Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High tension strings on Pono Tenor

Default High tension strings on Pono Tenor

I have recently read the thread on Jake Strings on this forum and would like to try a set of J81 strings sold by UU on my Pono ATDC.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...bukuro-Strings

My concern is with the tension in the neck and possible ensuing damage. Does anyone have thoughts or advice on this?

Regards
    Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

If you're referring to the Pro Arte J-71, I don't think you'll have any problems with them and they incorporate an adjustable truss rod. I've used them on my HF-3. I've also used J46 Classical guitar strings as well as Savarez guitar strings on my instruments. If it stills troubles you, drop a line to HMS and inquire if using a hi tension string will have any adverse results.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Yes I was referring to the J71 strings. A typo on my part. I sent an email to Pono through their website but have not received a reply yet. I will wait for more feedback before trying this. Thanks for your advice,

Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

the neck won't suffer any damage. the truss rod allows the neck to be adjusted for different string tensions. any competent repair shop would be able to make the adjustment if you're not comfortable doing it.

Had a conversation with Andrew at HMS and he assured me that the strings would be fine on my Pono. They should arrive any day now and I am anxious to try them.

Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

Quote Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
    Yes I was referring to the J71 strings. A typo on my part. I sent an email to Pono through their website but have not received a reply yet. I will wait for more feedback before trying this. Thanks for your advice,

Bill
    Bill, I had some on my Pono Pro Classic tenor for a week or so. I put them on before heading out of town with my soprano, so they didn't get much playing time. When I got back, I decided I wasn't crazy about them on that uke and switched strings. I put them back in the package and saved them, since they were almost new, so if you'd like, I can send them off to you and you can try them for free. Just PM me with your address.

Jamie
    Soprano -- Mainland cedar/rosewood
    Concerts -- Mainland mahogany, Cordoba 20CM
    Tenors -- Pono Pro Classic cedar/rosewood, Mainland cedar/rosewood, Mainland mahogany

I will PM you. Thanks,
    Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

Had an email conversation with Andrew at HMS and he confirmed that the J71 Pro-Arte strings would not be a problem on my Pono so I will string them up this afternoon and see how they sound.

Andrew was most accomodating.

Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

Well, after a couple of days with the J71's I am ready to talk about how they worked out. The sound is more mellow than the Aquila's and the volume is less but I imagine if amplified they would sound wonderful. I like the brightness of the Aquila's better and my finger tips are screaming at me to change back to them. The high tension makes a definite difference in playing and I think it might take a couple of weeks to harden up my finger tips for J71's. Finger picking is less dramatic sounding and individual notes are more subdued than with the Aquilas.

So, I removed them and am back to the Aquilas for the time being.

Bill

Pono ATDC Tenor Cutaway

Quote Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
    Well, after a couple of days with the J71's I am ready to talk about how they worked out. The sound is more mellow than the Aquila's and the volume is less but I imagine if amplified they would sound wonderful. I like the brightness of the Aquila's better and my finger tips are screaming at me to change back to them. The high tension makes a definite difference in playing and I think it might take a couple of weeks to harden up my finger tips for J71's. Finger picking is less dramatic sounding and individual notes are more subdued than with the Aquilas.

So, I removed them and am back to the Aquilas for the time being.

Bill

you should try a set of the Oasis strings...like Worths but softer but still firm...and if you have a muddy dead sound the Oasis will clear the tone...they will be louder too...IMO

Thread Information