Camp Uke, Uke Jr., Gretsch or ??? Please help!

Xtradust

Reaction score
Please help me identify this Uke. I know it's old, but that's about it. Thanks!

ufo (2).jpg
ufo (3).jpg

Hi Xtradust. Welcome to the forums.
That looks very similar to a Lyon & Healy Camp Uke. I've never seen one with a round sound hole, though. A few questions; is the diameter about 7" ? I can't see the head stock. Does the back of the head stock above the tuners have "PAT. APLD FOR" stamped in it ? The Camp Ukes have a distinctive bridge shape. Does the area where your bridge used to be have the shape of the one in this link to Antebellum Instruments ?
http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2012/10/c1928-lyon-healy-camp-uke-ukulele.html

It may be a Camp Uke, or one made by L & H for someone else. If you find out for sure, let us know.

Bill

Hey thanks guys! I picked this one up second hand and I'm still waiting to get it in the mail. I thought I'd take a break from pacing back and forth by the mailbox and see if anyone had any ideas. I'll def post pics, etc., as soon as I get it.
I currently have a L&H Camp Uke like the one in the pictures, that I love, which is why I picked this one up, after only seeing the two pics. The UAS runs strong in me. Here's a link to Ukulele Corner where they show a bunch of Camp Ukes and a "Uke Jr." with the round hole. http://www.ukulelecorner.org.uk/home/might-come/soprano/lh-camp-uke As you can see, it's quite a lovely specimen. No pegs, no bridge, no strings and a couple scotch-taped cracks. If it was a dog, I'd call it lucky! I think I'm supposed to get it in a couple days.

I'd like to see a "Uke Jr." stamp on this one when it gets here! Doubt I will. I'm glad I didn't see the uke that's mentioned in River_drivers post. $29! I couldn't have helped myself!

I have the same uke in the OP post. Sopranino size.

Harmony or Globe was the description when I bought it - a kid/beginner uke. It has a very distinctive neck. It is strung with D'addario titanium and I have it tuned CFAD.

Love, love this uke. It is by my bedside and makes a great practice uke.

It is a companion to my cowboy camp uke mentioned in one of the linked threads (pic also attached here), which is a much bigger ukulele.

Camp ukes are great, EDW. That sure is a pretty Lyon & Healey.

Attachments

• IMG_20180223_150628.jpg
    IMG_20180223_150628.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20180203_221721.jpg
    IMG_20180203_221721.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20180203_215655.jpg
    IMG_20180203_215655.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Camp Uke front.jpg
    Camp Uke front.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It's a "Silent Partner Campfire Ukulele." You'll notice that it has no strings, so it's perfect for playing by the campfire while people are sleeping. :eek:

All ukes should have a brand name, model, and date of manufacture printed on them.

Top Bottom