The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters
Wow. Quite interesting. Liked the Koa the best. I wonder if a sound comparison with plastic vs wooden fretboard would show a difference. I've heard, though I do't know f it's true, that the wood on a fretboard affects tone, so plastic vs wood should too. Since only the laminate has a choice, it would be nice to have that included in the comparison so that all 4 options would be represented.

I do prefer the feel of the wooden fretboard. Years ago I knew someone who had the plastic board swapped for the wooden one and I swear it sounded different. Perhaps I was more colored by the feel, not sure. The regular sounds great, but the koa and spruce are a definite step up. I have played the koa ones and think they sound great. I never had the opportunity to try the spruce but have often thought that since the body seems to naturally have a somewhat mellower or warmer tone the spruce might be a great mix.

Hello all. Not sure how old this thread is but I have a question on the Fluke SB Tenor. Who has one and are you happy with it?
I

Hello all. Not sure how old this thread is but I have a question on the Fluke SB Tenor. Who has one and are you happy with it?
I

I have seven Fleas/Flukes, and I love them all. I prefer concert or tenor size. I never worry when I bring one anywhere, because they are so tough. They like being decorated. ;) I did three of the ones below, and other people painted the fish and the sunset. The last one is an image from the Hubble Space Telescope. I printed it on sicky vinyl. I have one more nit quite finished.

05.jpg 001.jpg 301.jpg 400.jpg 103.jpg

EDIT: One recommendation: If you get one, put a piece of that plastic they use to protect cell phones and other LCD screens in the area where your fingers fall after a strum. Most of the older Flukes I've seen have wear there. I don't like wear marks. :)

Last edited:
Jerryc41, thanx for the reply. Somehow my original post got truncated. I’ve been looking for the solid body electric fluke. I don’t know anyone who owns one, nor anywhere here in Canada where I can try one out, so it will be a buy from Magic Fluke as I don’t do used.
Just would like some pros and cons on it. I don’t do pedals and such so the Fluke SB is more in line with my tastes….

EDIT: One recommendation: If you get one, put a piece of that plastic they use to protect cell phones and other LCD screens in the area where your fingers fall after a strum. Most of the older Flukes I've seen have wear there. I don't like wear marks. :)

Hi Jerry,

That same idea was recommended by Booli some time ago and it was great at the time, and if you have a steady hand with an exacto knife to cut the screen protector to the correct size and shape. I had used one on my concert Flea from an iPad Mini.

Eventually, after about 3 yrs it fell off and would not stay on, and I am not going to use glue or tape or anything else like that to ruin the surface of my Flea's sound board.

Around the time when the screen protector fell off, I noticed that The Magic Fluke Company actually sells these, as a "pick guard" now and are pre-cut and sized for both Flukes and Fleas.

A little hard to find on their web site, and via the MENU:

"Home > More Products > Hardware & Fun Stuff" and then scroll down.

They are only $9, and can be found here:

Flea model:
PickGuardFlea-2T.jpg

https://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/pickguardflea.htm

Fluke model:
PickGuardFluke-2T.jpg

https://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/pickguardfluke.htm

(Sorry I do not have a photo of it installed on my Flea, I am moving my apartment as of 9am today, and all my music gear is packed up in the car already. The diagrams shown above, which are direct from MFC should suffice for now.)

I would rather further support The Magic Fluke Company for their fine instruments and accessories, rather than feed some nameless company from China selling on eBay or Amazon, especially with the very low cost for such an OEM pick guard having a perfect fit when you buy from them directly.

I too do not like to see sound board wear, but that is also a matter of technique to not scratch the sound board or finger board with your nails.

Not a criticism of anyone else's playing style, but if you are constantly hitting the neck at the 12th fret, or dragging across the sound board at the lower bout, this is energy from your strumming hand that is wasted, and could be conserved or better applied to a more refined control of your hand.

To each their own.

Hi Jerry,

That same idea was recommended by Booli some time ago and it was great at the time, and if you have a steady hand with an exacto knife to cut the screen protector to the correct size and shape. I had used one on my concert Flea from an iPad Mini.

Eventually, after about 3 yrs it fell off and would not stay on, and I am not going to use glue or tape or anything else like that to ruin the surface of my Flea's sound board.

Around the time when the screen protector fell off, I noticed that The Magic Fluke Company actually sells these, as a "pick guard" now and are pre-cut and sized for both Flukes and Fleas.

A little hard to find on their web site, and via the MENU:

"Home > More Products > Hardware & Fun Stuff" and then scroll down.

They are only $9, and can be found here:

Flea model:
PickGuardFlea-2T.jpg

https://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/pickguardflea.htm

Fluke model:
PickGuardFluke-2T.jpg

https://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/pickguardfluke.htm

(Sorry I do not have a photo of it installed on my Flea, I am moving my apartment as of 9am today, and all my music gear is packed up in the car already. The diagrams shown above, which are direct from MFC should suffice for now.)

I would rather further support The Magic Fluke Company for their fine instruments and accessories, rather than feed some nameless company from China selling on eBay or Amazon, especially with the very low cost for such an OEM pick guard having a perfect fit when you buy from them directly.

I too do not like to see sound board wear, but that is also a matter of technique to not scratch the sound board or finger board with your nails.

Not a criticism of anyone else's playing style, but if you are constantly hitting the neck at the 12th fret, or dragging across the sound board at the lower bout, this is energy from your strumming hand that is wasted, and could be conserved or better applied to a more refined control of your hand.

To each their own.

Thanks for the link. They have similar for the Flea, too. If you strum closer toward the fretboard, you can avoid hitting the top.

Jerryc41, thanx for the reply. Somehow my original post got truncated. I’ve been looking for the solid body electric fluke. I don’t know anyone who owns one, nor anywhere here in Canada where I can try one out, so it will be a buy from Magic Fluke as I don’t do used.
Just would like some pros and cons on it. I don’t do pedals and such so the Fluke SB is more in line with my tastes….

The SB Fluke is too new and too rare to find for sale used online, unless you're really lucky. I bought mine from Magic Fluke. It's beautiful, and it has a beautiful sound. Of course, you need an amp to appreciate the sound. I have a little $10 Honey Tone and a Fender Frontman 10G - $65 from Amazon.

Fluke SB.jpg

The SB Fluke is too new and too rare to find for sale used online, unless you're really lucky. I bought mine from Magic Fluke. It's beautiful, and it has a beautiful sound. Of course, you need an amp to appreciate the sound. I have a little $10 Honey Tone and a Fender Frontman 10G - $65 from Amazon.

View attachment 134490

Thanx Jerryc41. For your reply. I play in small pubs so a small amp will do me, I don’t use pedals as I feel they are in the realm of the steel string. Did you keep the stock tuners? I would up grade to the peg heads as I’ve never used friction type. How about set up, did you go to Low G? Also, I hear the Fluke has a wider neck, was this an issue? Any other thoughts on this uke would be appreciated. Thanx Rp

I got to fondle my very first MF instrument last week, a soprano flea. The owner has 6 (!) MF ukes, so she obviously is quite fond of them.

My tin ear liked the tone, it was impressively loud, and I was crazy about the neck -- both the size and the shape. Very, very nice instrument!

Thanx Jerryc41. For your reply. I play in small pubs so a small amp will do me, I don’t use pedals as I feel they are in the realm of the steel string. Did you keep the stock tuners? I would up grade to the peg heads as I’ve never used friction type. How about set up, did you go to Low G? Also, I hear the Fluke has a wider neck, was this an issue? Any other thoughts on this uke would be appreciated. Thanx Rp

I can finally reply after ne being able to get on for two days.

I'm not a big fan of PegHeds. I prefer Gotoh tuners, but I'd take any geared tuner over the direct pegs. I've added geared tuners to several of mine. Yes, my Solid Body has Low-G. I think I said I had bought it from the company, but I didn't. I bought it from an individual, possibly someone on UU. I have no complaints about my SB, but before spending the money, you might try to find all the reviews you can. Magic Fluke stands behind it's instruments 100%.

I got to fondle my very first MF instrument last week, a soprano flea. The owner has 6 (!) MF ukes, so she obviously is quite fond of them.

Imagine someone who has ten of them - eight Flukes and two Fleas, plus a Firefly. Yes, I like them.

Imagine someone who has ten of them - eight Flukes and two Fleas, plus a Firefly. Yes, I like them.

You all should start a MultiFluke club, or something!

I can see why they are popular. When I'm ready to upgrade the MF will surely be on the consideration list, although knowing me I would want koa with other bells and whistles which would put the Fluke into the higher end price point where the competition would be stiffer.

Thanx Jerryc41....what is strange is the only review I can find is Baz's on Gotaukulele. I’ve asked on other threads and you and one other are the only ones who have replied....so it’s going to be a factory order based on their reputation and cult following as no one carries them near me in Canada. Thanx Rp

Last edited:
..I can see why they are popular. When I'm ready to upgrade the MF will surely be on the consideration list, although knowing me I would want koa with other bells and whistles which would put the Fluke into the higher end price point where the competition would be stiffer.

This koa flea sounds fantastic. While I understand what you say about stiffer competition, but certainly sound, balance and intonation are top notch

Thanx Jerryc41....what is strange is the only review I can find is Baz's on Gotaukulele. I’ve asked on other threads and you and one other are the only ones who have replied....so it’s going to be a factory order based on their reputation and cult following as no one carries them near me in Canada. Thanx Rp

Look here -
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=magic+fluke+uke+review

https://www.google.com/search?q=mag...7j0i22i30l3.5455j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Maybe someone on this forum has one who lives nearby and would be willing to let you play theirs to test it out?

This koa flea sounds fantastic. While I understand what you say about stiffer competition, but certainly sound, balance and intonation are top notch

Yes I agree it sounds great, as did the one that I fondled last week!

I was real tempted to buy a MF as my "starter" uke but eventually decided that I didn't want to invest that much money right off the bat. In reading many online reviews and comments, the recurring theme seemed to be outstanding instruments at $200-300, but, optioned up into the $500 neighborhood they may not look as great compared to Martin, Pono, etc.

If I ever get to that point I'll have to try to see for myself.

Whats the state of the art in rear facing geared tuners for Fleas/Flukes? Any new options out there? Many seem too long or wide, and need modding, like the Grover 9 geared tuners. I wish there was a drop in replacement, but not as expensive as the Stealth tuners.

Here's what I've done, aside from factory-installed PegHeds -

Tuners.jpg Tuners.jpg Tuners.jpg Tuners.jpgTuners.jpg

I many cases, you will have to enlarge the hole in the headstock. I try to avoid that, but Gotohs need a larger opening. You might have to trim the width from some tuning machines because they extend beyond the edge of the headstock. Lots of tuners have screw slots that extend beyond the headstock, so I don't use them. PegHeds are not a simple drop-in. The hole has to be tapped for the tuners - different direction on either side (I think).

Last edited:
I once widened the holes and installed Gotoh UPTL. Worked like a charm.
When ordering from them they also can install Gotoh UPTs so it should be possible to ship it to them for an upgrade.

Top Bottom