New Aquila Super Nylgut Strings - Review and Comparison with Regular Nylgut

OmegaMatt

Reaction score

I've made this video to try and compare the new super nylgut strings with the regular nylgut. I struggle to put into words the differences so I would be interested to hear what you hear - if that makes any sense!

For the record, the claim is 'they tune in seconds'. They are quick to settle, faster than the regular ones and faster than anything else I've tried too - but seconds? Nope.

Thank Matt, this is very helpful.

My impression is that although the new ones sound quite good for picking, (because they are lower pitched, they sound less shrill and more soulful) when I compared* the fast strumming, the old aquilas actually seem to be more well-rounded sounding with less attack, so they sound nicer to me. I'm assuming you strummed pretty much exactly the same both times.

I think the strumming shows the old ones have more overtones, which rounds out the sound, so even though they are higher pitched, they somehow have more fullness and and a certain kind of oomph when strummed. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I didn't notice this with the picking. I don't know enough to say that it's just overtones, maybe it's harmonics between the strings, or the body resonating. I have noticed before though, that nylguts shine in their ability to generate overtones.

I'll listen to your video a few more times before deciding. My current impression is I don't think I'll switch. I don't want to give up the impact of the strum, just to improve the picking. I love the boom of a good strum.

Thanks again, this is really appreciated. I can't afford to buy all the strings and test them, so it helps to hear a side-by-side like this.

*: I compared by rewinding and fastforwarding so I could just hear the same section of fast strum.

... Thanks again, this is really appreciated. I can't afford to buy all the strings and test them, so it helps to hear a side-by-side like this.

*: I compared by rewinding and fastforwarding so I could just hear the same section of fast strum.

As for me, I'm afraid the combination of old ears and sound reproduction through computer speakers made it hard to come to any obvious or definitive personal conclusions. And there's another important factor: as interesting as such "side-by-sides" go, these are two different ukes, albeit the same model. I say this because I own two Kala Tenors, same make, same model, same supplier, same batch, same age, and both with the same new, old-version Aquilas. Still, they sound notably different to the point that I like one very much and the other not nearly as much.

Ideally, one would record one set of strings, change them and record the other set later. Otherwise...

Last edited:
I am still with team Nylgut. It just sounds richer through the speakers. I would probably also go with the regular because of the great sustain when played on my solid spruce top and I have grown accustomed to the tactile feel of the grittier strings.

Thank you for the opportunity to have a comparison.

Thank Matt, this is very helpful.

My impression is that although the new ones sound quite good for picking, (because they are lower pitched, they sound less shrill and more soulful) when I compared* the fast strumming, the old aquilas actually seem to be more well-rounded sounding with less attack, so they sound nicer to me. I'm assuming you strummed pretty much exactly the same both times.

I think the strumming shows the old ones have more overtones, which rounds out the sound, so even though they are higher pitched, they somehow have more fullness and and a certain kind of oomph when strummed. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I didn't notice this with the picking. I don't know enough to say that it's just overtones, maybe it's harmonics between the strings, or the body resonating. I have noticed before though, that nylguts shine in their ability to generate overtones.

I'll listen to your video a few more times before deciding. My current impression is I don't think I'll switch. I don't want to give up the impact of the strum, just to improve the picking. I love the boom of a good strum.

Thanks again, this is really appreciated. I can't afford to buy all the strings and test them, so it helps to hear a side-by-side like this.

That is great thanks - it is hard to put into words sometimes what your ears are hearing... When you think of the number of adjectives we use to describe sounds.... sweet, bright, warm etc. it goes to show we all can struggle. So it was great to read your views. I am more of a picker than a strummer so I would switch, but not immediately - just when I next need a change.

As for me, I'm afraid the combination of old ears and sound reproduction through computer speakers made it hard to come to any obvious or definitive personal conclusions. And there's another important factor: as interesting as such "side-by-sides" go, these are two different ukes, albeit the same model. I say this because I own two Kala Tenors, same make, same model, same supplier, same batch, same age, and both with the same new, old-version Aquilas. Still, they sound notably different to the point that I like one very much and the other not nearly as much.

Ideally, one would record one set of strings, change them and record the other set later. Otherwise...

I know what you mean, and ideally the same uke would have been good. My problem was, not being in a studio, I would have had to record one set of songs and then re-string, and then the following day make sure I was strumming to the same pattern, at the same sort of intensity, the same distance from my recorder. If I'd have used the same uke and strummed harder I could have ended up showing a difference that wasn't really there. Having as I do, a memory that lasts about 30 seconds - I found it easiest to switch between two ukes there and then.

One precaution I took was to try 4 different KA-BFTE's that I had in stock and choose the one that sounded identical to my own when strung with the factory fitted regular Aquilas.

I am still with team Nylgut. It just sounds richer through the speakers. I would probably also go with the regular because of the great sustain when played on my solid spruce top and I have grown accustomed to the tactile feel of the grittier strings.

Thank you for the opportunity to have a comparison.

No problem, thanks for giving it a go!

Thanks Matt. Great comparison. While the strings are close in sound, I hear a definite difference. The Super Nylgut were a softer/muted sound in the mid range with a crisper, more metallic treble. How long had each set been on the uke when recorded?

Thanks Matt. Great comparison. While the strings are close in sound, I hear a definite difference. The Super Nylgut were a softer/muted sound in the mid range with a crisper, more metallic treble. How long had each set been on the uke when recorded?

The regulars (on my own uke) had been on for a week, and the supers had been on for 48 hours. The official line is that they settle in seconds, but it took a bit longer than that!

I agree with Hodge: the supers seem cleaner and clearer since the top notes stand out more from the mid and lows.

How can you tell the difference between new nylgut and super nylgut strings? Not sure what came on my Kala solid mahogany tenor. Kala says they're supers, but the shop set it up before I purchased it, and they only sell new nylguts and LAVAs, no super nylguts. Thanks!

I've played with Regular and Super on several Ukes and the tonal differences were always the same.

Regular = Lower bass tone
Super = Brighter clearer tone, not as bass like regular

IMHO, the visual appearance and texture are also different.

The "New Nylgut" strings have a stark white color, a smooth surface but not so shiny per se.

The "SuperNylgut" strings have a light-grey color and a bit of a sheen and slightly slippery surface texture.

Thanks! I believe I've got the supers. I like them, but they're harder to find locally than the new nylguts. I can get the Lavas though. Will probably try them next.

Top Bottom