Best size/materials to cut through a fireside jam?

Durango

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm very excited to join this community with all the expertise!

Long time guitar player that is looking for my first uke. Hopefully one that can hold its own against dreads and mandolins w/out amplification. Any suggestions on models, size, or materials? I've been looking at solid tops (perhaps spruce?) and want to spend around 200 new or used.

Thanks guys!

Have you thought about banjo ukes/ banjoleles?

Thanks Igor, I have not - although they certainly do project.

Since this would be my first, I'm looking for the traditional sound. Not sure if it's even possible this instrument can compete in the mix w/out an amp. If not, I'm looking for what would give me the best chance - in either volume or tone.

My loudest uke is a cedar top. Which is slightly odd, as it's a thin bodied travel uke.

Banjo - as much as it pains me to recommend it..... :D

Loudest straight wooden uke I have played in last couple of years is a Martin T1K tenor. Got a real bite to it.

I have jammed with a bluegrass group: banjo, guitars, mandolin. I had my Mainland mahogany tenor. I think that the other instruments just played a bit softer when my turn came around.

A reso uke would also work, but loud and cheap often don't play well together. Aquilas are often "louder" than most strings, but the trade of is perhaps an overly bright, sometimes brash tone. On many ukes however, they sound great also. Have you ruled out a uke with an eq and small but decent combo amp, perhaps with battery power? You are asking a lot of a uke...unless you want to spring for a Ko'Aloha koa concert. Not sure there's a louder one out there. Most of the really loud ukes I've heard have been all solid koa.

Oooops, just thought of something....in the budget department, those Kala tenor travel ukes are loud. Those little Ohana Vita ukes are pretty loud too. I don't care for the smaller travel ukes though.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I guess I'm going to strike that criteria from my list with the idea of getting a banjo uke further down the road. Though that sound would be great in one of my typical sessions, just wouldn't make for a good 1st uke.

Everyone speaks very highly of HMS, I think I'll give them a call. Got my eye on the solid cedar top Kala (concert or tenor?) among several others on their site including the Gretsch concert. It's going to get to the point where won't be able to watch one more video review and I'll just end up ordering a dolphin. :wallbash:

Banjolele or 8 string.

Banjo will definitely get you heard and they're a hoot to play. I used to play downstairs in the living room after my kids were asleep, and the banjo is the one that brings my wife out to shush me.

The flea/flukes also project pretty well.

i think ohana makes a nice resonator now. hms is a dealer, methinks. it'll give you a shot to be heard over the gits and mandos and more trad sound than a banjo.

koaloha is loudest solid body uke, koa, about 800 clams to get in.

larger ukes louder than smaller ukes, in general. tenor louder than concert.

cedar is mellow, beautiful but not punchy or loud, per se. plus, like a guitar, scratches and dings easily, esp. at fireside play-alongs where spirits are high; i would never, personally, get a cedar topped uke for that purpose.

finally, ask your pals to play softly...that usually works for a song or two before they forget and the ukulelist is drown out again, or, in your case, grabs a guitar and saves the uke for home play on the throne (where small ukes rule over larger ones).

have fun with it, d.

Last edited:
I'm going to echo a lot of the previous comments here. I lead an acoustic jam that usually has 15-20 acoustic guitarists and an electric bass. I play my Gold Tone tenor banjo-uke and Lanikai O-8E spruce-topped 8-string uke, both with Aquila strings. Both mostly hold their own, but the banjo-uke cuts through the best. The 8-stringer is plenty loud for smaller groups. The high C string helps it cut through.

- FiL

I'm going to echo a lot of the previous comments here. I lead an acoustic jam that usually has 15-20 acoustic guitarists and an electric bass. I play my Gold Tone tenor banjo-uke and Lanikai O-8E spruce-topped 8-string uke, both with Aquila strings. Both mostly hold their own, but the banjo-uke cuts through the best. The 8-stringer is plenty loud for smaller groups. The high C string helps it cut through.

- FiL

yep, and if you strum the 8 with a thin pick, it will almost equal a banjo uke in volume, unless you also play that with a pick, but that can be really annoying.

I think you'd be very happy with the Kala solid cedar top. Probably tenor just based on you coming from the guitar.

Top Bottom