Midlife crisis Uke?

I'm with Bill, get a Kinnard.

I can also highly recommend Kinnard having had the fortune to play 5 or 6 of them. Definitely a must-have for me. I figured the Mya-Moe was top of your price range which is why I suggested something a bit less in the Covered Bridge.

Mya-moe myrtle concert is an amazing sound, would make a great uke to take on stage, or just to wow people at a party.
The tenor is great too, and so is the soprano.
Not as warm as mango, but more articulate (seems to have great frequency response) and it's just glorious, like sunshine. Wow.
Here's the video I'm going by (starts at 2:30 for the concert)
Here's the video of the Tenor

It was in my top five favorite available ukes (apart from uber expensive over $2000 etc) (though it cost 5 times too much $ more me!) along with a KoAloha, and a Ko'olau. I listened to a lot, so I don't say that because they're popular, this is MY take regardless of hype, out of hundreds of ukes I listened to recordings of. Overall I actually liked a much cheaper mainland mango concert more than those three, which was lucky for me, since I couldn't afford any of the others and yet I still got to have my first choice. But my taste is based on how the sound makes me feel. If I was choosing for a performance, and I had the money, I might go with something more articulate, like the mya moe myrtle.

You mentioned an electric, which is a totally different direction, so it seems you might not have settled on what you want yet. It's hard to advise you without knowing what sound you're looking for. I liked the eleuke demo where they put a bunch of different musicians clips back to back. I haven't listened to the one you mentioned much, so I can't compare.

My idea of a mid-life crisis uke would be to go with an individual luthier to make a custom uke, to have a one-of-a-kind, no brand name, but I realize it's not for everybody, it's more involved, and complicated.

About the blackbird, if you really need something for rugged backpacking trips or something, it might make sense, assuming you already have an amazing uke. But if you're simply looking to spend on an amazing uke that wows you, those things aren't designed with sound as the only concern, so why not spend it on one that sounds amazing and moves you?

If you like concerts, and a cheerful angelic sound, it would be hard to go wrong with the mya-moe myrtle concert.
If you like tenors, the mya-moe myrtle tenor is fantastic too, can get a really great bluesy sound out of it. Unique among tenors.
I've heard they have good customer service, caring, prompt etc. I've also heard nothing but good things about the owner of KoAloha.

Last edited:
I can also highly recommend Kinnard having had the fortune to play 5 or 6 of them. Definitely a must-have for me. I figured the Mya-Moe was top of your price range which is why I suggested something a bit less in the Covered Bridge.

Yes, those Covered Bridge ukes are an amazing value. Their sound is excellent.

OK - I'm wavering - just saw a couple more posts about how everyone is thrilled with their mainland ukes. I'm wondering if getting a red cedar tenor would be cheaper and also help me figure out if I like cedar tops...

One thing about Mya-Moe concert pineapples - Gordon told me when I expressed an interest in them that they're actually super sopranos (if you're still considering that and if it makes a difference).

I have had three KoAlohas of which I would mainly recommend a longneck concert. In my opinion, I don't think you can go too far wrong with the Mya Moe. Char and Gordon are great to do business with and the Cedar/Maple combination will make a perfect one. Myrtle will be too quiet, but your choice will have good tone and projection. Love my Cedar/rosewood cutaway and the feel of the slender neck...perfect intonation unlike what you might find with others. Good luck.

P, you've got a nice stable of mid-range ukes, why add another just to "try cedar"?

Cedar is universally known as a fabulous top. Were it me, I'd get the Mya Moe that all mention...I adore the sound and build. So precise. Order one, enjoy the year wait and communication w Char and Gordon and other MM owners, and sell any of your current ukes that you don't absolutely adore. You'll love it.

Cheers, PTO.

I'm turning 67 next and my mid life crisis hasn't started yet, or has it? I only have 9 ukes.

It seems you have averted a mid-life crisis. You should celebrate and buy an expensive ukulele.

I'm turning forty in a few months and was wondering what an appropriate mid-life crisis ukulele is. For a start it should be cheaper than buying a sports car...and I've already started saving my money.

Here's what I'm considering:

1. Mya Moe - I grew up in Washington, so I'd probably get their cascade series woods. I'm most interested in a pineapple, with either concert or tenor size, either all myrtle, or maple with a cedar top. My concern is that there's a lot of variables there - I could easily make silly decisions and wind up with something that is not to my taste.

2. Blackbird Clara - I've seen glowing reviews, I can buy from a local store and its durable. I like the pineapple shape, but I'm waffling a little on concert vs. tenor size.

3. Godin MultiUke - the advantage on this one is price. I've already got an amp, and this one gets great reviews for the feel, sound and playability.

4. Koaloha - I've really liked what I've read and heard online - probably leaning towards a concert model of some type.

So - I'm interested in input on both which of these ukes people have played and liked, but also which is best balm for the realization that its all down hill from here :)

I'm turning 50 in a few weeks, so I feel your pain and then some, brotha'. I'll tell you what, I'll sell you my '02 911 Cabriolet which I currently have on the market and I'll toss in a Super Concert KoAloha. ;-)

I'm turning 50 in a few weeks, so I feel your pain and then some, brotha'. I'll tell you what, I'll sell you my '02 911 Cabriolet which I currently have on the market and I'll toss in a Super Concert KoAloha. ;-)

Good one Eddie. :) BTW, turning 50 isn't all that bad and for me it was awesome. That is when I took up playing the ukulele.

P, you've got a nice stable of mid-range ukes, why add another just to "try cedar"?

Cedar is universally known as a fabulous top. Were it me, I'd get the Mya Moe that all mention...I adore the sound and build. So precise. Order one, enjoy the year wait and communication w Char and Gordon and other MM owners, and sell any of your current ukes that you don't absolutely adore. You'll love it.

Cheers, PTO.

This is probably the smart thing to do. Unfortunately, my track record is a little mixed on doing the smart thing...

Sounds like a good deal to me - although I doubt my budget would work for you.

This could be like an experience I had a few years back where I applied for job - and they offered it to me. They told me what they expected to pay, and I told them what I expected to be paid and we were both insulted...

I have a Mya-moe myrtle pineapple tenor. I love pineapples and it's great to play. Char picked out the wood for me and she did a fantastic job. I told her that I wanted a tenor pineapple and she selected all the various wood parts (bindings, fretboard, top, back, sides). It is super fun to play and other people are very drawn to it. Playing a pineapple uke makes me feel like I'm on vacation!

IMG_7062.jpg

Did you make your decision yet? If so, what did you decide on?

Last edited:
I have a Mya Moe pineapple, too, Lp. The wood isn't as pretty as yours--I picked mine myself and it has sapwood down the center like a summer skunk--but it's still cool looking in its own plumber's crack way. I do love the sound which is stellar.

Last edited:
Interesting but...

I'm already concerned that anything over about $500 is too much because I don't want to have an instrument that I'm uncomfortable about using...

Top Bottom