Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Ukes

Smile Electric Ukes

Hello All (),

I need some help making a decision. I am playing in a Mardi Gras parade and if you've ever been to one, you will understand the necessity for an electric uke. I am deciding between a RISA and an Eleuke (both concert). I looked at a Konablaster, but have only found sopranos. Though I've narrowed in on the two above selections, I am open to suggestions.

Couple questions:

1) I've read elsewhere that the RISA has a low G tuning which isn't classic uke sound. If I'm not mistaken, the Eleuke has a high G. With all of my practice thus far on a Kamaka, does anyone know which I'll prefer???

2) Amp: I'm looking at a Honeytone N-10 (mainly because it's battery operated). Any other suggestions???

Sample music being played: Chinatown, St. James Infirmary, our version of the Mardi Gras Mambo, and I'll Take What I Can Get. (Thought this might affect the decision between RISA and Eleuke.)

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!

Allison

What's your budget?
    “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Berthold Auerbach

Kanile`a Custom T Walnut Tenor "Luana"
    DeVine Maple Concert "Momi"
    Flea Custom Sinker Redwood Concert "Nahele"
    Kanile`a Custom Koa Concert "Joy" (just visiting)

Quote Originally Posted by FANaddic(t) View Post
    Hello All (),

Couple questions:

1) I've read elsewhere that the RISA has a low G tuning which isn't classic uke sound. If I'm not mistaken, the Eleuke has a high G. With all of my practice thus far on a Kamaka, does anyone know which I'll prefer???

You can string either of them low or high g.

Which Risa electric are you looking at? They have at least three, I believe.

I have an eleuke...they rock! Great action, nice sound. BTW you might want to look at a Roland though. Honeytones are fun to mess around with, but not too loud.

Default Re:

Budget: up to 500 for the electric uke. Would consider spending a couple hundred more, as this band is going to keep playing, eventually performing...if we survive Mardi Gras!

RISA: looking at the instrument formerly known as the uke stick. My main reason for checking this one out is the light weight. But again, I'm up for suggestions.

I couldn't find a 'Roland' online...not familiar with this brand. Do you have any other suggestions for a battery operated amp???

Thank Y'all So Much!

Allison

Quote Originally Posted by FANaddic(t) View Post
    Budget: up to 500 for the electric uke. Would consider spending a couple hundred more, as this band is going to keep playing, eventually performing...if we survive Mardi Gras!

RISA: looking at the instrument formerly known as the uke stick. My main reason for checking this one out is the light weight. But again, I'm up for suggestions.

I couldn't find a 'Roland' online...not familiar with this brand. Do you have any other suggestions for a battery operated amp???

Thank Y'all So Much!

Allison
    Roland Microcube

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDom View Post
    Um...can I say AWESOME! Thank You. WaYYYY Better.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Get a Vox DA5, Allison. Not only does it have twice the power and a larger speaker than the Roland Microcube, it also has a separate microphone input on the back and a separate microphone volume control. You can plug three things into it at once. A ukulele or guitar into the instrument, a microphone into the microphone input and an MPR or CD player into the Aux input. I own over 5 dozen guitar, bass and keyboard amps for different applications. See my review of battery powered amps here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...hlight=battery

I also have a Carvin battery powered P.A. system that will run at 100 watts for 6 hours on a single charge. Ric

As for the Electric Ukulele, you can restring them with either high or low G. If your kamaka is straight from the factory, it probably has a high G, so you'd probably be more used to that. I personally like the shape of the Bugsgear uke better than the Risa. But have you looked into acoustic/electric ukes? I can reccomend the Applause UAE-148, which is their tenor with active pickup, which is in your budget, and is a pretty good uke, IMO.

Definitely would reccomend the Vox DA5 or Roland Microcube for battery powered amplication. Although I don't have much time on either (still looking to pick one up on Craigslist on the cheap) my experiences with them, expecially with the Vox unit have been very good.

Thread Information