Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "E" chord

Default "E" chord

So I just ran into a song with the E chord, and man I realized how difficult it is to play. Anyone have any tricks to playing the E chord? Or maybe something further down the frets that would be easier to hold?
    Mahalos.

“Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Berthold Auerbach

Kanile`a Custom T Walnut Tenor "Luana"
    DeVine Maple Concert "Momi"
    Flea Custom Sinker Redwood Concert "Nahele"
    Kanile`a Custom Koa Concert "Joy" (just visiting)

E Chord.....
    Hate it, can't play it, won't play it.....
    I had hand/finger surgery that won't let me...

I use the normal E7 or Em in place of it depending on the song but mostly the E7.
    Ukulele, the most fun I've had being bad at something!!!

ah much mahalos cpatch...I like the 4th picture over...so basically just barre the 4th fret and pinky on 7th fret a string...WOOT! I can't wait to get home to try it. I knew playing C& K was much easier on guitar. lol

There are a number of ways you can do it.

You can barre the G, C, and E string with your ring finger and fret the A string with your index finger.

You can use the middle finger for the G string, the ring finger for the C string, and the pinky finger for the E string, while fretting the A string with your index finger.

If you're playing a normal re-entrant uke (not like the one pictured), the note that's being played on the G and A strings are the same note, so you can get away without playing the A string. Just use whatever finger you want to fret the G, C, and E strings, taking care to mute the A string. Pressing down with only the pad of your finger helps.

A user here takes his thumb and wraps it over the top of the fret board to play his E chord. Whatever works.

thanks Seeso...I have been doing it the way you show in your first picture, and it works ok...but it's a bear to switch into and out of. I think I'm gonna try the 4th fret barre and 7th fret "A" string. Mahalos for your kokua with the pictures though.

along with seeso's first picture, i bar the whole 2nd fret and then use my ring finger to play those 3 strings

I do it the same way. I found this way worked the easiest for me.

Thanks for acknowledgment seeso.
    I met a girl several days ago that uses her thumb also
    - ローレン

Bayview Township, Bayfield County, WI USA

Thanks Seeso, probably never would have considered barre with the thumb. Have been substituting 4447 and 9877 E chord form. Need to face up to the dreaded E chord form 4442.

Lack ring finger first digit flex to barre GCE, the pinkyringmiddle on the GCE when I play this "1st position" E always sounds poor. Thumb barre does require a bit of contortions at this point. Hopefully things will smooth out and become "natural".
    Noel V.

Thread Information