is chipping pain on a Dolphin anything more than a cosmetic issue?

nyal

Reaction score
I was just about ready to get a Dolphin (Shark, actually) but have been reading about how the pain chips easily. Is this a concern in terms of tone? or merely a cosmetic thing? Is it any worse or better than a ding in a wooden ukulele would be? Do other plastic bodied ukuleles have the same problem?
Amazing how hard it is to choose. Thought I was finally there, but around and around we go....

ETA: I meant chipping PAINT....

pain is just the french word for bread.

regarding the ukulele: chipped paint is merely a cosmetical issue, will not change the tone. you could just call the chipped uke "roadworn" and love it even more. :)

I've had my Dolphin for three years of happy playing, and there's not a scratch on it (no matter how much pain I've caused it).

no, and you may be able to get some automotive touch up paint in a close match if it does chip. . I have had several Dolphins, and the paint never chipped on any of mine.

great, sounds like nothing i need to worry about.
thanks for the replies!

Not quite so fast.....Is the plastic UltraViolet (UV) resistant, or affected by being directly exposed to it? If it is not UV resistant----example: nylon thread sun rots ----polyester thread does not. Certain plastics degrade and some do not.
If you want biodegradeable, degradation is great. If you want a keeper, that's not good. I would suggest you ask the manufacturer if paint is a protective coating or a pretty colouring.

Top Bottom