Is this a legitimate Kala KA-C ???

str1pes

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was on slickdeals website when a poster put up a thread for Kala KA-C ukelele's for dirt cheap.

That said, they are not badged.

I really want to buy one but don't want a junky knockoff it that is what they are. Here is the link to the slickdeals thread. Nobody really knows anything about Uke's there so I thought I would seek out some forum member help.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6751868-kala-mahogany-ukelele-concert-size-49-99-shipped-meritline-com

Thanks!
STR1PES

Kala KA-Cs are machine made laminates in factories. For what it looks like, it could very well be a laminate from the same factory that produces the KA-Cs. But at the same time, it's probably from another factory with quality control higher or lower (I wouldn't know) than Kala. With that being said, you COULD risk your money for pot luck but if 50 dollars is a lot of money for you, best to save up for an actual branded kala.

Thanks. I am afraid to get a junker. I will probably go through a regular vendor. That said, I did contact Kala customer service and let them know about these...haven't got a reply yet.

Description says 18 frets. The one pictured only has 12 frets. Also, the one pictured is most likely a soprano while they are advertising a concert. Pass on it.

-The picture does look like a Kala KA-S, but the text is specs of the KA-C. As has been pointed out, the S has 12 frets, -- and open-geared tuners, & no Kala support. The KA-C should have sealed gear tuners, with chrome colored buttons, & 18 frets. Maybe this is how they deal with seconds, but sounds like a big risk.

best ask them why it doesn't say Kala...they look like stock photos. Ka-C's retail for not much over $100 anyway.

From listed length, it's a soprano that's listed as a concert. If no Kala, no Kala QA. May be ok, may not....a crap shoot.

So from my experience as a patent holder and having manufactured my product in China, this looks like a rip off situation where a factory grabs info, posts it on their site and tries to get people to order the knock off which they themselves do not make. They know people who don't understand that the details don't match the photos ( tip off #1). I can almost guarantee this is a place that has a connection to the factory Kala uses or another factory and is using the Kala name. I would be highly suspect and not order these to save any possible aggravation.

If you want a Kala, then go through a legitimate reseller, or you can buy one from Ebay. China is so flagrant on intellectual property rip offs it would make your head spin. A company got a screenshot of my product and we found it on Alibaba of all places. I had to get my attorney to issue a takedown order because Alibaba is under U..S jurisdiction. The idiots left our name on the product and listed it for cheaper than I could get it made. However this was an injected molded item and I know the mold which is about 2000 pounds of steel was with us.

It's a massive problem and when people really understand what happens there it's not rumors. Not all factories are unscrupulous but many do back room door deals, or take and order and have their buddy send them out. This looks like one with mismatched photos and descriptions. I would go for a real Lanika, Kohala, if you want to spend less or a real Kala but I would stay away from these "deals". Better support someone you know is legit or someone who is selling something to upgrade.

I am doing an interview for my YouTube at Kala hopefully soon and will get try to get their comments on this.

thanks to everyone that replied. I'm not going to chance getting a ripoff or a 2nd product. Banjo.com is selling the KA-C for a decent sale price right now so I will probably go that route. What is the cheapest you have ever seen these go shipped?

thanks to everyone that replied. I'm not going to chance getting a ripoff or a 2nd product. Banjo.com is selling the KA-C for a decent sale price right now so I will probably go that route. What is the cheapest you have ever seen these go shipped?

Check Ebay They have uke, case and tuner for $104 shipped

This is by a company called Kaka which is a sister brand to Enya and Amari. If you are unsure of a brand but still want to roll the dice please do business with a reputable vender with a good return policy just in case...

Last edited:
Hi guys. I was on slickdeals website when a poster put up a thread for Kala KA-C ukelele's for dirt cheap.

That said, they are not badged.

I really want to buy one but don't want a junky knockoff it that is what they are. Here is the link to the slickdeals thread. Nobody really knows anything about Uke's there so I thought I would seek out some forum member help.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6751868-kala-mahogany-ukelele-concert-size-49-99-shipped-meritline-com

Thanks!
STR1PES

it says "kaka" ON THE HEAD STOCK! no its not kala.
there was a discussion on here maybe a month or a little more about this brand being the name basically means poop its also makes it less desirable. Just another really cheap knock off brand not a true kala.
Btw kala just announce their starting to make more expensive USA made ukes now FYI.

This is by a company called Kaka which is a sister brand to Enya and Amari. If you are unsure of a brand but still want to roll the dice please do business with a reputable vender with a good return policy just in case...

True they are a sister brand to Enya.
What I find strange that in taobao.com or tmall.com (Chinese ebays), kaka ukes retails around ~$50 too (shipping price included). For what it is worth, they are laminate mahogany.
At $50, you can actually find reasonable entry level ukes provided that you get them from a reputable seller.

I didn't pay a whole lot more for my Makala, which is Kala cheap. So far it has served me well. While I'm sure that I'm going to replace it someday with something a little nicer, it plays fine and has the Kala company standing behind it. If one does not want to put out a hundred and change for a Kala, they can always buy the Makala and be assured that that they are getting what they are paying for.

I am the only one who feels a small twinge to buy a Kaka uke? Not to play, but more as a conversation piece! Anyone want to see me play my Kaka? Ha!

Top Bottom