Tv show binge watching recommendations?

Also, I think I saw someone mention Peaky Blinders earlier in the thread. If you haven't seen it - treat yourself.

Does it take a while to get rolling? I checked out the first episode based on all the good things I read about it and it didn't really grab me. I'll usually give a show 2-3 episodes before bailing out on it but I was questioning whether I even wanted to continue on to the 2nd episode.

My last binge watch was The Knick, a medical drama set in the Knickerbocker Hospital in New York during the turn of the century. It's astounding how primitive medicine/surgery was in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Clive Owen is wonderful as the troubled but brilliant head surgeon. This isn't a show a lot of people have heard about but it's well worth seeking out. Currently 2 seasons have aired on Cinemax.

I'm pretty sure your local library should have the Six Feet Under DVD. An excellent series.

Oh yeah, it is excellent - I've seen it and would love to see it again; I should just buy it from iTunes or Amazon. The sad thing about my local library's DVDs and CDs is that I can't play their discs. The only device I have is my iMac, and the library uses some sort of sticker thing (I think it's an anti-piracy measure) that prevents the disc from fitting into the drive. I guess on a traditional drive with a lift-up cover or pull-out tray it's not a problem, but for those of us with computers only it's useless.

Bringing this thread up to the present - the last thing I binge-watched was the miniseries The Night Manager. Only 6 episodes, which was just about perfect for my short attention span :)

ringing this thread up to the present - the last thing I binge-watched was the miniseries The Night Manager. Only 6 episodes, which was just about perfect for my short attention span

The Night Manager Was Excellent.

Does it take a while to get rolling? I checked out the first episode based on all the good things I read about it and it didn't really grab me. I'll usually give a show 2-3 episodes before bailing out on it but I was questioning whether I even wanted to continue on to the 2nd episode.

I remember when I first started watching it I was really unhappy about the anachronistic music (mostly Nick Cave and PJ Harvey - so the producers were maybe goths in the 80s?) and the mostly terrible accents (I'm originally from Birmingham myself). But, despite all of this, it has ended up becoming one of my all-time favourite tv shows. I can't remember if it starts slowly... but I would say it's worth sticking with (if you feel so inclined). I can't promise anything but it's possible that we have similar tastes as I was also a big fan of The Knick :)

There are some great performances in Peaky Blinders, both from the main cast and the various guest stars. Tom Hardy as Alfie Solomons really is a treat.

I remember when I first started watching it I was really unhappy about the anachronistic music (mostly Nick Cave and PJ Harvey - so the producers were maybe goths in the 80s?) and the mostly terrible accents (I'm originally from Birmingham myself). But, despite all of this, it has ended up becoming one of my all-time favourite tv shows. I can't remember if it starts slowly... but I would say it's worth sticking with (if you feel so inclined). I can't promise anything but it's possible that we have similar tastes as I was also a big fan of The Knick :)

There are some great performances in Peaky Blinders, both from the main cast and the various guest stars. Tom Hardy as Alfie Solomons really is a treat.

Maybe I'll give it another go. I'd have to re-watch the first episode. Right now I'm making my way through The Blacklist. I can't say it's a compelling watch but I'm enjoying it.

Just re-read this and thought I'd mention Person of Interest.

Also being a little bit of a David Duchovney fan, having been an extremely ardent fan of The X-Files in it's original run (and still enjoying it except for Season 10) I'm at the end of season 3 of Californication and loving it. Since Hank Moody parallels DD himself (brilliant, writer, sex addict but not alcoholic), it fits him pretty well and the character works with his style.

I am off to spend a few hours with finishing up S3 of The Walking Dead though.

I binge watched Dark Matter on NetFlix last weekend. Mostly it was a rehash of various elements from other shows combined into something new. The creativity was in how the parts were assembled. Pretty much like any new show I guess. I liked it well enough to watch all 13 episodes of the first season, and I'm looking forward to when NetFlix posts the 2016 season. I also enjoyed Continuum. Strangely these are both Canadian series. The leads in both shows have interesting resumes - at least according to IMDB.

Others:
Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul
Orange is the new Black
Weeds
Dexter (my wife found this one a little too dark)
Tudors
FireFly, followed by the movie Serenity
I like Person of Interest, but I'm way behind on the broadcast episodes (another one my wife finds to be too dark).

Mr Robot is back :) Huzzah!

Totally worth binging season 1 if you haven't seen it - it's sort of like Fight Club with hackers. Sort of...

I've watched the first two seasons of Peaky Blinders so far. The non-period music wasn't an issue with me, I think it works. I'm a Yank so I can't really judge the accents though I'm wondering what the heck is going on with the Tom Hardy character's accent. At times I find it very difficult to understand what he is saying. My niggles with the show - the fairly frequent self-references to themselves as the "Peaky Blinders" and Arthur's fairly frequent yelling are kind of annoying. I find Cillian Murphy's faux whisper delivery when speaking kind of distracting. That aside, I like the show and want to continue watching. For me, the show is pretty good but not a compelling watch like dramas of a similar era, The Knick or Boardwalk Empire.

no love for Prison break?

I loved most of the first season. Until they decided not follow the storyline through, but turn it into an almost perpetual series. Halfway through second season I quit it. The plot was totally stalled, it was like they were very careful to make sure that indifferent side stories gave something to show, while carefully making sure that the main plot didn't progress. I don't mind tv shows that focus on side stories, but they shouldn't keep focus on the main story then. Just my humble opinion.

Speaking of TV shows, everybody is stoked about the new Netflix series "Stranger Things".
I can only recommend it, 80s nostalgia with references to a lot of stuff. A bit scary sometimes, in an X-files way.

Biggest disappointment for me was the finale of Castle. I don't really watch TV, but Castle had been a show I followed for years. That show deserved better. Still, great show, with some downs, but a lot of memorable moments.

Had some downtime recently so I just binge-watched Bloodline. Worth checking out for some really stellar performances, and you might even see a ukulele in it...

This past week I have been binge-watching "Another Period" from Comedy Central. It is really out there, I can't tell if I like it or not but something gets me to come back for more. I have to do something until Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black and House of Cards come back. I actually thought about re-watching Breaking Bad again on the recommendation of a friend that has seen the entire series (I think) six times through. It isn't binging but I have been enjoying "The Night Of" on HBO as well.

The Last Ship would be a good watch for binging.

Also, just finished The Night Manager, a 6 part mini on AMC, I believe.

I have to do something until Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black and House of Cards come back. I actually thought about re-watching Breaking Bad again on the recommendation of a friend that has seen the entire series (I think) six times through. It isn't binging but I have been enjoying "The Night Of" on HBO as well.

I just back-to-backed the first three episodes of 'The Night Of' and am definitely hooked. Some really nice performances. In the absence of both GoT and WD I have been relying on Mr Robot and Ray Donovan for my TV fix. Mr Robot is impressive although kinda dense to just dip into. You really need to pay attention. I enjoy its postmodern vibe - it references lots of other things (most obviously Fight Club but there was a nod to The Man In The High Castle in a recent episode, also I'm sure they used some music from Capricorn One). The easter eggs appeal to my inner geek :) Ray Donovan is a workable mix of family melodrama and gangster-lite. I like the dark humour, and Jon Voight is a legend...

It all depends on what you like to watch.
I could recommend tons of shows, but you might not like any of them
Or you might like all of them and hate me for no longer having time for the ukulele

I never watch over the air tv, mostly because of commercials. Lately I've watched the entire "West Wing", "House of Cards" (both US and UK versions.....highly recommend UK version) among others on Amazon/Netflicks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom