Tenor Guitar

You can add me to the list. I just received an Ibanez AVT1. It's great to be able to stay with 4 strings, but move to a new sound and instrument.

You can add me to the list. I just received an Ibanez AVT1. It's great to be able to stay with 4 strings, but move to a new sound and instrument.

Welcome to the TG community. There's just something haunting about the sound of a good, steel-stringed guitar.

The AVT1 and the Blueridge BR-40T seem to be the top two TGs in the under-$500 price range. I love my 40T and actually have tried to match the sound as close as possible on a nylon-stringed ukulele, mainly for the convenience of traveling with a smaller-sized case. The closest I've come is with a Pono Pro Classic tenor ukulele tuned CGDA.

Welcome to the TG community. There's just something haunting about the sound of a good, steel-stringed guitar.

The AVT1 and the Blueridge BR-40T seem to be the top two TGs in the under-$500 price range. I love my 40T and actually have tried to match the sound as close as possible on a nylon-stringed ukulele, mainly for the convenience of traveling with a smaller-sized case. The closest I've come is with a Pono Pro Classic tenor ukulele tuned CGDA.

I'm curious to see how the Kala does as well. Although, it looks identical to the Ozark, I wonder if they make it for Kala?

Interesting thought, what strings do you use to tune your Pono to CDGA? How is the tension?

I'm curious to see how the Kala does as well. Although, it looks identical to the Ozark, I wonder if they make it for Kala?

Interesting thought, what strings do you use to tune your Pono to CDGA? How is the tension?

I use Aquila's 31U string set, marketed as CGDA for concert ukes (Elderly has them). Have been using the 31U set for a long time on soprano-to-tenor, including on a concert banjolele, and am pleased with the results. The 31U loads up very well on the tenors I have (the Pono and a Lanikai SMP) with no tension strain. The Pono performs like a "mini-TG" and the Lanikai (when amped) hangs in there well.

I have been thinking of picking up a tenor guitar. I purchased a Gretsch "guitar ukulele" to fill in the gap, so to speak, between my guitar and ukulele - but although I enjoy it, it hasn't really hit the sweet spot for me. Perhaps a TG is what will do it.

The ibanez seems nice, but the styling is a bit too retro for me. The Blueridge is more likely for me, but I would like to see the Kala in the wild before I decide.

I have been thinking of picking up a tenor guitar. I purchased a Gretsch "guitar ukulele" to fill in the gap, so to speak, between my guitar and ukulele - but although I enjoy it, it hasn't really hit the sweet spot for me. Perhaps a TG is what will do it.

The ibanez seems nice, but the styling is a bit too retro for me. The Blueridge is more likely for me, but I would like to see the Kala in the wild before I decide.

For the money, the Kala, Ibanez and Blueridge are all good. I got my Blueridge on a trade for a mandolin and couldn't be happier. I do prefer a pick guard (the Blueridge comes with one) and would probably put one on a Kala or Ibanez if I ever got one of those. Considering the TG market, they do seem to have great trade value.

Don't forget the new Pono, to bad it's expensive though. I know they are calling it a baritone, but it's a tenor guitar based on scale length anyway.

I love my Blueridge BR-40T. It tune it DGBE. IMO If you are going for DGBE tuning the Blueridge is the way to go because it's larger body than the Ibanez or Kala. Now for regular tenor CGDA tuning I'd probably go for the smaller instrument.

Never tried DGBE on the 40T. GDAE was tough, as the E snapped a couple times. CGDA has worked well for me, and matching against the tenor banjo also tuned CGDA makes for an interesting exchange during playing sessions.

I love my Blueridge BR-40T. It tune it DGBE. IMO If you are going for DGBE tuning the Blueridge is the way to go because it's larger body than the Ibanez or Kala. Now for regular tenor CGDA tuning I'd probably go for the smaller instrument.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but the Blueridge is a 1.5 inches wider at the bout but 1.5 shorter in length. If the over all area is roughly the same, I wonder what difference that makes to the sound of the instrument? I wish I could play them together to compare them.

Don't forget the new Pono, to bad it's expensive though. I know they are calling it a baritone, but it's a tenor guitar based on scale length anyway.

Hey, the Pono tenors look slick... but I really want steel strings.

Hey, the Pono tenors look slick... but I really want steel strings.

I tuned my nylon-stringed Pono Pro Classic tenor uke to CGDA and, when compared to the Pono TG online demo, the sound difference is noticeable, but not that great. That just goes to show how well the Pro Classic line is made more than anything else, as the Pono TG really is a neat instrument. There definitely is a night-and-day difference in the sound from steel and nylon strings.

Having a nylon-stringed mini-TG is convenient, and any tenor uke strung with Aquila 31U Nyguts (CGDA set) will give you that. I've got two standard tenor ukes (the Pono and a Lanikai SMP A/E) strung CGDA and they sound great. Yesterday I got a Oscar Schmidt 8-string tenor uke, restrung it with two 31U sets and the OS is surprisingly good. So, there are quick-and-easy nylon string alternatives available.

Will be spending part of today alternating between the OS and the Blueridge just to appreciate the differences.

I had the opportunity to try out the Kala TG at a shop today. I think I might go ahead and get one.

I had the opportunity to try out the Kala TG at a shop today. I think I might go ahead and get one.

Quite by coincidence, I just got to strum the Kala TG at a local store today. Sounded very nice. Smaller than my other acoustic TG (a lark in the morning model). But quite nice nonetheless. No idea how they had it tuned. I'm not as interested for myself because I have little interest in trying to learn chords for something tuned in 5ths. I have a hard enough time with 4ths!

I also have an electric les paul style Soares'y TG. Would like to pick up a resonator someday, Goldtone and Republic both seem to offer them. Have been sorely tempted by the Ibanez TG as well. Seems well reviewed and the parlor style body looks neat.

Would like to pick up a resonator someday, Goldtone and Republic both seem to offer them.

I tried out Gold Tone's resonator and banjo ukes yesterday. Build quality was quite nice, tone was excellent for both. Neither was quite as loud as I was expecting, though loud enough. Store price was just over $400 on each. I might have walked home with one, but I couldn't choose... :)

Quite by coincidence, I just got to strum the Kala TG at a local store today. Sounded very nice. Smaller than my other acoustic TG (a lark in the morning model). But quite nice nonetheless. No idea how they had it tuned. I'm not as interested for myself because I have little interest in trying to learn chords for something tuned in 5ths. I have a hard enough time with 4ths!

Well, just tune it DGBE then and your all set, same shapes that you already know. I didn't keep the 5ths tuning on mine.

Top Bottom