View Poll Results: Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fluke ukulele

60 58.25%
  • Flea ukulele

68 66.02%
  • Firefly banjo ukulele

28 27.18%
  • Fluke SB solid-body electric ukulele

3 2.91%
  • Cricket Violin

2 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

[DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with or compensated by this company in any way, just a very VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!]

Who loves their instrument(s) from The Magic Fluke Company?

I'm talking about the Fluke, Flea, Firefly, Fluke SB ukuleles and the NEW Cricket Violin...

I have been a multi-instrumental musician for 35 years and I am (or was prior to discovering the ukulele) primarily a guitarist, and I discovered the ukulele in December of 2012, and have owned, and still own some very high end instruments.

The quality of these instruments from The Magic Fluke company are simply some of the highest level I have ever seen, used, or owned. These folks take pride in their work and their acute attention to the details are easy to see.

I LOVE these ukuleles! I have a basic lava (black) concert Flea with the plastic (polycarbonate) fretboard and original friction tuners (soon to be replaced with the Gotoh UPT-L planetary geared tuners), and the top-of-the-line Koa tenor Fluke with rosewood fretboard, and pegheds tuners....both have Worth Browns mediums, high-g on the concert and low-g on the tenor. BM and BM-LG.

These are my best sounding, playing, feeling, LOOKING and intonating ukuleles, and at the moment my UAS is cured, and soon I might sell off all previous acquisitions in order to fund the purchase of more products from this company...

My concert Flea and tenor Fluke are my most prized and precious ukuleles of the 6 that I currently own, and while some may prefer to spend $1,000-$5,000 on a custom instrument from all the favorite names so frequently discussed here on UU, unless it has BETTER intonation than a Flea or Fluke, I'm simply not interested.

Unless the instrument is both manufactured and assembled in the USA, I'm also not interested. (I have nothing specifically against instruments made elsewhere, but I'd like to try and invest my money 'locally' if possible)

Instruments made by The Magic Fluke company are also affordable to the average joe, and by the reputation of The Magic Fluke company with their ukuleles, and my own personal hands-on experience (which is confirmed by at least a couple hundred other UU members) with the high quality, playability and tone, I can confidently say that you are getting a very good value for the money.

So, my fellow Ukulele Undergound members, please tell me:
    1) What you got?

2) Why did you buy it?

3) Tell me what you like about it, and what you hate about it?

4) Tell me if you plan to buy another and why?

5) If it got stolen, lost or damaged would you replace it immediately?

Bonus points if you share pictures of your instrument(s)!

Be sure to mark your entries on the poll at the top of this thread!

(as per suggestion from eugene ukulele (Jon) below, and since I can not edit the poll [don't know how] this thread and poll is for both past and present owners to participate, so if you do not own a Magic Fluke company instrument right now, but have had one in the past, please consider yourself included by default, and please add your voice to the discussion here)

Also, don't miss the NAMM 2014 video with Aldrine, down below in post #11.

Please share and discuss below...

-Booli
    Last edited by Booli; 03-05-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typos

Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans are not threading their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities. The narrowing viewpoint of the maze should appeal only to creatures with their noses buried in the sand." - (in DUNE by Frank Herbert)
    Remember that despite the most benevolent intentions, no good deed goes unpunished.
    PM me Email me My videos

Absolutely, Booli

It's because of my past great experiences with the 4 Magic Fluke instruments that I have owned (gifted one to my niece) that I made the plunge after 37 years and am now back to playing violin... Thanks to The Cricket!

in fact if you search some of my posts you'll see my indepth review do the cricket violin...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...onal-Review%85

You'll also see mr bojangles instrumental on my prized flea with rosewood fretboard and of course pegheds.... I picket it out as the best choice for my video, yes even over my KoAlohas and the lovely Mya-moe
    Why? Because the sound is nice and clear, it plays like butter, intonation is perfect even to the highest note at the end. And note, I was able to play this with no strap, it feels fine right in my arms.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Flea-this-time
    YouTube channel
    Photography Page
    Personal blog
    Are you on DailyMile?

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

Me me! What a timely thread. I just sent them a note of appreciation for the job they did on my special ordered Fluke. It came back everything I was hoping it would be. I just heard back from them a couple of hours ago thanking me for the appreciation. They rock.

(lava black tenor Fluke with rosewood frets, low g tuning)

(concert fret Fluke in plastic)

Not much to dislike but I wish I could see the frets on the plastic fretboard. I would replace them in a second if lost or damaged. I may spring for a wood fretboard to replace the plastic one as I find the low action kind of difficult when barring chords. But it sure plays easy.
    Last edited by Icelander53; 03-04-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Just thinking Booli, it may have been helpful to have another option in your poll for those members to participate who don't own one of these instruments. I've owned a couple of fleas and a fluke in the past and enjoyed each one very much.

I have another comment on the Magic Fluke Co. It's really pleasing to me, being older to see something of good quality at a reasonable price made in my country by my countrymen. I think we can be proud (without being unnecessarily patriotic) about that. It seems such a rare thing now. When I was a young man it was a different game altogether and I miss finding quality products I can afford being made here by skilled craftsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene ukulele View Post
    Just thinking Booli, it may have been helpful to have another option in your poll for those members to participate who don't own one of these instruments. I've owned a couple of fleas and a fluke in the past and enjoyed each one very much.
    Jon, that's a great idea, and I'm sorry for not thinking of it. This is the first poll I've ever created and I do not see a way to edit the poll or add a second poll to this thread, is there a way to do either?

Please advise...

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Jon, that's a great idea, and I'm sorry for not thinking of it. This is the first poll I've ever created and I do not see a way to edit the poll or add a second poll to this thread, is there a way to do either?

Please advise...
    Na, no biggies mate, you'd have to do a start a separate thread with a new set of options. It was just a thought "out loud" maybe for next time. Poll is col as-is.

I'm cheating here but these were two of the lovelies I used to own...
    Attachment 64524Attachment 64525

I confess to being intrigued by them, but they seem pricey for a plastic and laminate uke--and the fact you have to pay an additional premium for a wood fret board. Do most people pony up for the wooden fret board, or are folks content with the plastic one?
    Black Soprano Outdoor Ukulele
    Red Concert Manchurian Ash Fish Ukulele
    Magenta Concert Kala Ukulele
    Spruce Top Tenor Lanikai Ukulele
    Baritone Mainland Mahogany Ukulele
    Just getting started. Intend to trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene ukulele View Post
    Na, no biggies mate, you'd have to do a start a separate thread with a new set of options. It was just a thought "out loud" maybe for next time. Poll is col as-is.
    I just now have edited the top post to include everyone, as it should have been in the first place (sorry), and also added some personal information to qualify my experience and perceptions of these instruments.

Thread Information