People who give ukulele a bad rep.

I really liked that, actually. All of it. Even the mistuned uke. There's some sort of eerie simplicity to it that goes along with the "creep" subject matter.
I like her voice as well.

Plus it gives us hope. If she can entertain a whole crowd of people with a mistuned uke and basic strumming, imagine what you could do with a more in-dept uke song.

Actually, I've been wondering... Is it even really possible to give uke a bad rep? I mean it's such a charming instrument all on it's own that it seems respectable no matter how it's played. Maybe I just can't think of anyone right now whose really butchered the instrument.

Last edited:
Yep,,, She sure sucks, hahah say that one fast,,3x
but i think she know's it,, listen to the song she's singing,"Creep", the words are very fitting,,, so for that she deserves sum sort of credit,, but a punch in the face seems a bit extreme,,,,,,,,Maybe,,,,,,,,,,,um,,,,,
just 1 in the guts,,haha

A search on YouTube will find dozens of clips of Amanda Palmer playing Creep, some better than others, usually a bit out of tune and a bit rough around the edges but what all of them have in common is an audience who are loving it.

I don't think its bad at all... Yeah the uke could use a tuning but I think she did good.

Put down the haterade, it is not refreshing.

I like it. Why? Because she had the balls to get up and play it in front of people. So her uke wasnt in tune... So what? The crowd LOVED her, and sometimes, thats all that matters--

ER... before I get grumpy(I'm a raging ball of blue eyeshadowed pms... so I know to cool it before I get all ranty)

People in glass houses should'nt toss the first boulder. Ya'know?

speaking of people who give uke players a bad name...

i was in school yesterday and i always got my uke with me and i play it whereever i go. i pretyy much know most of the uke players at school and we all love jammin with each other.
my friend tells me he spotted another guy playing uke one day so i decide to find him and say watsup.
i finally see this guy walking around campus with his uke so i walk up next to him, said "nice uke" and the usual "wats up?"
but then he responds in a way ive never heard from another uke player...
after my greeting he looks at me with a strange look and goes... "PssSH!" and speedwalks off ,
as if he felt he was better than me or something.

i think those are the people who give uke a bad name
where is the love?

i was in school yesterday and i always got my uke with me and i play it whereever i go. i pretyy much know most of the uke players at school and we all love jammin with each other.
my friend tells me he spotted another guy playing uke one day so i decide to find him and say watsup.
i finally see this guy walking around campus with his uke so i walk up next to him, said "nice uke" and the usual "wats up?"
after my greeting he looks at me with a strange look and goes... "PssSH!" and speedwalks off ,

where is the love?

wow, what a prick!!! that guy is going to live a pretty miserable life with that attitude. it says heaps about his character.

i liked the cover, not a fan of radiohead. She was creepy as others have said before, which helps tons for the song. she did need a chair though.

One of my favorite artists, tom gabel, has a blog (really well written btb). He was talking about one of his poorer solo performaces and how the guitar was very thin sounding "kind of like an ukulele". that made me lol pretty hard.

This thread makes me wonder if Banjo players get bent out of shape watching old Steve Martin routines. The Uke is what it is, just like any other instrument.

Now, I do understand that the Uke has long been the red headed step child of the instrument world.

The thing some people never seem to get is that ANY publicity is good publicity. Search Youtube and I am absolutly certain that you will find all matter of folk butchering all kinds of music on every instrument imaginable. All of those videos have one thing in common. Someone, somewhere is going to watch them and think to themselves "I'd like to learn how to play that instrument."

We are never going to move the Uke forward as a respected instrument by bashing performances we don't apreciate. We may in fact never get the majority to realize that the Uke can do wonderful things...(history backs me up on this)...My advice is ignore every thing any non uke player has to say on the subject. Play what you love, hope what you do will open some minds.

The Uke has exactly as many strings as a Violin. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who thinks of a Violin as anything other than a serious instrument, even though there are undoubtadly lots of crap Violin vids.

where is the love?

Ahh; that reminds me. I too brought my ukulele to schoolio and all the other uke players were looking at me like " Whaat the heck is she dooing?" And they came up to me and said "Heey lady, only Good uke players can play on campus. And that means seniors only." I guess its cuz im a freshmen.. Theyre meanies. Haha x] Anyways

So they were playing at lunch and i was too but across the campus and i kinda stole their crowd. And then they walked over hearing me play "Falling" by Sirs Dustin and Philip [tsud123&&ChronosXD on youtube.] and one was saying "Maaan, shes hecckkaaa good. SHes better then all of us put together.." And i guess the "leader" of the pack , he grabbed my fret board in the middle of the song and was like " Youre such an ugly uke freak." :rolleyes:

LOL; idk, random story time ? xD
It just reminded me of that.. thought id share :)

And i guess the "leader" of the pack , he grabbed my fret board in the middle of the song and was like " Youre such an ugly uke freak." :rolleyes:

ZOMG That guy deserves to be smacked. Oh well, at least you can take it as a compliment - that's the bright side. ;)

Top Bottom