has anyone used mango for a soprano top?

Garry Petrisic

Reaction score
Has anyone used mango for a soprano top? I have started a soprano using left over bits in my wood offcuts and have found some tiger myrtle for the back and sides and some mango for the top. I am wondering if the mango has been used before and what sort of sound I can expect.

Nice to see you back again Matt :) ..How's the finger doing these days :)

Lol, it's like new! If you count "never gonna be quite the same again" as "like new"... ;) But really, it's fine, probably have about 95% of full functionality, just can't quite straighten or close it all the way. My days of fistfights are over, although I suppose I could hold a roll of quarters in that hand in a pinch. ;)

Mango makes a nice uke top. Mine sounded somewhere between koa and mahogany I guess. Very nice tone

Thanks for the feedback to all. The piece I am using sounds OK on tap test so am looking forward to hearing it when finished.
Thanks again everyone.

The grain on mango is not straight or parallel therefore it lacks the stiffness that some other woods have. You might want to make the soundboard a bit thicker than you otherwise might to make up for it's inherent floppiness. I personally haven't had much luck in getting the sound I want from mango so I avoid it. Others apparently like it though. Good luck.

Thanks Chuck.

20140311_090433.jpg20140311_090442.jpgThanks Chuck. I appreciate your tip on thickness. I have not decided what bracing to use on the soprano. This is my first one. I have been building tenors and concert sizes. I include some pics of the wood.

i owned a mango mya moe supersop and while it was good sounding, it wasnt great sounding despite my love of mya moe sound in general. perhaps due to thicker wood as chuck says. it was a tad more subdued, deader to put it bluntly, and i sold it and have been shy about any other mango uke since then and likely will for the rest of my life

Thanks. I suspected this may be the case. it is not the same tone as the spruce when tapped. I will continue and do my best to impart some sound into it.
Garry.

Top Bottom