$300. Suggestions?

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have $300 "uke dollars" burning a hole in my paypal account. What should I do? I am considering a mainland tenor or saving for another boat paddle build. What would you do? Any other recommendations accepted and appreciated!

My teaching colleague has a Lani Kai Tenor. I've played it several times and it's a pretty nice instrument for $300. I also have a Luna concert that plays nice and it was around $240.

I'd put it towards an 8 string tenor. Most likely Pono.

I enjoy my pono ms cute lil soprano with good sounds solid mahognay and it is well crafted you feel the quality when you play. Its not the sharpest looker but shes pretty great. i like her cause she is a base pono but it still feels high end. I think there might be one floating around for sale on this form. or HMS usually has them too

Pono hands down, especially if you want a Tenor. No shame in buying a used one.

Thsnks for all the input. Will take more! Great ideas!

Mahogany Tenor Slotted Headstock
or
Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor

I absolutely love my Mainland classic mahogany tenor. It has a wonderful sweet sound. I adore its playability and the intonation is spot on. You can't go wrong with any Mainland.

Happy shopping!

I wouldn't recommend buying a Kala Ka-ASOV tenor. I bought one a few weeks ago, and here's the list of problems:
-Too much volume and projection.
-Too much resonance. The overtones might please some, but it's too rich for me. I often play the same chords over and over, and don't finish songs.
-Ease of playability causes me to spend too much of my precious time playing the thing.
-Exquisite workmanship, and fine materials makes me feel guilty in some way. It should have cost more than $350.
-It came equipped with very nicely done bone nut and saddle. I have a huge stash of nut and saddle blanks, but can't use them on this uke.
-The neck is shaped so well that I can't even notice it in my hand. No more "I need a better neck" excuses to buy another ukelele with this model. I'll have to become more creative if I ever need excuses.
-The Grover tuners work flawlessly, so I can't kill time fiddling with fussy tuners.

Yup..... Stay away from this ukelele. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi Jamie,
Kala just released this model, and dealers are getting them in now. Mike has one at UkeRepublic, and I think Mim said she might be getting one after NAMM. It's made it hard to justify anything short of the other "K" brands for now, so that's not easy to deal with.... :D

Hi rem. You are in a nice spot right now with lots of options.

First, do you currently have a nice uke now that you could save a bit more? Anything / type you are interested in?

A bit of preference might help fine tune the search.

Hope this helps and happy hunting

PS Ponos are nice

If you can wait, I would always say save your money and buy a custom. I hear so many good things about the BPs

If you can wait, I would always say save your money and buy a custom. I hear so many good things about the BPs
I agree. I can't wait...but don't be me.

@rem50

This one is a bit north of your budget, but how about the Tiny Tenor, made by a partnership between Daniel Ho and Pepe Romero.

TinyTenor5697sm.x800.jpg TinyTenorkoax800.jpg

I think the koa model looks sweet. It has the boat paddle shape. Also seems pretty high-end for the features.

Find out more here:

(details and a few videos on this page)
http://romerocreations.com/tiny-tenor-features/

(for sale from the following & there may be others- MIM?)
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/romero-creations-tiny-tenor-solid-spruce-mhgy
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-romero-custom-spruce-koa-tiny-tenor.html

glad i dodged that bullet! :)
I wouldn't recommend buying a Kala Ka-ASOV tenor. I bought one a few weeks ago, and here's the list of problems:
-Too much volume and projection.
-Too much resonance. The overtones might please some, but it's too rich for me. I often play the same chords over and over, and don't finish songs.
-Ease of playability causes me to spend too much of my precious time playing the thing.
-Exquisite workmanship, and fine materials makes me feel guilty in some way. It should have cost more than $350.
-It came equipped with very nicely done bone nut and saddle. I have a huge stash of nut and saddle blanks, but can't use them on this uke.
-The neck is shaped so well that I can't even notice it in my hand. No more "I need a better neck" excuses to buy another ukelele with this model. I'll have to become more creative if I ever need excuses.
-The Grover tuners work flawlessly, so I can't kill time fiddling with fussy tuners.

Yup..... Stay way for this ukelele. :cool:

I do have a few keepers, i am really wanting another boat paddle . this time a ML tenor. it's just burning a hole in my pocket!
Hi rem. You are in a nice spot right now with lots of options.

First, do you currently have a nice uke now that you could save a bit more? Anything / type you are interested in?

A bit of preference might help fine tune the search.

Hope this helps and happy hunting

PS Ponos are nice

thanks all! Great ideas. I like that I am not the only impulsive person around! :)

Top Bottom