High tension strings on Pono Tenor

NOTLguy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
If you're referring to the Pro Arte J-71, I don't think you'll have any problems with them and they incorporate an adjustable truss rod. I've used them on my HF-3. I've also used J46 Classical guitar strings as well as Savarez guitar strings on my instruments. If it stills troubles you, drop a line to HMS and inquire if using a hi tension string will have any adverse results.

Yes I was referring to the J71 strings. A typo on my part. I sent an email to Pono through their website but have not received a reply yet. I will wait for more feedback before trying this. Thanks for your advice,

Bill

the neck won't suffer any damage. the truss rod allows the neck to be adjusted for different string tensions. any competent repair shop would be able to make the adjustment if you're not comfortable doing it.

Had a conversation with Andrew at HMS and he assured me that the strings would be fine on my Pono. They should arrive any day now and I am anxious to try them.

Bill

Yes I was referring to the J71 strings. A typo on my part. I sent an email to Pono through their website but have not received a reply yet. I will wait for more feedback before trying this. Thanks for your advice,

Bill

Bill, I had some on my Pono Pro Classic tenor for a week or so. I put them on before heading out of town with my soprano, so they didn't get much playing time. When I got back, I decided I wasn't crazy about them on that uke and switched strings. I put them back in the package and saved them, since they were almost new, so if you'd like, I can send them off to you and you can try them for free. Just PM me with your address.

Jamie

Had an email conversation with Andrew at HMS and he confirmed that the J71 Pro-Arte strings would not be a problem on my Pono so I will string them up this afternoon and see how they sound.

Andrew was most accomodating.

Bill

Well, after a couple of days with the J71's I am ready to talk about how they worked out. The sound is more mellow than the Aquila's and the volume is less but I imagine if amplified they would sound wonderful. I like the brightness of the Aquila's better and my finger tips are screaming at me to change back to them. The high tension makes a definite difference in playing and I think it might take a couple of weeks to harden up my finger tips for J71's. Finger picking is less dramatic sounding and individual notes are more subdued than with the Aquilas.

So, I removed them and am back to the Aquilas for the time being.

Bill

Well, after a couple of days with the J71's I am ready to talk about how they worked out. The sound is more mellow than the Aquila's and the volume is less but I imagine if amplified they would sound wonderful. I like the brightness of the Aquila's better and my finger tips are screaming at me to change back to them. The high tension makes a definite difference in playing and I think it might take a couple of weeks to harden up my finger tips for J71's. Finger picking is less dramatic sounding and individual notes are more subdued than with the Aquilas.

So, I removed them and am back to the Aquilas for the time being.

Bill

you should try a set of the Oasis strings...like Worths but softer but still firm...and if you have a muddy dead sound the Oasis will clear the tone...they will be louder too...IMO

you should try a set of the Oasis strings...like Worths but softer but still firm...and if you have a muddy dead sound the Oasis will clear the tone...they will be louder too...IMO

That very well might be my next trial. In the meantime, I will settle down with the Aquilas so I can stay in tune with my group this weekend. Thanks for the reminder that there are still alternatives out there including Oasis and Living Waters strings.

Bill

I'm not surprised. So far I've liked Worth Tenor strings best on my Pono --- both Brown and Clear, but Clear the most if I have to choose (Worth CT). I didn't like the Martin 600s at all, nor the D'Addario J71s. I haven't put Oasis on my Pono tenor yet, but I've put both kinds of Oasis on my Mainland cedar/rosewood tenor and like them. (On that uke, I like the Warm more than the Bright, but your mileage may vary if you are not a high tension fan.)

Last edited:
I've recently switched from D'Addario EJ87T Titanium T2's to PhD's. LOVE the PhD's and they're my go to strings now for my Pono.

Attachments

• Pono PhD.jpg
    Pono PhD.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Pono PhD.jpg
    Pono PhD.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Yes, the PhD's are slightly brighter than Worth Clear's, but softer on the fingers. They're my 'go to' strings now for my Pono Tenor.

Top Bottom