Tenor Guitar

Just a head's up to say I took the plunge and bought a Tanglewood second hand. It came today and it sounds great, really resonant tone with low action and so much volume. Very chuffed.

340946.jpg

Just received a new Blue Ridge BR-60T tenor guitar. Wow what a BEAUTIFUL guitar and the sound is WOW! I can see I'm going to spend a lot of time on this one. For the last year or so, I've been playing an Ohana baritone more hours than I care to discuss and this seems to be a logical choice for more punch! It felt comfortable from the first chord I struck....I think I'm in Love! <G>

I've been looking for a tenor guitar myself and will be checking out the ones mentioned. In the meantime, I've put a set of Southcoast HML-CM on my Webber baritone. It's the thin metal set that Dirk makes. Dang, it changed that bari into a great sounding metal stringed instrument.

For those who have a tenor or baritone and want that steel string sound, the HML-CMs' are the string to try. I can tune to a Bb on my bari with them and a C on my tenor uke.

Just received a new Blue Ridge BR-60T tenor guitar. Wow what a BEAUTIFUL guitar and the sound is WOW! I can see I'm going to spend a lot of time on this one. For the last year or so, I've been playing an Ohana baritone more hours than I care to discuss and this seems to be a logical choice for more punch! It felt comfortable from the first chord I struck....I think I'm in Love! <G>

Congratulations! I'm looking at a solid top myself at the moment. Tempted by the Aria AF which is a very similar spec to the Blueridge I believe.

I bought lovely wife a Blueridge BR-40T, in a really nice Golden Gate case built by Saga for that specific guitar, from maurysmusic.com last year. (NFI--just a satisfied customer who got a very good deal.) We tune it DGBE with phosphor bronze strings, so all the uke chord shapes work...but the pitch is two-and-half steps lower than standard uke tuning. The BR-40T is really loud, which makes it fun to thrash on, but you can tame its brash voice with fingerpicking, thin picks and by finding the sweet spot closer to the neck.

The parolor-sized body and thin neck are very comfortable, and setup from Maury's was fine. Lovely wife normally plays a concert uke, so the longer scale (and steel strings) for a tenor guitar are a bit of a challenge. But I started her with a capo on the fifth or sixth fret, and she's backing it down the neck as she adjusts to longer stretches for her familiar uke chords.

I've been playing stringed instruments, left-handed, for more than 40 years and like it well enough that I'd like to own the left-handed version. Our next experiment with it will be an open tuning (maybe DGBD) and a slide. :)

I've been playing tenor for a couple of years now and have a Goldtone and a Soares resonator:

two_guitars_01.jpg

If you live in the UK then I would recommend the Ozark short scale tenor guitar as a fantastic budget model.
Solid top, 21.5" scale and sweet as a nut in CGDA.

If you live in the UK then I would recommend the Ozark short scale tenor guitar as a fantastic budget model.
Solid top, 21.5" scale and sweet as a nut in CGDA.

I asked about that one at my local outlet. He said he stopped stocking them because of "quality issues".

Hmm interesting!
Mine is only 6 months old but I really hammer it & have used some powerful strings in GDAE.
I now use CGDA which seems to suit the guitar better.
I cant see any issues so far in fact, it is a fantastic instrument in every aspect & generally rated as very good quality.
It has been played on stage & busking too.
I know plenty of guys on the tenor guitar forums who rate the Ozark, not heard a bad word about it before!
Time will tell I guess!
I will be the first guy to report any issues though...

Actually Ozark do sell a more expensive longer scale model with a cut out body, that one has had reputed issues!
Apparently it is not made in the same factory as other Ozark instruments.

Hi
Been a member a while, but first post.
I have a Squier Mini Strat, I took the 1 and 6 strings off and then tuned the rest in intervals like a low G uke, leaving the 4 string as A.
Eventually the plan is to make a four string neck like the Soares'y Fourcaster, but to be honest it's fine playing it as is - might benefit from making a new nut with slightly wider string spacing as per uke, but I haven't got around to it.
I can switch between Tenor uke and the Strat with no problems.
If you're in the US you can get a new mini Strat for under $100.... I've read negative comments on them but the one I have is really good for the price, - tuners are very stiff, but once it's in tune it stays in tune for ages, even with the original skinny strings.
Tone is very good for such a cheap instrument.

Mike
New Zealand

Put GDAE on my Blueridge 40T and really love it. Got a couple sets of strings (45w 035w 023w 013) being custom packaged for Breedlove tenors and they sound sweet.

Well I play a regular guitar but I made the last two strings Still so to speak ..I intend to buy a regular tenor guitar in the future but now I'm too busy playing and buying ukes (I play the Baritone as well )

I play a Gold Tone tenor guitar... their budget model. I really like it. It is tuned to CGDA, just like the American tenor banjo, and I just use a standard tenor guitar string set.

Top Bottom