soprano top bracing?

Garry Petrisic

Reaction score
Lots of ideas about what bracing to use on soprano tops. This one is mango and is 1.5 mm thick. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looked at a lot on the web and most only have a bridge patch. Lots of them tend to bow down towards the sound hole after period of time.

I use a single brace just below the soundhole. 6mm or less wide, 8-10mm high.

Thanks for the response. I have put in such a brace and a bridge patch but wonder if a small brace running from the bridge plate up to the transverse brace is necessary. I will wait until I glue the top on and then test its stiffness. I am used to building larger ukes that do require bracing and this is my first soprano.

Keep the fretboard thin eg: .090", and the bridge/saddle low .3125" max..put's less strain on the tops...I put two braces at the soundhole 1/4" X 1/4"
and just a 5 1/4" long 3/4"wide by 1/32" thick bridge plate....See "Scott Antes" plans.

Lots of ideas about what bracing to use on soprano tops. This one is mango and is 1.5 mm thick. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looked at a lot on the web and most only have a bridge patch. Lots of them tend to bow down towards the sound hole after period of time.

I find Mango more problematic to build with because of the wild grain direction it tends to have. If I were building a soprano with Mango (and I wouldn't), I would definitely add a couple of small fan braces to help support the top between the bridge and the lower transverse brace. A little insurance goes a long way, and it isn't going to harm the sound any as long as you don't over do it with the braces.

To prevent dishing and yet maximize soundboard vibrations, do luthiers use string-thru design bridges on soprano ukuleles? Thanks.

I find Mango more problematic to build with because of the wild grain direction it tends to have. If I were building a soprano with Mango (and I wouldn't)

Agreed. if you are going to build with a floppy wood like mango make sure the top is radiused. That'll go a long way in stiffening the top.

I have been asked to make my first soprano, so this thread is timely, thank you.

Also, i have looked at mango at my local supply house, and it is SO floppy I am surprised it works. Sure is pretty though. I haven't seriously considered it at all.

Top Bottom