gone full circle and come back to Aquila for some of my ukuleles. was curious about these. they are about $4 more than the 'regular' nyglut. I ordered a set so I'll report when I get them and give my impression.

The description is pretty amazing.

...." The original Aquila Nylgut & New Nylgut ukulele strings set the standard for ukulele strings throughout the world. Now, introducing the Aquila SUPER NYLGUT strings, the ultimate improved version of their world famous Nylgut & New Nylgut. SUPER NYLGUT strings feature a natural pearl color and a very smooth surface to the touch that make it almost like wax. The main advantages of the SUPER NYLGUT strings is their ability to achieve the required pitch and stability IN A FEW SECONDS with an acoustic output even more focused and penetrating."

There's some additional discussion of these strings in this thread

Also, Mimmo from Aquila recently had this to say about them:
!) Supernylgut uke strings
pretty new: natural pearl coloured. the set up in tune very very fast ( this still is a nylgut & New Nylgut problem); ths surface of such Supernylgut strings is very smooth like you used some vax on them; they are strongest than before under tension. The old stock strings will be always available, of course

Last edited:
I have them on my Guitalele..

I quite like them. They're white like classic Aquila, but of a more bendy/elastic nature.
Similar to the Aquila red stretchy strings perhaps.

The description is pretty amazing.

...." The original Aquila Nylgut & New Nylgut ukulele strings set the standard for ukulele strings throughout the world. Now, introducing the Aquila SUPER NYLGUT strings, the ultimate improved version of their world famous Nylgut & New Nylgut. SUPER NYLGUT strings feature a natural pearl color and a very smooth surface to the touch that make it almost like wax. The main advantages of the SUPER NYLGUT strings is their ability to achieve the required pitch and stability IN A FEW SECONDS with an acoustic output even more focused and penetrating."

"Developed in cooperation with Aquila, D'Addario's Nyltech strings are an exclusive combination of materials designed to deliver an optimal combination of warm, yet punchy tone, comfortable playability, precise intonation and tuning stability not found in other ukulele strings...." And they are a creamy color. I wonder what the difference between these two strings might be? Maybe not very much at half the price for the D'Addario.

Won't ship to UK....Booooo
We'll have them in a few weeks!

I've not tried them but have spoken to a man who has (someone I'd trust in his opinions on ukes usually). He was very excited, thought they were warmer if anything. I hope to have a sample soon and give them a go myself, before my main stock arrives.

"Developed in cooperation with Aquila, D'Addario's Nyltech strings are an exclusive combination of materials designed to deliver an optimal combination of warm, yet punchy tone, comfortable playability, precise intonation and tuning stability not found in other ukulele strings...." And they are a creamy color. I wonder what the difference between these two strings might be? Maybe not very much at half the price for the D'Addario.

I'm thinking of getting the D's and comparing them, I'll bet they are the same.. I noticed that the Ko'olau Alohi and the D'addario t2's were the same purple hue and found out they are the same strings, maybe slightly different diameter.

I'm thinking of getting the D's and comparing them, I'll bet they are the same.. I noticed that the Ko'olau Alohi and the D'addario t2's were the same purple hue and found out they are the same strings, maybe slightly different diameter.

That would be an interesting comparison due to the similarity of description and, I suspect, appearance between the Aquila Super Nylgut and the D'Addario Nyltech. In my experience the D'Addario Nyltech are more gut like in sound - warm and earthy - than any of the other Aquila strings I've used.

I put some of these supers on an inexpensive Makala tenor. I got a good price on them from Uke Republic and they came quickly, my first experience with U.R..

The strings took a couple of days to settle, not minutes, but not weeks. They aren't as bright as the Hilos the uke came with. They're soft and gentle but the sound is softer than the Hilos. I might have been better off with some South Coast strings. I'm leaving them on for the time being because this is not my primary uke by any means, just one I use to practice on when I'm traveling.

Strumsilly, If you do compare the Nyltechs to the Super Nylguts, I'd be interested in what you find, and to hear recordings if at all possible :)
I'm considering alternatives to the Nylguts, because they can be a bit much for just practicing at home. Something mellower, with less attack, would be handy.
I was considering Bionylons and then Super Nylguts, and this thread made me also consider D'Addario Nyltechs, since they'd be cheaper than Supers.

I stopped using Aquila when they started using the new nylgut formulation. I have a Kala laminate tenor that was sounding brittle with fluorocarbons so I thought I'd restring with the Super Nylgut.

I'm very happy with the sound and feel of the strings. Haven't had time to put down a sound sample yet, but they're better than my memory of the old Aquila sound.
The strings are very slick, they feel nice when picking.

The claims of quick settling in, though, are overstated. Took about an hour for the strings to reach a semi-settled state. Still having to adjust slightly every few hours when I go back to check again. The C string seems the stretchiest. Bottom line, they settle in faster than other strings, but not 'in a few seconds' as promised on the sleeve.

Strumsilly, If you do compare the Nyltechs to the Super Nylguts, I'd be interested in what you find, and to hear recordings if at all possible :)
I'm considering alternatives to the Nylguts, because they can be a bit much for just practicing at home. Something mellower, with less attack, would be handy.
I was considering Bionylons and then Super Nylguts, and this thread made me also consider D'Addario Nyltechs, since they'd be cheaper than Supers.
UPDATE, they both arrived yesterday. they are definitely different strings, and according to the packaging are made on different continents. the super nygluts are a smooth pearl,and the low g set comes with a red low G[fingers crossed]. the nyltech ej88t set is high g, and the strings have a more yellow tint, but seem very similar to both the new nyglut and the nyltech. I don't have anything needing new strings at the moment, so I can't do a sound test yet.
I do like the sexy Aquila package though, except the color code, what is wrong with 1,2,3,4? too simple I guess.

KoaDependent:
I wonder what you disliked about the recent Nylguts? How are the Super Nylguts better to you?

StrumSilly:
Good to know they're different. I look forward to hearing your impressions/results, but I'm not in any hurry. I can't afford to buy new strings until these Nylguts wear out, and that'll take a while since they're the new set that came with my first Uke.

Last edited:
I've just taken delivery of some of these.

I find the feel very nice, smooth to the touch and with no texture - easily slipping off the fingers. The tone is a little softer, and a little fuller - more 'classical' if that means anything! I'll be doing a video comparison over the weekend.

As a board newbie, can I ask once I've done that video - will it be appropriate to post it in the main uke talk section? My business sells ukes in the UK, and the video will have our branding on etc. I don't wish to post it for promotional purposes - but to give people the chance to listen to the comparison. But I don't want to fall foul of the rules!

I put the super nygluts [lowg] on a Martin tenor. they are holding a tune much better than new nygluts, I was actually able to play the same day, though with frequent retuning. So, far , I like them. yes, they have a 'softer' tone, and the red is much less booming than some other options for low g. Have a new uke coming next week, maybe I'll put the nyltechs on it, then I can provide a comparison , of sorts, AS THEY ARE DIFFERENT UKE BRANDS. AND SPRUCE TOP VS SOLID MAHOG.

Top Bottom