People who give ukulele a bad rep.

Zakulele

Reaction score
I was on Fark.com (the music section) and a link was posted from Radioexile.com titled "8 musicians who need a punch to the face".

Ok on to the point. On this list they had musician Amanda Palmer. The first reason given was, "the absolute butchering of Radiohead’s “Creep” with her ukelele and moaning whale song. Thanks for destroying something beautiful."
I thought they were merely criticizing because of the ukulele, but when I heard it, I understood there point. That's just my opinion.
Here it for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKltlk8A6Lk

Anyways, if you find anyone bringing down "God's instrument" -Woodshed
Feel free to post.

I was on Fark.com (the music section) and a link was posted from Radioexile.com titled "8 musicians who need a punch to the face".

Ok on to the point. On this list they had musician Amanda Palmer. The first reason given was, "the absolute butchering of Radiohead’s “Creep” with her ukelele and moaning whale song. Thanks for destroying something beautiful."
I thought they were merely criticizing because of the ukulele, but when I heard it, I understood there point. That's just my opinion.
Here it for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKltlk8A6Lk

Anyways, if you find anyone bringing down "God's instrument" -Woodshed
Feel free to post.

I don't know what exactly it is she's meant to be doing on that video, but she certainly IS NOT playing that ukulele, poor instrument. I didn't think her voice was that bad though.

Oh and it's crazily out of tune.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was bad.

The ukulele is a humble instrument, and I think that people with elitist attitudes who bash others do the ukulele a far greater disservice than anyone who plays and sucks. (No, I'm not referring to the original poster; the folks I'm referring to aren't UUers).

Having never heard the original, I don't think this was bad on it's own. I think the writer was just a big Radiohead fan - you know fans can be really sensitive to covers. I've been guilty of it myself.

Yeah I saw that video a few days ago... I thought it was awesome.
She kinda captured what the song is about... she's creepy....

It only makes sense that she would "play" creepy too.

I think she's neato. Totally unique belty voice. She did say that she's a piano player first. Thought the uke playing was good. But I kept thinking she was gonna drop it. Anyway, she's alright in my book- for whatever that's worth. :)

I love this song. I play it on ukulele, but not like it's being played by Amanda Palmer. We all have different styles and talents.

I find a bit of irony in critiquing Amanda Palmer's version. To me, the words of this song pokes fun at conceit. My apologies if I offended anyone, as no ill-will is intended.

I'm madly in love with Amanda F. Palmer.

The reason I play Creep on the uke is because of a video of her doing it at a bar. Wandering around, walking on the bar, leaning up against some (lucky!) guy in the crowd while they both belted out the bridge.

*sigh*

I think there's much too much worry about whether or not the proverbial "they" are taking the ukulele seriously enough.

I've never heard the original, but I thought this was nice, EXCEPT that the uke was badly out of tune! (It's just one of my pet peeves...)

Me too! Oh god i HATE that! Most people never tune the uke right so when they play it, it sounds crappy, and then they assume the uke itself is a lame instrument. I'd havta agree with most of the people here, he voice is beautifully unique, but the ukulele itself just sounds bad. Haha, my friend has that same one and it sounds like a toy compared to my Kala.

Sorry
but I don't drink Haterade

i honestly didnt think it sounded bad,
if u can go on stage and by the end of the song get the crowd to sing along, then that is pretty boss

her playing was basic but lets not all forget we all started off sounding basic like that at one point.

I never heard the original but I thought the uke accented the singing and mood of the song even though it wasn't a Kamaka or Martin or whatever. Kind of a funky plunk to go with a funky song.

I actually really want to learn "Creep" on the uke, and saw this video and thought 'oh heeyyy it can be done!'

however, isn't she holding the uke wrong? or playing it kind of strange? It looks really funny to me.

I like her voice, too.

HAHAHAHAHA!
was that muted strum in the beginning an attempt at a dramatic effect? She did something like triggering the star power in guitar hero. Pfft
Her voice isn't bad, but that was a very poor song choice IMO. And that is a very unfortunate ukulele indeed. The percussion sound of the chunk after every strum simply takes away from the song.

Uking is definitely not her thing. And it's not something she should do again (muted-strum HAHA)

*EDIT*
Okay, it was not as bad as I said it, but it just wasn't good.
Her playing was pretty basic, which isn't bad, but the style just didn't go with the song, not to mention the person. It was shocking that people were singing with her at the end.......after all of....that. If she did want to do it again, try some music that was actually recorded in uke...

Last edited:
If she did want to do it again, try some music that was actually recorded in uke...

i think i enjoy the uke the most when people perform in genres that werent "meant" for the uke

i think i enjoy the uke the most when people perform in genres that werent "meant" for the uke

Me as well. I like it when people take a non-traditional uke song and make it a badass uke cover. :worship: With that said, I didn't mind the cover but I agree with everyone else that said her uke didn't sound so great. :p

Top Bottom