The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters
I have a wood fretboard on my Fluke and it sounds awesome but to be honest the plastic fretboard is much easier to play for me at least. With the exception of barre chords.

I know I should put this in the marketplace, and will if it does not work here.

I sold my Concert Flea with the natural finish so I can get another Concert Flea with a bit more pizazz. I'm not against a wood fretboard or different tuners although it doesn't matter if it has them or not. I'm interested in the more unusual colors. I do want to stick with the Concert size Flea and not the Fluke.

WHATCHAGOT?

Last edited:
Cant vote, I do not have any of those nor have I ever played one, though would love to try one someday!!

I guess I'm missing something.........

I've had a Fluke for several years, and find it overall a below average instrument.........about what you should expect for the price. Good for the beach or camping. I'm glad it's American made as several have pointed out; (seemingly forgetting that Hawaii is after all USA).

I've had a Fluke for several years, and find it overall a below average instrument.........about what you should expect for the price. Good for the beach or camping. I'm glad it's American made as several have pointed out; (seemingly forgetting that Hawaii is after all USA).

I've never heard this kind of opinion on an instrument from The Magic Fluke Company...

What exactly is 'below average' with your Fluke? Please clarify.

also, who 'forgot' that Hawaii is part of the USA? I do not understand what this means.

ahh....you need a choice for not owning one.

Thanks but, it's way too late now, once a poll is created & published, you cannot modify the choices (at least it was that way when I made this thread).

The initial intent of the poll was for past/present owners, and I did not consider the case of a non-owner.

However, anyone is free to comment in the thread :).

Many have pointed out that it's made in the USA, almost as though it is the only USA Uke. I would agree that it is the most likely prehaps, the only the USA made entry point uke. Flukes and Fleas have below average intonation, so-so action and (as most entry point ukes) , do not lend themselves to to individual customization. However, compared to the Chinese entry levels, they are an upgrade. But OVERALL, and OVERALL is the key word, they are below average, but certainly rugged.

Flukes and Fleas have below average intonation, so-so action

This may be the first time I've heard this about Fleas/Flukes. The main reason I bought mine was because most rave about the intonation and action being spot on. Adjusting the action if it's not to your liking may be another story, however. Mine was just what I expected. Good action (for me) and great intonation.

Fwiw, my Fluke has excellent intonation to my ears and is extremely inviting to play, as many others have said of their Flukes and Fleas before.

Sound wise how would you compare your Fluke and tenor Blackbird?

The Blackbird definitely has more depth and more oomph, although right now they are strung with different strings (Blackbird has D'Addario Pro Arte, and the Fluke has D'Addario T2 with an Orcas fluoro low G), so I can't A-B them.

Playability wise: They are on par with each other.

Many have pointed out that it's made in the USA, almost as though it is the only USA Uke. I would agree that it is the most likely prehaps, the only the USA made entry point uke. Flukes and Fleas have below average intonation, so-so action and (as most entry point ukes) , do not lend themselves to to individual customization. However, compared to the Chinese entry levels, they are an upgrade. But OVERALL, and OVERALL is the key word, they are below average, but certainly rugged.

Steve:

Would you mind to please clarify your perspective here, and to confirm that you are not in fact just trolling this thread?

I really want to understand your points of reference for your comparisons - if you consider Flukes and Fleas as 'entry level' and in your experience 'have below average intonation' - I have a few simple questions for you:

Which brands and models do you consider to be mid-level? and what about high-end?

What do you seek in your rating criteria?

Are you a luthier?

-Booli

Steve:

Would you mind to please clarify your perspective here, and to confirm that you are not in fact just trolling this thread?

I really want to understand your points of reference for your comparisons - if you consider Flukes and Fleas as 'entry level' and in your experience 'have below average intonation' - I have a few simple questions for you:

Which brands and models do you consider to be mid-level? and what about high-end?

What do you seek in your rating criteria?

Are you a luthier?

-Booli
Booli ...Mate ....do not do a CeeJay (Me) and go off on one....lol...Stevejfc is entitled to his opinion ....I tried a firefly banjo uke ....I did not like it ...it was too light in weight and there was no differentiation for my fingers on the plastic fretboard...I could not "feel" the frets....the sound was fantastic and it barked like a banjo uke just should....but I came home with a heavy old (well new) Kala....and I love it......Ukes ....like guitars choose you .....I applaud your passion for the Flea Fluke ukes...(I do love the look of the ones that stand on their own behinds and I have not as yet wrung one's neck......)

Sound as a Pound

CJ

Booli ...Mate ....do not do a CeeJay (Me) and go off on one....lol...Stevejfc is entitled to his opinion ....I tried a firefly banjo uke ....I did not like it ...it was too light in weight and there was no differentiation for my fingers on the plastic fretboard...I could not "feel" the frets....the sound was fantastic and it barked like a banjo uke just should....but I came home with a heavy old (well new) Kala....and I love it......Ukes ....like guitars choose you .....I applaud your passion for the Flea Fluke ukes...(I do love the look of the ones that stand on their own behinds and I have not as yet wrung one's neck......)

Sound as a Pound

CJ

Hi CeeJay-

Thanks for the heads up - I'm not trying to wage a holy war, my intentions are quite the opposite, I am looking for common ground, and to try and put myself in the other persons shoes and try to see the world through their eyes and ears for moment, so that I can truly appreciate and in the end hopefully respect that other persons opinion.

I really am here on UU looking only to make friends, and not to antagonize anyone, but having said that, I've seen that despite trying to be kind, some folks just love controversy more than they love the ukulele, and that is a sad thing, as well as a waste of time.

I have no intent of malice here - I am truly trying to learn how other people form certain opinions that are very different from mine, and from my own experiences.

Yet...the future path is unwritten.

-Booli

Hi CeeJay-

Thanks for the heads up - I'm not trying to wage a holy war, my intentions are quite the opposite, I am looking for common ground, and to try and put myself in the other persons shoes and try to see the world through their eyes and ears for moment, so that I can truly appreciate and in the end hopefully respect that other persons opinion.

I really am here on UU looking only to make friends, and not to antagonize anyone, but having said that, I've seen that despite trying to be kind, some folks just love controversy more than they love the ukulele, and that is a sad thing, as well as a waste of time.

I have no intent of malice here - I am truly trying to learn how other people form certain opinions that are very different from mine, and from my own experiences.

Yet...the future path is unwritten.

-Booli

MMmm'kay ...gotcha ....

cheers

Be Coll...Cloo ...Cool (dyslexic fingers at Silly O'clock UK time )

This may be the first time I've heard this about Fleas/Flukes. The main reason I bought mine was because most rave about the intonation and action being spot on. Adjusting the action if it's not to your liking may be another story, however. Mine was just what I expected. Good action (for me) and great intonation.

I would agree with this. While I am new to ukes, Ive been a life-long guitar player so know a little about this stuff. My Flea has great intonation and action. I can improvise/solo on it guitar style and all the notes, everywhere are relatively in-tune for such a basic set-up. :)

Booli, you're absolutely right. I don't own any, but the Magic Fluke Company does indeed make fantastic instruments.

Top Bottom