Acacia slotted head tenor - Kala or Leho ?

Sonic

Reaction score
Acacia slotted head tenor - Kala / Pono or Leho ?

I found these are 2 most common Acacia slotted head tenor for mid-range price.

Does anyone have comments on those ukes :D

Kala KA-ASAC-T
KA-ASAC-T.JPG

Leho LHT-ASAK
52823f65b8f63.png

Last edited:
I have the leho mango tenor and it's bloody amazing! If the acacia model is built like my mango leho, then it will have a big body AND not to mention, an arched back which helps a lot with projection. Another plus is the leho comes with a pick up so if you're definitely one to gig or plug in,ith I'd go wthe leho. My mango is gloss finish but I believe the acacia is satin.

The ONLY problem I have with my leho is finding a hard case which will actually fit its big body. But that doesn't really matter because it comes with a thick padded 20mm or 25 mm soft case which protects it really well actually.

There is a video review of the acacia leho here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiE794dwvE

Last edited:
I don't know if you're set on all Acacia, but the Kala KA-ATP-CT is a great tenor, and at a lower cost. You can see it on HMS's site, or in my living room. This is not a ukelele lacking volume. Corey at HMS likes it, and you can call to ask about the different models in that price range.

Bet they are both built in the same factory. Kala solid acacia is not quiet!!!! Some great deals on the Kala's.

don't know the Leho, sorry, I can only attest to my love of my Kala Tenor. Love!

I used to own the Kala. Despite it being very popular, I found the sound very uninspiring and the finish looks very artificial. Perhaps I fell out with it because I had the one with an onboard pickup - the electric sound was dreadful

I used to own the Kala. Despite it being very popular, I found the sound very uninspiring and the finish looks very artificial. Perhaps I fell out with it because I had the one with an onboard pickup - the electric sound was dreadful

If the OP doesn't need the on board electronics, I'd skip any A/E model in this price range. They tend not to be the best electronics, and unnecessary is just unnecessary. Better to put the money toward the acoustic portion. I still say call up Corey or Aaron at HMS, and ask their opinion regarding the Kala all Acacia, and the Kala Acacia with cedar top. I know what they told me: the cedar top is more consistent in build, and "they got that one just right".

(Pulls some green grass and throws it up to check the wind)

I think I'd go with a Kala on this one.

Hi flyingace

How do you compare your acacia with acacia-cedar model

I really love them both but they are definitely different 'animals'! The cedar is waaaay louder than the solid acacia but the solid acacia has a sweeter sound. They are both great ukes and for the money they are both deals of the century!

Like flyingace said, the cedar is loud. My wife was trying to sing over hers today, and we had to adjust her technique. It's really loud. The tone is nice, however, especially when the Aquila strings are replaced with something else. I have Oasis on both Kalas right now, but do have a set of Southcoasts waiting to be tested.

Thanks your comments on its bulid-in pickup version.

I would consider to take non-pickup version and install additional LR baggs five-o pickup. As I had one on my concert mahogany, lrbaggs five-o is so dynamic sound colour.

Between the consideration, the local music store recommended the same price range - Pono AT to me

I found Pono AT did have a thicker body (may be a negative feel for me as the default set of strings are too fullful in this body)
Wood colour is lighter than Kala acacia
Fret board is wider in Pono
Appearance is better in Kala

p.s. In the shop I tried Kanilea k1-t, the sound style is perfect to me but the price is not perfect !! haha :)

Pono AT
449568012_640.jpg

Kala ka-asca-t
sddefault.jpg

Top Bottom