The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters
I am posting here as a push reminder to those who are still subscribed to this thread to let them know that I have added some links to other discussion on the Magic Fluke instruments here on UU since this thread was started.

THEY ARE IN THE FIRST POST TO THIS THREAD.<---CLICK HERE

This way you do not have to page through all the thread to find them or use the search here on UU.

I hope to add updates as well as time goes on.

If you still have your Fluke or Flea after all this time can you please check in and report how it's doing and when/how/why you are still playing it?

Thanks!

Booli

My Fluke and Flea are the ukes I take out to singarounds. (Think acoustic open stage). They are robust and have good tone. Occasionally I plug them in using a microvox pickup and this works well.

People tend to be curious about them, especially the Fluke, because of their unusual shape but overall the reaction is positive and I get a lot of comments on how they like their sound.

I reckon they are less common here in the UK than over there because when I go to ukulele events, I am often the only one with them but a fair proportion of the people do know what they are.

Personally I like my Fluke and Flea. They are great sounding ukuleles as well as being robust and well made. Mine are both in standard setup with friction tuners and the plastic fretboard. It's what was available from dealers over here. The plastic fretboard seems to be holding up well so far and the friction tuners work well. Most of my ukuleles have friction tuners so I have got used to them and can get them in tune with few problems. It's a matter of getting used to making very small adjustments and if you overshoot, deliberately de tune and bring up to tune again. I can do that pretty much as quickly as most guitarists tweaking the tuning on their instruments with their geared tuners.

I recorded a song with the Fluke Tenor Walnut top to compare with my $2,000 tenor uke and asked uke friends to do a [Pepsi / Coke challenge] . The recording was done with my Iphone and built-in mic . Recorded less than 1 foot away from the mic. Most people mistaken the Fluke for the custom uke because it sounds crystal clear.

I like the Fluke because you don't need to worry about room humidity. I could leave it in the car in all kind of weather. This will be my worry free travel uke.

This instrument stay in tune for weeks and weeks. I strung both of my Fluke with Aquila Red and there is no issue with breakage. Perfect action.

I am currently selling the concert Fluke because I only play Tenor size. Good instrument should be played daily. If no one buys it , I am happy to keep it . It would be a perfect size to bring on the plane or even throw it in my check-in luggage.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-F-S-Fluke-CONCERT-SIZE&p=1881823#post1881823

I just got a Fluke concert, mango rosette, with Pegheads and the Hardwood Fretboard. I ordered from the Strum Shop in Roseville, CA (recommended/ shipped quick/ very well packed) - and I got a good deal on it.

I have had two Flea sopranos in the past, but never bonded with them. One had the plastic fretboard (did not like) while one had the hardwood fretboard. The hardwood is definitely worth the extra money.

The slightly bigger body/shape of the Fluke is noticeable better compared to the Flea in my opinion. In pictures and videos, I did not think it would be that much difference, but holding it, I much prefer the Fluke shape. I think the extra width at the bottom edges makes it considerably easier to hold. I find it nestles into the crook of my arm perfectly. I could never get the Flea to hold comfortably - it could have been its overall rounded-shape that made it kind of slippery.

I like the Concert size; it's perfect right in the middle. The Pegheads are really nice. I haven't had trouble though ever with their normal friction tuners though. They've always been solid and reliable and hold tight once the strings stretch out. I don't think the pegheads are worth the upgrade as much as the hardwood fretboard is.

Also, lastly, I still love the ability of it to stand on its own base. Made in the USA too.

(Relatively) new to the stable: a slightly used Firefly concert maple. Love it! I took it to last week's jam and everyone was raving about it. (We've had other banjo ukes at the jam before, but the compliments were very flattering.) Some of the old-timey songs just plain need that banjo sound and I have a blast with it. Also, you can't beat how light and easy to handle it is. MFC scores again!

(Relatively) new to the stable: a slightly used Firefly concert maple. Love it! I took it to last week's jam and everyone was raving about it. (We've had other banjo ukes at the jam before, but the compliments were very flattering.) Some of the old-timey songs just plain need that banjo sound and I have a blast with it. Also, you can't beat how light and easy to handle it is. MFC scores again!

Thanks for sharing the great story. I am glad your Firefly won the approval of the folks at the uke jam.

A few months ago I came across a used concert Fluke, 'LAVA', that likely was an older vintage model (New Hartford, CT on the sound-hole label, and the top was smooth and shiny, not wood-grain like my LAVA concert Flea) at a price that haunted me for days (the deal was that good) and finally I relented and received it a few days later. It is definitely used, but still in great shape and plays and sounds like a dream. Lots of projection and very clear note separation. Very happy with it myself.

I now have 5 different instruments from MFC and will soon be receiving a 6th, and am very happy with the sound, the feel, and the playability of every single one.

I will post an 'MFC group photo' soon showing them all.

MFC has announced a viola-scale Cricket fiddle and tenor-scale Firefly banjolele at NAMM 2017, as well as plans for a true 5-string banjo in a shorter scale...and years from now I would not be surprised to see a mando-type instrument or a guilele or kiku...

I will post the videos from NAMM 2017 for MFC to this thread later today for your viewing pleasure...:)

Fellow UU brother BazMaz has a new article up on Got A Ukulele about why his soprano Flea is still his most played uke after 10 yrs...

I thought that since it might interest other Magic Fluke Company fans, I've put the direct link here for your reading pleasure:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/01/what-is-my-most-played-ukulele-its-flea.html

THANKS Baz for always telling the story as straight and honestly as possible in your wonderful reviews! :)

Here is my 7 year old, green Flea ukulele. I bought the basic stock soprano with the plastic fret board, and friction tuners. I added a pick up that I made from a piezo doorbell buzzer wired backward to a 1/4" input jack. Everything else is just plane wear and tear from playing, as well as promiscuous use of markers. There is something about this ukulele that makes it special. I have played other Fleas and Flukes, but this one just feels the best (even though I know that there are many carbon copies).Flea.jpg

FYI: even though my strumming hand has worn through the finish and into the wood around the strings, there is no fret wear on the fret board.

Last edited:
I don't currently have one of their instruments, but a flea is on my wish list. As others have mentioned, they have decent sound and great action and intonation. I think that one of the things that is most important is that a number of years back many inexpensive ukuleles were junk. The Magic Fluke company put instruments in the hands of many who love playing precisely because of the quality of these instruments.

Fellow UU brother BazMaz has a new article up on Got A Ukulele about why his soprano Flea is still his most played uke after 10 yrs...

I thought that since it might interest other Magic Fluke Company fans, I've put the direct link here for your reading pleasure:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/01/what-is-my-most-played-ukulele-its-flea.html

THANKS Baz for always telling the story as straight and honestly as possible in your wonderful reviews! :)

Thanks man - sorry I missed this!

I own several very nice instruments including a Moore Bettah, two Mya-Moe and two Kamaka ukuleles. I also recently traded an unused uke for a used Fluke. The Fluke sits on the corner of my desk, ready to be played at all times.

I don't worry about the Fluke being affected by humidity, the cat knocking it over or being accidentally bumped if I slam the stapler.
I find that practicing on the Fluke on a regular basis makes me a better ukulele player. The plastic fret board is no problem and the stock tuners work fine for C6 tuning.

Last edited:
Hi friends, I was wondering-- does anyone here normally tune their soprano-scale Flea up to aDF#B ? I have come to prefer that tuning for the soprano uke generally, as the gCEA tuning often doesn't quite seem to ring very well for me on the soprano scale (though of course I know that many, many folks use gCEA on the soprano and are very satisfied with it)-- in other words, to me it just seems too "floppy", whereas aDF#B makes the soprano uke come alive! I'm wondering if any of you have experimented between the two tunings on a soprano Flea specifically, and what your impressions might be... thanks!

Hi Bill, yes, that is how I have my Soprano Flea tuned "up". It sounds better and the strings feel better. No more floppy strings.

Hi friends, I was wondering-- does anyone here normally tune their soprano-scale Flea up to aDF#B ? I have come to prefer that tuning for the soprano uke generally, as the gCEA tuning often doesn't quite seem to ring very well for me on the soprano scale (though of course I know that many, many folks use gCEA on the soprano and are very satisfied with it)-- in other words, to me it just seems too "floppy", whereas aDF#B makes the soprano uke come alive! I'm wondering if any of you have experimented between the two tunings on a soprano Flea specifically, and what your impressions might be... thanks!

does anyone here normally tune their soprano-scale Flea up to aDF#B ?
I had my Flea tuned up to that (D6 tuning) for a long time, but I found it hard to keep it in tune. It was always going flat like it was telling me it wanted to be in C6 tuning after all. I took the hint and now keep it in C6 tuning. I didn't find I had a strong preference for the sound or string feel one way or the other.

Thank you, Igor !! And if I may, let me push this question a bit further... what if a person hoped to experience, on a soprano Flea (or any soprano, I suppose) the more taut "feel" associated with the aDF#B tuning, while actually having the uke tuned to gCEA ? In other words, is there a way to opt for the gCEA tuning on a soprano without having the sense of "floppiness" that goes with it? Perhaps a specific set of gCEA soprano strings that are higher-tension or somewhat more rigid...?

Thanks, 3j0hn !! Very interesting observation there! By the way, string-wise, I typically use Martin M-600's on the soprano uke...

Thank you, Igor !! And if I may, let me push this question a bit further... what if a person hoped to experience, on a soprano Flea (or any soprano, I suppose) the more taut "feel" associated with the aDF#B tuning, while actually having the uke tuned to gCEA ? In other words, is there a way to opt for the gCEA tuning on a soprano without having the sense of "floppiness" that goes with it? Perhaps a specific set of gCEA soprano strings that are higher-tension or somewhat more rigid...?

Pretty much anyone on here knows more about this than I, but I have two sopranos, different brands, same strings. One has low action, the other high. At least the perceived tension is greater on the high-action uke. You might try some card stock under got saddle and see what you think. If nothing else, it's easy and free.

Top Bottom