Electric Ukes

FANaddic(t)

Reaction score
Hello All :)anyone:),

I need some help making a decision. I am playing in a Mardi Gras parade and if you've ever been to one, you will understand the necessity for an electric uke. I am deciding between a RISA and an Eleuke (both concert). I looked at a Konablaster, but have only found sopranos. Though I've narrowed in on the two above selections, I am open to suggestions. :)

Couple questions:

1) I've read elsewhere that the RISA has a low G tuning which isn't classic uke sound. If I'm not mistaken, the Eleuke has a high G. With all of my practice thus far on a Kamaka, does anyone know which I'll prefer???

2) Amp: I'm looking at a Honeytone N-10 (mainly because it's battery operated). Any other suggestions???

Sample music being played: Chinatown, St. James Infirmary, our version of the Mardi Gras Mambo, and I'll Take What I Can Get. (Thought this might affect the decision between RISA and Eleuke.)

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!

Allison

What's your budget?

Hello All :)anyone:),

Couple questions:

1) I've read elsewhere that the RISA has a low G tuning which isn't classic uke sound. If I'm not mistaken, the Eleuke has a high G. With all of my practice thus far on a Kamaka, does anyone know which I'll prefer???

You can string either of them low or high g.

I have an eleuke...they rock! Great action, nice sound. BTW you might want to look at a Roland though. Honeytones are fun to mess around with, but not too loud.

Re:

Budget: up to 500 for the electric uke. Would consider spending a couple hundred more, as this band is going to keep playing, eventually performing...if we survive Mardi Gras!

RISA: looking at the instrument formerly known as the uke stick. :p My main reason for checking this one out is the light weight. But again, I'm up for suggestions.

I couldn't find a 'Roland' online...not familiar with this brand. Do you have any other suggestions for a battery operated amp???

Thank Y'all So Much!

Allison

Budget: up to 500 for the electric uke. Would consider spending a couple hundred more, as this band is going to keep playing, eventually performing...if we survive Mardi Gras!

RISA: looking at the instrument formerly known as the uke stick. :p My main reason for checking this one out is the light weight. But again, I'm up for suggestions.

I couldn't find a 'Roland' online...not familiar with this brand. Do you have any other suggestions for a battery operated amp???

Thank Y'all So Much!

Allison

Roland Microcube

Get a Vox DA5, Allison. Not only does it have twice the power and a larger speaker than the Roland Microcube, it also has a separate microphone input on the back and a separate microphone volume control. You can plug three things into it at once. A ukulele or guitar into the instrument, a microphone into the microphone input and an MPR or CD player into the Aux input. I own over 5 dozen guitar, bass and keyboard amps for different applications. See my review of battery powered amps here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5333&highlight=battery

I also have a Carvin battery powered P.A. system that will run at 100 watts for 6 hours on a single charge. Ric

As for the Electric Ukulele, you can restring them with either high or low G. If your kamaka is straight from the factory, it probably has a high G, so you'd probably be more used to that. I personally like the shape of the Bugsgear uke better than the Risa. But have you looked into acoustic/electric ukes? I can reccomend the Applause UAE-148, which is their tenor with active pickup, which is in your budget, and is a pretty good uke, IMO.

Definitely would reccomend the Vox DA5 or Roland Microcube for battery powered amplication. Although I don't have much time on either (still looking to pick one up on Craigslist on the cheap) my experiences with them, expecially with the Vox unit have been very good.

2) Amp: I'm looking at a Honeytone N-10 (mainly because it's battery operated
Allison

I own two of these, Allison. They eat batteries quickly. A 9 volt battery is done in about 10 to 15 minutes. A 9 volt NiMH rechargeable battery will run for about an hour before it's done. I still recommend the Vox DA5. It will run at full power on alkaline C cell batteries for over 10 hours. Ric

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5333&highlight=battery

if you are willing to spend that kind of money i would look to the koolau solid bodies if thats the type of uke you are looking for and want to run special effects that a regular ac/el would feedback doing

I woke up this morning to find some great suggestions.

Ric, that review was extremely helpful! I was really worried about battery life and now, well, I'm not. :)

I will let y'all know what I end up buying. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Vox for an amp, after all the recommendations. As for the uke, I've got my sights set on the Koolau...never even knew such a beauty existed! Thanks MGM.

Thank Y'all for the input!!!

Another note on the Vox DA5 (as wit the Roland Microcube's and Roland Microcube RX's), Allison, is that they have strap buttons mounted to them and can be carried with a guitar strap. In fact, they come with a small guitar strap as a handle. The Vox DA5 only weighs 8 pounds, so it's lighter than some electric guitars in weight. This makes it ideal for carrying in your lugage for international flights, where weight is of a concern. Ric

Here's Jason Arimoto (facemeltinguke) at the Southern California Ukulele festival. Notice the Vox DA5 behind him hanging by bungie chords. It's easy to get the sound up high to project above the crowds:

DSC05582H.jpg

Here's one of my Vox DA5's that I carried with me on a recent trip to the Philippines:

Ukulele530.jpg

Thanks, Ric.

Also, does anyone have any experience with a Pete Howlett uklectic (concert)?

Allison

Look at the ko'olau ce-1 MGM has a few on the bay for sale. Pete has done a few electrics as well and they are worlds better then the two mentioned.

So just to finish up...I completely did a 180 when I saw a Pohaku uke. It was truly love at first sight. Though I wanted an electric uke, this particular beauty tugged at my heart strings. Peter Hurney made it into an acoustic/electric for me. She will arrive in the mail around Thursday. With this new addition, I think my UAS will be satisfied for a WHILE. As for an amp, I'm going with the Vox.

Thanks for all the recommendations and help. I appreciate it. :)

Top Bottom