Southcoast Classic metal strings

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just put on a set of Dirks (southcoast) Classic Metal strings, HML-CM, on my Webber baritone. They're a steel string, very thin tuned to Bb.

Dang, I thought they would be faunky but they really ring out and feel silky smooth.

I had been missing the steel string sound and was contemplating buying a tenor guitar, may still do that, but these strings sure come close to the sound I was looking for.

I wish Southcoast would come out with a hi tensioned linear G stringset but understand why he doesn't. It's all about the resonance factor. These CM's sure have that factor.

Last edited:
I am really tempted to give these a try. I'm just afraid that if I like them, I will be compelled to buy another ukulele just to have one strung with metal strings.

I've been meaning to try these...in the meantime, I was perusing the internet and found a reference to "tenor guitar with ukulele tuning". I'd been missing the steel string sound so I bought a Blueridge tenor ($300-350?) to give it a try. Really like it and it's a big hit at the uke jams...I can finally hear myself!
Talking to a guitar builder in my area here about a steel string tenor ukulele. He's going to make a sort of plain jane "prototype" model to try out the concept, Engleman and some exotic combo. Hope to keep the cost to less than $1200.

My guitar quota was reached years ago... although I am moving to a larger house, so maybe a tenor guitar might go unnoticed by "she who rules the nest."

I've had some on my Kala Archtop for two years. They're great and so is south coast's Dirk.

They don't hurt the neck; they feel like regular strings but sound like metal.

Here are the SC Metals on a Kanilea K1 Deluxe, before and after samples compared to a linear set I build from Savarez and Fremont.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrTr2qsQcuo
I'm a huge fan of the metals.

Cheers,

Southcoast strings are the best I've ever had on my ukulele. Never tried the steel set but I love my 2 wound strings with the trebles, I can't see myself changing too soon.

Great demo, thanks for sharing.

As Dirk corrected me, they "Metals" and there is one steel string which is the 1st course. However are the others are a special metal that has the tension that won't damage the bridge. You wouldn't believe how many PMs I got ( which I really appreciated ) where people were trying to save me from damaging my bridge until they realized these were not regular steel guitar strings. I will say now that I have played them for months, they do fade in crispness so if you do get them and they are a bit bright, they do tone down after playing them for 10-20 hours.

I don't strum with these as they really bring out the steel string "sound" you love with finger style. If you like to slide and tune to your favorite open tuning, these suckers can slide! I am looking for a metal slide that fits my finger as I have a glass Dunlop that is just "ok" but with a metal bar it's fantastic.

You can really jam some Delta blues with the metals.

big fan of SC too. I had the set that has 2 flatwound basses on a baritone for awhile, , and they sounded great, a little hard on my fingers though as they are kinda thin [and hard]

Top Bottom