111th Season of the Ukulele

Just got home from a live show at the coffeehouse in our little town. Ray Wylie Hubbard played 2 hours of great country blues. Then - YES! for his encore (after a standing ovation) he played his one hit wonder from 1973 - Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother.
We all sang along.

And that's all she wrote.

I'll get comments up on these last few entries, and figure prizes out by week's end. Thanks for a great season!

The last of the comments:

ukuleledaveey: The Trail Of The Lonsome Pine - Laurel and Hardy: This was lovely Daveey! A perfect uke song, excellently played and sung. I'd love to get a copy of the chart you're using for it, if you have it or a link to it handy, mate. Really great. And I am always a huge fan of the shaken uke vibrato on the ringing chord at the end. Old. School. Plus, gotta love the wierdness of releasing this as a single in 1975. So, so strange.

SailQuest: One Tin Soldier - The Original Caste/Coven: You play so nicely together. Always fun to see what you will do. Nice lead work at the top and tail of the song, and an expressive vocal, too. Well done!

GaryC1968: Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd: This is a simple but effective acoustic arrangement of the song, Gary. Nice picking at the top and tail, and allowing the strum for the peak of the song is great. Good to have you back in the Seasons! Well done.

UkeCan1: There She Goes - The La's: Whoa, I started singing along on the second word. Wasn't expecting that from the title and description, neither of which I remembered. But this one is pretty ingrained for me, I guess, so great song choice! Well picked at the top, and nice rhythmic changes in the strum throughout, even when it stymies you a bit here and there! Well done.

myrnaukukulele: I Wanna Hold Your Hand - The Beatles: Your voice sounds great on this Myrna -- the bari too. I love the way the chord rings in that first transition to the bridge, and your transition out of the bridge is really effective, too. Great job!

Make sure that I got you on the playlists, kids. Over a hundred videos this week with three categories, so managing them has been slightly tricky.

There's a difference between acknowledged third-party content, where the song owner allows you to keep the video up but will take a share of proceeds in the event your videos ever become monetized, and a copyright strike where the owner has requested the video come down. You only get three of the latter type. If you get a notice about third party content but don't acknowledge it, chances are you'd get hit with a strike for that too.

There's a difference between acknowledged third-party content, where the song owner allows you to keep the video up but will take a share of proceeds in the event your videos ever become monetized, and a copyright strike where the owner has requested the video come down. You only get three of the latter type. If you get a notice about third party content but don't acknowledge it, chances are you'd get hit with a strike for that too.
ouch

i've never had a strike

thank you for explaining

that is pretty harsh

I made the mistake of posting a recording by the-artist-formerly-known-as-but-apparently-known-again-as-Prince, who I only found out afterwards is very aggressive about dishing out the strikes on his material.

You don't have to acknowledge anything if a video is flagged for "third-party content". YouTube is just telling you it has been flagged, and if you choose to click, you can find out what party is claiming the rights (but you don't have to bother) and any potential royalties from views of your video. If they're claiming rights to an original song you wrote, there is value in challenging that. Otherwise, you don't need to bother. Atlantic Records is good at noticing when I do Genesis covers, and claiming their rights. No problem there. I know it's their song, they know it, YouTube knows it, we're all good with it.

But there are some artists where the company managing the copyrights will not let you post the cover song at all, and these can potentially earn you your three strikes. The Eagles, Supertramp, Prince, Jimi Hendrix...

I made the mistake of posting a recording by the-artist-formerly-known-as-but-apparently-known-again-as-Prince, who I only found out afterwards is very aggressive about dishing out the strikes on his material.

I once had a YT video banned in Germany, but not elsewhere, despite the music being available worldwide.

Well, this was a fantastic season, you kids. Thanks so much for jumping in with me to celebrate the glory of pop - via hits and back catalog goodness. So many great videos this week - made for some really tough judging decisions.

First, I want to give a shout out to xommen and uke4ia for filling out their back catalogs so prodigiously. Nicely done, boys!

And now, for this week's winners:

One-hit wonder: filipinouker with Melt With You
Back Catalog: greenie/onlyukethatmatters with Geno
#1 at age 11: onlyukethatmatters with Let's Dance

There are some Martin M600 strings waiting for you, winners, so PM me with an address and I'll post them out asap.

Yes thanks for a really fun week!! It was definitely one of my most productive and I liked how it got me to learn some songs I didn't know so well, while also getting to cover some old favorites. Grats winners!!!

Woohoo. Muchas gracias, Mr. dee. Super fun Season for me---thanks again to greenie44 for putting together Geno---long distance collaborations are a blast. I thought everyone's performance was one-hit wondrous.

Top Bottom