Tenor Guitar

notgeorgeformby

Reaction score
Anyone play the tenor guitar?

I'm looking at a small bodied one, and it looks somewhere between baritone uke and parlour guitar in size. And the steel strings might take a bit of getting used to.

I'm thinking about it too. I haven't seen or played one in person, but from what I've read (in some Elderly Instruments descriptions) they're usually tuned in 5ths. That doesn't mean they can't be tuned differently, but it's something to be aware of. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in here. What I want is an octave uke without an octave uke price. There, I said it. :)

I have two and I tune them like baritone ukes.
Use this string chart for proper strings.
Tenor String Chart.jpg

Here is my Blueridge BR-40T (They go for around $400)Along with my Soares'y Fourcaster (around $300) and my Mainland red Cedar tenor uke.
3Tenors.jpg
Ibanez is now selling a smaller tenor for around $300 that looks good but I haven't played one.

I mostly use open tunings on mine. I have a fondness for fiddle cross-tunings down an octave. I started using CGDA but I broke the A all the time. I saved strings by tuning down a whole step (BbFCG) and capoing, and that works, but I really like the wild droney sound I get from the cross-tunings.

I tried a tenor guitar for a while tuned like a baritone. I really didn't like it; I didn't feel like I could get the right tension on the strings. It's really meant to be tuned like a banjo.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

@cb56 That chart is very helpful, thanks.

The Blueridge BR-40T sounds lovely. For those of you who own a tenor guitar, this is the one I'm considering. It's about the cheapest I can find but don't know anything about the brand at all, but does it look like a good buy to you?

Is this the Ibanez you mean, @cb56?

Realize that the guitar will more than likely need a good setup to play as intended. Otherwise it is just an expensive cheese cutter.

I don't know anything about the Tonewood brand. Yes the Ibanez is the one you linked to. Selling here for $299 USD. It also has a solid spruce top like the Blueridge just a smaller body. The tonewood guitar probably has a laminate top.
Use correct strings (see chart previously posted) and you will have proper tension.

Thanks, cb.
The Ibanez looks like it will only be available in the UK from August. I suppose it gives me time to save up my pocket money.

I just read on the Tenor Guitar Registry that Kala is coming out with a small-bodied, short-scale tenor guitar. No details on when, but it sounds like it will resemble the short scale Regal tenors/Fletcher Tenortones - 21" scale with a body just a bit bigger than a baritone ukulele.

I just read on the Tenor Guitar Registry that Kala is coming out with a small-bodied, short-scale tenor guitar. No details on when, but it sounds like it will resemble the short scale Regal tenors/Fletcher Tenortones - 21" scale with a body just a bit bigger than a baritone ukulele.

That sounds like my dream ticket. I love Kalas.

Whoo, hooo, Sounds like a good way to go. Now, if they would just make a concert size 8 string taropatch. Somebody, please. The world doesn't need another tenor 8 string uke.

I saw that posting too, and I'm intrigued! A short-scale tenor has been on my wishlist for a while. I hope this one comes to fruition. I think the tuned-in-fifths ukes were Kala's way of testing the waters. An actual tenor guitar is the next logical step.

I wonder: will this be Kala's first steel-stringed instrument?

- FiL

Top Bottom